Zippers

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Regular Guy

Zippers

Post by Regular Guy »

I'd like to hear your thoughts on zippers and where you prefer them. Back or side. Exposed or hidden.

Clearly, denim and some cargo skirts are in the front.

I just bought an Ann Taylor pencil skirt off ebay. It has an exposed back zip with some contrast piping around the zipper outline. It looked good on the mannequin :))

i have both exposed and hidden zippers on my skirts, and am just curious about the preferences of others here.
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Zippers

Post by crfriend »

Regular Guy wrote:I'd like to hear your thoughts on zippers and where you prefer them. Back or side. Exposed or hidden.
I have a couple of skirts with zips on the side, and I like those very much. I don't have any with them in the back, so really cannot comment. What I do not like, though, is the highly visible zip; to me they look sloppy, and skirts -- at least to me -- ought to look refined and finished. If raw function is all you're after, then jeans are the way to go.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

A few skirts I bought have jeans-style zippers in the front. Most skirts from my own production have zippers in the front. A few skirts with darts have a zipper in the side. My first skirts have slightly visible zippers because I had no idea yet how to hide them. At some time I learnt how to hide them and even how to make them invisible in the jeans-style. I prefer zippers in the front but if that is not possible, at the side.
Sewing a zipper in a skirt (or any other piece of clothing) is a very precise job and I still don't know how to do it professionally. While sitting my zippers are quite visible when sewn in the front. Theu bulge out a little. Zippers in the side are behaving much better.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I have several bespoke skirts, all of which have trouser-type fly front with hidden zipper. By far the best arrangement. Next is the side zipper just behind one of the slash pockets. These have a hook & eye or button waist fastening above the zip, which has enough material round it to hide it when done up. Worst is the rear zip. These I generally do up at the front, then rotate the skirt round 180 deg. to its proper alignment.

Exposed 'designer' zips are for me a total no-no.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I have skirts with zippers in front, side, back, and none at all. I'm OK with any of those. I think zipper location is a pretty minor detail compared to wearing the skirt itself.

But I do think thick chrome zippers, like those on motorcycle jackets, do seem more masculine.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Most of my minis have the zipper at the front which is easy to access but remind me of zipper flys which are unecessary on skirts. I do like zips on the side or back, as a change from pants fastening, and have no trouble operating them. I don't mind the exposed zip when it is full length, disengaging, allowing the skirt to be put on like a wrap skirt. I have a couple of skirts with short zips on the hem which give extra movement when required. I have at least one skirt with a rear zip and belt loops, which is strange when you undo the belt buckle at the front and the zip at the back.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm with Caultron here in that zips are a minor issue as is where they are located. I am not keen on pointless zips, that is zips which are just for decoration and serve no purpose. You do get those on certain marketed-for-women garments.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote: ..............and skirts -- at least to me -- ought to look refined and finished. If raw function is all you're after, then jeans are the way to go.
I often wear skirts for raw function and find them better than jeans for that. I acknowlege that you included "at least for me", and you always look refined and dignified in the way you dress.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I don't care for the in your face bold zipper either. Other than that I really don't care where they are.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

I always prefer the front zip so the skirt looks more like a traditional male garment. But I do have a few back and side zips. The side one from LL Bean is a really nice skirt and easy to get on and off. I didn't think it would be easy when I bought it.
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

I do prefer zippers on the front, since it makes it easy to pee at a urinal, without having to lift your skirt :oops: or need to get in a booth.

Tes
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

tesjolts wrote:I do prefer zippers on the front, since it makes it easy to pee at a urinal, without having to lift your skirt :oops: or need to get in a booth.

Tes
I just go in a stall, lift my skirt and sit down... its easier than the performance at a urinal that would just make other guys feel uncomfortable. Some of my denim pencil skirts have side zips, and those with zips at the front have zips just designed to slip your skirt on, so aren't long enough to use at the urinal. Plus it's easier to re arrange my slip, knickers and tights in a stall if in a more formal skirt for work for instance :oops: :wink:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I find that front zippers on skirts virtually never go down far enough for a proper pee. So I put them in he same category as faux pockets. I suppose I could unbuckle, unbutton, unzip, drop, go, lift, zip, button, and buckle but how can that be easier than just lifting the hem?

The first time I used a urinal in a public place was in a men's room at pro hockey game between periods. So the room was packed and there were lines. I probably would've chickened except that I really had to go. So I just told myself, "Self, if we can do this we can do anything," and then together we did it.

And sure enough, now I can do anything. Whenever I find myself hesitating, I just tell myself it's less nervy than that first time in the men's room.

Of course if my skirt is short enough or tight enough, then I do use a stall, because lifting the front enough for a pee lifts the back too much. And I have no desire to moon the guy behind me, especially with my control-top-covered butt.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Caultron wrote:I find that front zippers on skirts virtually never go down far enough for a proper pee. So I put them in he same category as faux pockets. I suppose I could unbuckle, unbutton, unzip, drop, go, lift, zip, button, and buckle but how can that be easier than just lifting the hem?

The first time I used a urinal in a public place was in a men's room at pro hockey game between periods. So the room was packed and there were lines. I probably would've chickened except that I really had to go. So I just told myself, "Self, if we can do this we can do anything," and then together we did it.

And sure enough, now I can do anything. Whenever I find myself hesitating, I just tell myself it's less nervy than that first time in the men's room.

Of course if my skirt is short enough or tight enough, then I do use a stall, because lifting the front enough for a pee lifts the back too much. And I have no desire to moon the guy behind me, especially with my control-top-covered butt.
If it is short (the skirt) you don't have to lift it much. I find that zips on pants are often too short and have to unbuckle - mini skirts are great even without front zips.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Front, side, rear, I don't mind where they are. Side ones are almost always concealed, and they never feel very sturdy. I often worry that the zip will break, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't have many with a rear zip, and until recently they were all concealed as well. But a couple of weeks ago I bought one with a chunky exposed rear zip, and I'm quite happy with that too - after all, I don't have to look at it!

As for zips and going to the toilet, I don't think any of my skirt front zips are long enough to get the male member through comfortably or easily. Hardly surprising, really! I just lift and pee, it's much easier, no matter how long the skirt. In one or two I might slightly expose my derriere by the time I have lifted the front up enough, but those ones tend to restrict my stride so I don't wear them much. Two relevant details: if I'm wearing tights, the exposure would be less noticeable because there just one colour back there, and I very much doubt anyone is looking anyway, it's not the done thing.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair