parents

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: parents

Post by hairy »

At the age of about 21, one of the best things I did was move into my own flat and OUT of my parents. I could then do what I wanted, go where I wanted and not have to answer to anyone. That was so very many years ago. Now settled, old and married with a 20 something daughter. I can wear skirts around my own house all the time. I made a good move all those years ago.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

hairy wrote:At the age of about 21, one of the best things I did was move into my own flat and OUT of my parents.
Yes, my moving into a place of my own at 18 was a decidedly good move, although I did have flat-mates for several years as my career was firming up. By 23 I was entirely self-sufficient.

My word, that was a long time ago!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

OP,

How's it going with parents and skirts at home or out and about? Bought anything new? With M&S looking on the verge of collapse, there may be some bargains... their chino pencil skirts and Indigo Denims are quite nice :wink:
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

kilty wrote:OP,

How's it going with parents and skirts at home or out and about? Bought anything new? With M&S looking on the verge of collapse, there may be some bargains... their chino pencil skirts and Indigo Denims are quite nice :wink:

I've not long got back of holiday ,been on a cruise around the Baltic ,it was good most of the time i wore a skirt .Apart from Saint Petersburg i wasn't sure how the Russians would react so decided to play it safe .The only problem i had, was one time i was walking around the ship by the pool deck walked up a set of stairs as i did someone aimed a camera my way .I'm not sure if they were filming me or got a good photo. I did get asked why but she did it in a nice way first she asked if she could ask a personal question .It was too early in the morning so i said it was a personal choice she seamed happy with this .Went to three places in Denmark Skagen Aarhus and Copenhagn Helsinki Finland Berlin Stockholm Sait Petersburg and Berlin .Usually i do ships excursions but some i did my own thing explored the town on my own . One thing I'm finding hard while wearing a skirt is tying my shoe laces . My Mum tolerates me wearing a skirt around the house I don't go out a lot so I am not sure how she would react if i did wearing a skirt . I am trying not to spend anything at the moment ,I overspend on holiday with another to pay off .

Berlin

Dinner mates on the cruise ship

Art Museum Aarhus
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

eightofnine wrote:i wasn't sure how the Russians would react so decided to play it safe
Let's ask a male skirt wearing Russian... <----- Link
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

eightofnine wrote:I've not long got back of holiday ,been on a cruise around the Baltic ,it was good most of the time i wore a skirt .
That must've been a good time. Did you travel with family or "fly solo"?
I did get asked why but she did it in a nice way first she asked if she could ask a personal question .It was too early in the morning so i said it was a personal choice she seamed happy with this .
I can easily guess what the question was.
One thing I'm finding hard while wearing a skirt is tying my shoe laces .
If you have a problem tying them when you're in trousers you're going to have a hard time when wearing a skirt. Slip-on shoes (aka "loafers") are one solution to this problem; I haven't owned a pair of tie-shoes since I was in my late teens (many, many years ago).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

crfriend wrote:
If you have a problem tying them when you're in trousers you're going to have a hard time when wearing a skirt. Slip-on shoes (aka "loafers") are one solution to this problem; I haven't owned a pair of tie-shoes since I was in my late teens (many, many years ago).
I found it hard trying to tie them without exposing myself, one thing i would do is find somewhere to sit down
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

eightofnine wrote:I found it hard trying to tie them without exposing myself, one thing i would do is find somewhere to sit down
Depending on the length of the skirt, I can see this as being an issue. I've worn a few skirts with small stride that I felt were exposing me while bending down to tie a shoe. Normally I try to find a private corner to face in, of in the case of a grocery store for instance, I will turn and face the shelves with my legs as close together as I can. Normally crouching down almost on a knee, but not quite.

Also remember, that unless someone crawls up to you with their eye level at literally 12 inches off the floor, it's unlikely anyone will see anything. Perhaps, due to perspective, someone on the other side of a long aisle might, but at that distance it would be tough to make anything out.

Make every effort to be modest during this, (face the wall, shelving, etc) and try to do so under the watchful eye of an overhead security camera just in case anyone tries to accuse you of something....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

eightofnine wrote:
crfriend wrote:
I found it hard trying to tie them without exposing myself, one thing i would do is find somewhere to sit down
Sadly, mate, that's the nature of the beast.. I always make sure it's dark briefs if I have to tie shoes as this
35025058-concept-of-businesswoman-putting-on-running-shoes.jpg
can happen :oops: . To most girls, the occasional flash is no big deal, exposure comes with wearing skirts, probably why many are abandoning them for easier to wear jeans or leggings. I generally wear knee length / below the knee pencil skirts, midi length. Some are a little snug, but if I am teaming a denim skirt with trainers (sneakers, US :wink: ) or wearing comfy shoes with a formal skirt on my way out, I tie my trainers in such a way, I can slip them on and off like court shoes in the office.

You looked good in your recent trip, just a shame the pictures are a little small.

Try an easier slip on shoe, booties which most have a zip at thd side would suit you :wink:
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Sorry I have no edit function... in this skirt length / shoes to wear guide, not one of the shoes are laced
skirt-length-and-shoe-selection-guide.jpg
But I generally sit like this
Mini-Skirt-Outfits-20-e1492983867225-600x0.jpg
And never have an issue. If you are in a skater skirt or sundress, hopefully your skirt can save
m2013_12_27_8.jpg
any blushes if you sit well, like this guy ona train in Russia. The girls seem to dig him in a skirt or desss :wink:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

eightofnine wrote:...One thing I'm finding hard while wearing a skirt is tying my shoe laces...
Sit squarely with both feet on the floor, then bend forward and tie them (or buckle their straps or whatever).

But that does require a certain lack of belly flab.

Next alternative is finding something to set one foot on, like a rock or a bench or the bottom of a car door, facing away from anyone who may be around, and then bending forward to do the deed. The back of your skirt will usually rise up less than the front.

And or course it never hurts to be wearing something dark under.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Actually there is an omission from the display of footwear to wear with different length skirts. A mini or knee length skirt also suits calf length boots a la swinging sixties looks. In fact the look is very appealing, growl! :wink:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Calf length boots certainly keep the lower legs warm in winter....Many skirt wearers take off their long boots and replace them with shoes for
working indoors in the winter.......weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Going back to the original theme of this thread.....comments were made regarding the wearing of a long skirt......I feel that perhaps the answer
is to try to find a style of skirt which is not " worthy of a second look " and is not worthy of comment.
The way the skirt is worn does affect the amount of comment a "man in a skirt " is likely to get...... Colour and style of your skirt are important.

..............weeladdie