Anyone else find white does not look right?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Regular Guy

Re: Anyone else find white does not look right?

Post by Regular Guy »

photoguy207 wrote:I prefer darker skirts too. But I do have a white denim skirt from Old Navy that I love the look of. Especially with a darker colored shirt.
I have to agree from personal experience that tend to gravitate to black ,grey and on occasion tan skirts . However, This thread inspired me to be bold and try white. So ebay comes thru again. A 23 inch long Eddie Bauer white denim skirt is on the way. I doubt that I will need a slip under the denim, as I probably would a lighter weight material.

It may very well be a wear 'At Home' only purchase.

RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Anthony, plaster over here is either grey or pink not white. Plasterers around here wear old T-shirts and old jeans. :roll:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Anthony, plaster over here is either grey or pink not white. Plasterers around here wear old T-shirts and old jeans. :roll:
Hmmm... Old Word vs. New World? The only plaster I've ever seen in the US of A is of the white variety; however, I may not get out as often as I need to.

Most everything here now is "sheet-rock" which is a gypsum material (white and chalky) sandwiched between two sheets of heavy paper and which comes in 8' x 4' sheets, or sometimes 12' x 4' dimensions (residential vs. commercial sizes). This stuff gets put up over 2x4 lumber or aluminium-channel "studs", fastened to said studs with screws, then taped and "spackled" over (white putty-like stuff), sanded down (sometimes), and finally painted some ugly neutral colour.

Old-school lath and horse-hair plaster jobs are long since a thing of the past (although I am still capable of acquitting myself somewhat credibly at it), and even wallpaper is a dying article of decor. We're drowning in beige blandness over here. Please, if anybody has a spare flotilla, send life-boats!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Regular Guy wrote:A 23 inch long Eddie Bauer white denim skirt is on the way. I doubt that I will need a slip under the denim, as I probably would a lighter weight material.
A slip is also useful for separating your legs from heavy, scratchy, and otherwise rough fabric. They're not just for modesty. I know that if I was going to wear denim (and I'm not intending that) I'd definitely want something between me and it.
It may very well be a wear 'At Home' only purchase.
If you can manage to keep it clean, why would that necessarily be the case?
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

The slip makes sense. Unfortunately my only white slip is a 14 inch one and the skirt is 23 inches. So now another slip pirchase unless i can use my beige one which is a bit longer.

At home wearing.....well White is just so different from what I have been wearing. It will almost feel like I am Screaming. 'Look at my skirt'.

Perhaps just something I need to get used to.
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Whilst I am not a plasterer over here we have plasterboard which is what you call sheet-rock. There are different types of plaster each with its use but the main ones are Bonding, used as a base coat, Browning used as a base coat on more absorbent surfaces and Finish which is a top coat. Most walls are done now with plasterboard even over brick or breeze block with possibly a mesh tape to cover joints to stop joint cracks appearing and a thin skim of finish to provide a smooth surface.

A slip can be used with any skirt that doesn't have its own lining and provides antistatic as well as comfort and the usual comfort and barrier for a scratchy material.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The two white skirts I have wouldn't be appropriate to do any drywall work in that's for sure!

Generally I like white, however tend to avoid it on clothes selection if there's even a HINT that I might get dirty, which is always a threat every day. For me, the problem of white is it greatly restricts what I can get into on a given day, no hiking, no biking, no running around, no scuffling on the dirt, no house work, no visiting dusty places... in short, wearing white means that my actual activities for the day are sure to be boring.

On the other hand, I found myself rolling around in the crawl space in my black Macabi the other day. It came out filthy as can be, covered in dirt, and yet cleaned up nicely!

My white skirts would be excellent if I could ever attend a formal event skirted. Unfortunately that's a no-go for the typical southern man. :blue:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote: ......... and a thin skim of finish to provide a smooth surface.
A slip can be used with any skirt ........
What the ..... Oh change of subject. A thin mix of plaster is also known as a slip. :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Anthony, in computing and in particular programming and down a sub-level to compiler syntax decomposition where the compiler analyses the program to see that it meets the rules of the computer language there are instances where a token or symbol can have more than one meaning that depends upon the context and the compiler has to resolve that. Th multiplicity of meaning is called overloading. English overloads words all the time and the word slip is one of many many thousands in slip can be, as you said relating to plaster or it could be watery clay used in pottery or it could be a garment. Isn't the English language confusing, versatile yet a wonder in its ingenuity?

