Anyone else find white does not look right?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Anyone else find white does not look right?

Post by hairy »

For a while now I've been wanting to use lighter colours because I've spent my life in black being a biker. So I looked on the internet and brought myself a white denim A line mini, but it just don't look right on me. I also found the same recently when I tried on a white shirt. Do others of you find white is not for them? I can't send skirt back cuz wife chucked the labels away but she say's she don't want to go out with me wearing that one so I lose money here.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Anyone else find white does not look right?

Post by phathack »

White Shirts always work but White Pants have a limited use.
I have a whole rainbow of colors in skirts. Yet in each style I just about always have a Black and perhaps a Navy in addition to what ever other color were available.

When I try a new clothing Item I always go for the black on first if its available.

:ugeek:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

hairy wrote:For a while now I've been wanting to use lighter colours because I've spent my life in black being a biker. So I looked on the internet and brought myself a white denim A line mini, but it just don't look right on me. I also found the same recently when I tried on a white shirt. Do others of you find white is not for them? I can't send skirt back cuz wife chucked the labels away but she say's she don't want to go out with me wearing that one so I lose money here.
I suspect that at issue here is simple unfamiliarity with the colour rather than anything else. Your comment about feeling odd when wearing a white shirt points this up because white shirts on guys are absolutely ubiquitous (at least if one is willing to count stained-yellowish t-shirts as white for a certain subset of the population).

White shirts, for me at least, are almost a default go-to because they "go" with everything. White below the waist seems a bit more problematic for guys (mostly, I suspect, for slobs like me), but all-white has its history and its place. I definitely sense self-conditioning and an overt familiarity with black, perhaps to the exclusion of other colours.

Give the white skirt time to grow on you (and try not to get it dirty in the process -- quite the challenge). You -- and your wife -- may find that it gets less jarring over time as you get familiar with it. In the end, you can rationalise the thing as being bleached denim and dismiss it as that because it'll feel the same as denim!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

The only problem I have with wearing white is that if you even breathe on it wrong, it'll get dirty. And yes, I only wear white between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I've a nice little "patchwork" skirt in white. It has its place, and I'd love to find a (pencil) skirt-suit in white. I'd still only wear it now and then since white attracts dirt like a magnet. Whites were one of my favorite Naval uniforms...except for the laundry. :D
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

White is really a ceremonial 'colour', used by the Airforces and the Navy. Clothing items in white may only be worn once between launderings. i posted a few pics in white recently just for fun.
In my professional activity, whites have traditionally been ubiquitous, but more recently these now come in blues and greens, easier on the eye and the laundry.

In Sport I'm totally useless at tennis and have never played Cricket. In MY sport, galley-slavery, a few clubs have white livery, but most are two or multi-coloured.

For evening wear, white tuxedos & the like are for Great Gatspys or film stars. In general white only looks well on those with sylph-like figures and those of us with barge-like physiques should stick to darker shades.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

I agree that white is a difficult colour to wear, as others have pointed out it is a 'dirt magnet'. The other issue is possibly that of 'too much white'. While certain sports (and ceremonial military uniforms) are substantially white, I think that in everyday use it is better paired with another colour (whether that is white bottom and coloured top or vice versa I leave to the wearer).

On the 'dirt magnet' front, I am always amused by people (usually ladies) who visit the railway centre wearing white - it won't be by the end of the day!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well I have to be contrary on this one. I LOVE white but it can be a devil to keep clean. I have white tops, shirts, skirts, socks and shoes. I have no problem with wearing white. In skirts I have short ones, long ones, broderie anglaise. There's a photo in my thread of my in a white dress. So what's the problem.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Personally I think white looks great. I have a white tennis type wrap skirt that I made and wear it with a white sport shirt. But white is a dirt magnet and has to be washed every time its worn and me being the type of person I am, as soon as I put it on its dirty. :lol:
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

I prefer darker skirts too. But I do have a white denim skirt from Old Navy that I love the look of. Especially with a darker colored shirt.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

hairy wrote:I can't send skirt back cuz wife chucked the labels away but she say's she don't want to go out with me wearing that one so I lose money here.
There are plenty of choices in fabric dies if you like it other than the lack of color.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Jim wrote:
hairy wrote:I can't send skirt back cuz wife chucked the labels away but she say's she don't want to go out with me wearing that one so I lose money here.
There are plenty of choices in fabric dies if you like it other than the lack of color.
I've found the tags now so will be sending it back. Maybe its just the style and not the colour as I do have another short white skirt that looks OK just TOO short. I'll probably look for another one because I'm so fed up with the dark colours I'm limited to.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

That's it hairy, you rebel you. Now when you can wear a bright yellow skirt with accessories THEN you'll know you've arrived. I've encouraged some on this site so come on and join us. Bright white yellow fellow cue blue, be seen in tangerine and green, not dead in red and own the brown. :D

PS Anything rhyme with orange or purple or violet ....

PPS Don't cringe in orange ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

hairy wrote:I've found the tags now so will be sending it back. Maybe its just the style and not the colour as I do have another short white skirt that looks OK just TOO short. I'll probably look for another one because I'm so fed up with the dark colours I'm limited to.
Khacki is fairly light and fairly masculine.

But if you want to try pastels of any sort, try them with black, brown, or matching-but-darker shirts and tights.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I would wear white if I was a plasterer by trade, otherwise I find it a disaster to wear.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia