Skirt Train up the Mountain

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Clothesfreedom

Skirt Train up the Mountain

Post by Clothesfreedom »

After my beach frolics and first skirty outing in my first ever post here, I opted for said skirt again as I took a 3 hour train and then a public bus to a popular tourist spot as my holiday continues.

My first port of call was the busy morning Metro, then to the train station ticket office, then boarding, then transferring to a bus. I'll admit at times it was fun, other times felt weird, but I didn't let that stop my day. Often people didn't realise or they didn't care. The hardest part was my train seat was opposite a mother and son - what an education for the boy! Maybe they though I was Scottish. Maybe they didn't care. I had to be real careful uncrossing my legs and I'd have preferred (as imagined) a seat to myself, facing no-one, with my skirt riding high and legs out for sun. That couldn't happen.

The bus transfer was quiet, so the legs did see sun, and that freedom from eyes and trousers was probably the best part. All in all an experience, just not sure when or if I'll repeat it. Maybe I'm not ready for public skirting yet.

I'm glad I tried it though, a day I'll never forget.

What do you lot do for underwear? What works best in skirts for you? Why? Do you go commando? That would be my choice, but how to stop the chafing?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Train up the Mountain

Post by Sinned »

Commando or regimental if wearing a kilt is beeherally not advised due to the possibility of exposure and subsequent accusations of deliberately flashing. I guess that the vast majority of the time we wear underthings and black seems a favourite although it's not really a topic for conversation. Whether the underwear is female or male oriented is neither here or there and is a matter for personal taste and comfort. So don't expect to see a lot of discussion about this.

As to whether you will repeat your outing only you will know if you are ready. Yes care should be taken when sitting in a short skirt but I've never found it to be a problem. If you were comfortable wearing the skirt and not conscious of any wary glances then why not - it's not illegal and nobody else's business.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

When I first started wearing kilts and skirts I put a lot of thought into the problem of what to wear underneath. On the assumption that sooner or later somebody would get a glimpse of it and would probably have already wondered if I might be wearing a skirt because I was some sort of pervert, I tried to make sure that it was as innocuous as possible.

White was ruled out because it shows up too obviously (and gets dirty too quickly). Black was ruled out because it is reminiscent of schoolgirls' knickers. In the end I settled for pale blue and a slightly androgenous style with the leg-hole cut of a Y-front but without the extra panels and seams that shout "Hey look! I'm a bloke!". I've never had anyone mention them.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Did you go commando when you wear pants . :?: If not than why would you want to do it in a skirt. You have a choice of Boxers or briefs A dark colored pair of briefs would be your best choice. or a pair that match the color of your skirt. You have to make a choice are you a man who wants to wear a skirt or a possible exhibitionst
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Clothesfreedom wrote:After my beach frolics and first skirty outing in my first ever post here, I opted for said skirt again as I took a 3 hour train and then a public bus to a popular tourist spot as my holiday continues.

My first port of call was the busy morning Metro, then to the train station ticket office, then boarding, then transferring to a bus. I'll admit at times it was fun, other times felt weird, but I didn't let that stop my day. Often people didn't realise or they didn't care. The hardest part was my train seat was opposite a mother and son - what an education for the boy! Maybe they though I was Scottish. Maybe they didn't care. I had to be real careful uncrossing my legs and I'd have preferred (as imagined) a seat to myself, facing no-one, with my skirt riding high and legs out for sun. That couldn't happen.

The bus transfer was quiet, so the legs did see sun, and that freedom from eyes and trousers was probably the best part. All in all an experience, just not sure when or if I'll repeat it. Maybe I'm not ready for public skirting yet...
Oh, trust me, if you did all that and survived, you're ready.
Clothesfreedom wrote:...What do you lot do for underwear? What works best in skirts for you? Why? Do you go commando? That would be my choice, but how to stop the chafing?
I enjoy going commando/regimental but only in fairly full, knee-length or longer skirts. With anything else the risk of accidental exposure is just too great.

If I'm going to wear tights (which is most of the time) I usually wear them over women's "boy short" panties.

If I'm going bare-legged, I usually wear Calvin Kline cotton thong briefs for men.

For hiking, under a utility kilt I wear cotton briefs that extend to mid-thigh.

And all of those in black.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

Thanks for these informative answers. I guess it comes down to a personal preference, obviously, and my underwear draw has almost every type you could imagine!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

When I am going to be somewhere that I sit, such as a restaurant, I bring a tee shirt and place it over my knees much like a napkin. I am not uncomfortable in those situations and no one has noticed. I wear neutral colors underneath. If the rules don't permit comments about underwear, but they do allow discussion about commando that seems odd to me.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:If the rules don't permit comments about underwear, but they do allow discussion about commando that seems odd to me.
[Mod hat on]

As a clarification, this time with me writing in the capacity of moderator, neither one is particularly welcome. The team is willing to tolerate some commentary on the matter, but mostly don't appreciate it.

Yes, all of us on the team know that it's a burning question, but since the garments -- or lack thereof -- are not intended to be on public display and don't alter the outward shape or appearance of the skirt are merely a distraction that it's all too easy to attach fetish to which decreases the S/N (Signal-to-Noise) ratio of the forum -- and may well be publicly visible by search-engines and the like.

I'm sure that the community has wide and diverse preferences for style and fabric, but this is The Skirt Cafe not the Underwear Cafe.

[Mod hat off]

Yep, that dratted thing is still scratchy as all get-out.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:as all get-out.
Carl...? Did you just use southern slang?

Fur ya know it you go-be a-'murican! :lol: :P
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

Mods- thanks for being tolerant on the thread. The underwear issue is very relevant to wearing skirts in public, so getting the thoughts of regular skirt wearing members has really helped. Cheers!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Carl...? Did you just use southern slang?
I have been known to do that from time to time... :lol:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl/Moon, now can I have the translation from 'Mericun to Inglish?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Carl/Moon, now can I have the translation from 'Mericun to Inglish?
I can't speak for Moon, but have you ever found my grasp of the tongue(s) troublesome or difficult to comprehend? If so, I need to work on my writing a bit.

I candidly admit to trying to "pull folks along" a bit so they get used to moderately advanced usage instead of staying strictly within the "basic 600". (The "basic 600" refers to the number of words the typical 'Mericun uses in their normal vocabulary. That's a paltry number, so I am guilty of sprinkling in some unusual words from time to time in a -- perhaps vain -- attempt to get more words into general use.)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, I find your language most eloquent and easy to understand. I appreciate your grasp of grammar and vocabulary and care in phrasing in an age where standards have dropped to an all-time low. I took an Advanced Level in English Language a few years ago in order to add to my understanding and so I knew when rules could be, if not broken to add emphasis, then at least bent a little. Slang is different because the phrasing has very local meaning and it's that last phrase that I didn't understand. "Yep, that dratted thing is still scratchy as all get-out." I fail to see the context in which this is used is all so that I can put a meaning to it.

BTW I like Moon's use of the different spellings to convey the southern accent. We use similar phonetic spellings to convey our local accents as well.
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

This has turned into a language thread - how interesting.