My first real skirt venture

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Clothesfreedom

My first real skirt venture

Post by Clothesfreedom »

Hello all!

Firstly, Thanks to the admin who run this informative site and to all who contribute. Without you lot, today's tale might never have happened, let alone be told!

A quick backstory first. I became interested in clothes typically associated in today's society by women, about 7 years ago. It started out as underwear bought by a lady friend, and moving onto tights and pantyhose which make me feel sexy and great. I often wonder how it is so unfair that we don't have the choices women have in that department. In the last year my interest has grown to kilts, skirts and oversized vests (which can be turned into dresses when pulled down), coinciding with reading this site a lot, helping me feel comfortable with my lifestyle choices.

I ended up purchasing a kilt for hiking (so far unused outside) but it'll get its day in nature, probably next year now, and later a leather kilt, a fairly expensive purchase, to be my outfit for Gay Pride festival (I'm straight, not that it matters). I was well excited in the weeks leading up to it, knowing my trio of girls I was going with would see my 'costume' and I'd be outside in a kilt among thousands of people. The forces of nature were against us, two girls got sick so the third pulled out and our festival was off. I had an expensive kilt waiting, a party to go to, but I had lost my trio. I managed to get a girl who I'd been planning to date for ages to go with me, we danced the night away and the kilt was aired to the public, but it wasn't as I imagined after losing my trio. There is always next year. Seeing another kilt as I was passing a guy I shouted "Nice skirt", he barked "It's not a sk..." before realising and eventually smiling when he saw I had one on too. A nice moment.

Fast forward to today and I'm on holiday overseas. I've recently be sleeping in oversized vests which pull down to become dresslike. They are very light and easy to wear, try it, if you haven't already. My hotel is quiet so I've been having breakfast in the kitchen area with a large balcony, looking out to sea in my 'dress'. Lovely.

I found a beach skirt on Amazon and purchased one and that is where my story really starts. Could I go out and wear a skirt? The dress is shorts-like so maybe mentally that made it easier, but I've been having a great holiday, so nothing was going to stop me - I was excited about today. After another balcony dress breakfast then showering, I slipped on my blue above-the-knee beach skirt, put on sunscreen, took a selfie, and headed to the beach. First stop the supermarket, I didn't hear any sniggering or see any silent whispering, besides I was on holiday enjoying myself so I couldn't really care; T
this is my time. Next onto the beach to meet a friend (he said nothing, haha) then after the beach a walk around the harbour where I got people to take my photo as I revelled in my first public skirt appearance in a Titanic like gesture with the sea behind me. Yes, it felt good! A beach skirt is now my holiday must have, along with passportn foreign currency, a hat, smartphone, a good book, sunscreen and a camera. Try it!

I'd love to hear your thoughts or even your memory of your first time. Thanks again for putting me onto the road here. I'm sure they'll be more adventures to document. X
Last edited by Clothesfreedom on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: My first real skirt venture

Post by oldsalt1 »

First Welcome to the Cafe. :welcome: If you been reading I guess that you will see that we sometimes go off on a tangent but it is all in good fun. Going out the way you did was a very big step. Most of us on the cafe started with little steps ( it would seem from your choice of words that you are from someplace in europe) to the Gas (petrol ) station and the corner store or deli. I look forward to hearing your comments and opinions. and of course your photos. Enjoy the cafe
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Welcome Clothesfreedom,

You sure did the deed. Going out and wearing a skirt for the first. Keep up the good times and really enjoy your choices. :thumright: :thumright:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Clothesfreedom wrote:
Fast forward to today and I'm on holiday overseas. I've recently be sleeping in oversized vests which pull down to become dresslike. They are very light and easy to wear, try it if you haven't already. My hotel is quiet so I've been having breakfast in the kitchen area with a large balcony, looking out to sea in my 'dress'. Lovely.
Welcome! :D

So...improvised night shirts?
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Welcome to the Cafe. Sounds like you'll have a great time now that first big step has been taken.

Pete
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

Grok wrote:
So...improvised night shirts?

Well, kind of. They are vests than double as dresses which are very comfy to sleep in. They can act as a vest with shorts if one is shy and just popping out to post a letter or to grab something from the supermarket, plus the vest could be pulled over the shorts (or shorts removed) once you get to place where you feel comfortable doing so. You've gotta love that!

It's not rocket science, but I love these flexi dresses and vest tops are perfect to have for this Euro holiday in the sun.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Well done for making the move to public. I think all start off taking small steps. I certainly did and mine was about 7 years ago.

With the passage of time and more outings you will find your confidence becomes stronger and stronger and being out on your own as well. As with all aspects of life it is easier going out with others but not impossible.

Welcome to Skirtcafe.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

Thanks theSkirtedman and all who replied, I thought there were more active members here. My second post is up. Thanks again. Cool to share here.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome to the board, Clothesfreedom, and congratulations on your first outing. As others have stated, and as most new skirt-wearers can't believe, it only gets easier from there. But it really does. Rock on!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

Thanks Caultron. It felt easier second time around, but I was more daring in using public transport. My second post will tell you all about it.