As for white I must be lucky in that I can wear the white garments for more than one day before they accumulate enough debris to be considered grubby. Pigpen I ain't.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:Anthony, in computing and in particular programming and down a sub-level to compiler syntax decomposition where the compiler analyses the program to see that it meets the rules of the computer language there are instances where a token or symbol can have more than one meaning that depends upon the context and the compiler has to resolve that. Th multiplicity of meaning is called overloading. English overloads words all the time and the word slip is one of many many thousands in slip can be, as you said relating to plaster or it could be watery clay used in pottery or it could be a garment. Isn't the English language confusing, versatile yet a wonder in its ingenuity?

As for white I must be lucky in that I can wear the white garments for more than one day before they accumulate enough debris to be considered grubby. Pigpen I ain't.
Thanks Dennis. At first I thought of it in the context of starching whites - something that could be useful for maintaining sharp pleats in a skirt, probably antistatic but certainly not for comfort.
Where I live, everything gets a coating of fine red dust, so a chair that has not been sat on for a couple of days tranfers a pink contact shape to the clothing. Black is problematic too. The "dust" is actually very fine silica sand which is quite abrasive hence my desk is covered with a sheet when I am not sitting at it. In the rare event of encountering rain when driving one has to stop and wipe the grinding paste off the wiper blades before engaging them. On the positive side we have lots of clear skies and mould is a rare thing.
I won't totally blame the environment for my grubbiness; whenever I wear something pale I somehow encounter a bit of machinery with molygrease on it - in that case black clothing reigns supreme.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:Where I live, everything gets a coating of fine red dust, so a chair that has not been sat on for a couple of days tranfers a pink contact shape to the clothing. Black is problematic too. The "dust" is actually very fine silica sand which is quite abrasive hence my desk is covered with a sheet when I am not sitting at it.
That must be murder on high-precision high-speed devices like disk drives.

Fine dust is a terrific nuisance. I've been living on my own for two years now, and I'm only beginning to see the end of the chicken-dust that got positively everywhere from when my late ex- was keeping poultry in the house for a while (a memory I'd really rather not have, but it keeps things in perspective).
I won't totally blame the environment for my grubbiness; whenever I wear something pale I somehow encounter a bit of machinery with molygrease on it - in that case black clothing reigns supreme.
This is an issue I seem to have as well, although it usually doesn't involve (much) grease -- more like dust, dirt, and other grunge. You'd be amazed what can pile up on the innards of a computer, especially an older one that hasn't been opened up in years (or decades). Sometimes this includes wildlife (mice like to nest in them). Usually the first order of business is to open he thing up, thoroughly document what's inside, where it all is, how it all goes together, and what sort of general shape it's in -- and then tear the thing entirely down and give it a good cleaning. Even after all that, stuff remains in assorted places, and sometimes one can never get all of it. And, like all forms of dirt, has a strong affinity for clothing in contrasting colours (white dirt loves black, and black dirt loves white). Opposites, in this case, definitely attract.

Notwithstanding all of the above, I adore white. Sometimes there's humour involved. One time when I was wearing all white with ruffles and lace I found myself staring at a pizza I'd ordered and couldn't figure out how to eat it without getting covered. The bartender asked if I needed anything else and I commented, "Perhaps a drop-cloth?" Being the sarcastic fellow he was mentioned that wearing all white and ordering a pizza "... wasn't the brightest decision you've made." (and handed me several napkins)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The thing about the dust inside of computers is that generally it is very fine, just a lot of it clumped together, and it has been attracted there by the static generated by the electrical components. Thus in itself the dust gains a static charge and your clothing usually has some man-made fibres in them which have a static charge. Hence the two attract and as much as you try and stop it the two will meet, hence the grubbiness.

At work we sell the polystyrene mini spheres that are the contents of bean bags. I advise customers to fill the bean bag in a shower enclosure, to take all their clothes off and ground themselves on one of the taps in order to minimise static. Of course I remind them to lock the bathroom door after them. :lol:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:The thing about the dust inside of computers is that generally it is very fine, just a lot of it clumped together, and it has been attracted there by the static generated by the electrical components.
That's for new builds. Recall what I frequently deal with [0] ...
Of course I remind them to lock the bathroom door after them. :lol:
Wise. Somebody walking in unannounced to such a sight might well have impressions that are entirely unhealthy! :twisted:

[0] More than a few of my machines are older than some of the members here at the Skirt Cafe. I routinely get my fingers into machines better than 40 years old. In fact, my prize machine is 45 years old as of this writing -- and still runs happily. One that I offered advice and counsel on that's out in Seattle is getting set to celebrate its 50th birthday -- and at last count is the most reliable machine in their running stable. Computing is not a new field by a long shot, and a good study of its history is well worth the endeavour -- just discount most of the noise about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

White? No, but I do have a couple of tan/cream colored denim skirts and I wear once in a while.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Over here the favoured neutral colour for walls is magnolia - a sort of light beigey colour with a hint of pink in it. I've used gallons and gallons of the stuff. Not offensive but hardly prize winning either.