Average cost for?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
whorton

Average cost for?

Post by whorton »

Just curious,

(This does not seem to fit under sewing, as I am not a do it yourselfer, and would use a taylor to modify skirts)

Has anyone turned to a professional to have pockets modified or inserted in skirts? I am sure that many of us have simular complaints about skirts and the pathetically small pockets that are present, if at all. I have been entertaining the idea of having a professional modify the pockets to a reasonable size and in a couple of cases, pockets inserted.

Has anyone else done this? What is the average cost for doing such a thing? Have you been happy with the results?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Average cost for?

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have not bothered to modify any of my skirts. Instead I bought a shoulder bags and use it, besides it carries more stuff with out the bulges that pockets present.
Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Unless the skirt has a belted waist - pockets may not be the best method for hauling ones gear.
Certainly not with an elastic waist band.
Too much weight and London Skirt falling down.
With a fitted waist zipper button closure the load should stay put.
The off or on shoulder bag would be a better option keeping the skirt lines unencumbered.
Best application for pockets on a skirt is the cargo type positioned off the hips.
Putting them on the behinder does this make my butt look big ?
In front hinders the fluid movement of the skirt when sitting.

Obsession with pockets - to each his own !

I wear a belt with attached shoulder bag like a sporran and worn off the left hip.
No screwing the pleats and nothing to interfering with forward leg movement in the front.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I will echo what Mr. Anderson said. The only skirt that would suit a pocket would be one with belt loops. Elastic skirt are liable to fall down under any substantial weight.

As for me, I just carry a purse, even when wearing skirts with pockets...

Truthfully it greatly helps my back when driving. I'd love to carry it even when wearing trousers, including on the job, but it ain't worth the drama I'd encounter, and possibly the loss of said employment... back disc be damned... :|
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I can't help about cost as I have never had pockets retrofitted. I once bought a skirt that had a cargo look to it and the pocket came separately and was attached via the belt. That could be an option with a bit of complementary material, and if the skirt didn't have belt loops, you could still wear a belt to hold the pocket.
I do like good pockets but not all skirts have them and I use a shoulder bag anyway for mobile phone and wallet.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

I am going next week to have several skirts altered. I have several that I would like to add pockets to as well. When the seamstress or TAILOR let me know if they can do it, I will report back here to this thread as to the cost.
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be possible to prevent a loaded skirt from falling if the elastic waste band incorporated a drawstring? Do many elastic waste skirts even incorporate a drawstring?

I personally prefer pockets over a shoulder bag. With pockets, you always have a convenient place to put phone, keys, and wallet as a convenient side effect of wearing clothes.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

webboy42 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be possible to prevent a loaded skirt from falling if the elastic waste band incorporated a drawstring? Do many elastic waste skirts even incorporate a drawstring?

I personally prefer pockets over a shoulder bag. With pockets, you always have a convenient place to put phone, keys, and wallet as a convenient side effect of wearing clothes.
I have a couple of elastic waisted skirts with draw strings which do add to feeling of security. Not many skirts have pockets that will accommodate my fat wallet let alone big phone.
Elasticated braces work well with pants as there is a limit (ouch) to how high they lift, but taking a heaving object from a pocket of a mini skirt is a bit like removing ballast from a hot air balloon.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Some skirts come with generous pockets. Dickie's skirts have four large pockets. Buttersoft scrub skirts have deep pockets. I have other skirts with nice pockets. Get a shoulder bag for wallet, credit cards, cell phone, keys. etc. I have about five of them that look masculine. One of them was online for $12 and has a large zipper compartment, a smaller one, and two velcro fastened flap pockets. It looks very military. I liked it so well that I have another one for back up.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

A man bag is a must for me. Trouble is that how ever my bag gets the more I fill. Phones, camera's wallet, keys and too much more to mention all in my man bag. One thing I have to be careful about is that it can catch on my short skirt and lift the hem up a bit, which was something my wife had to point out to me while walking around a car and bike show at the weekend where hundreds of people were getting a look at too much thigh.