Very few skirts in shops now.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Very few skirts in shops now.

Post by Grok »

I have noticed that more and more "skirts" are actually skorts. So now we have to carefully consider the terminology used by others.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Skirts on ladies look far more smarter than trousers of any kind. I also think skirts/kilts on men look far more smarter than baggy shorts or scruffy jeans. People just don't care about looking smart these days.
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

hairy wrote:Skirts on ladies look far more smarter than trousers of any kind. I also think skirts/kilts on men look far more smarter than baggy shorts or scruffy jeans. People just don't care about looking smart these days.
Hey, I resemble that remark. :P The baggy shorts and not caring parts at least (I loathe long bifurcated pants of all kinds). I'm working on growing a pair for wearing a skirt or kilt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

webboy42 wrote:I loathe long bifurcated pants of all kinds.
Some of the very wide-legged "palazzo" style pants can be surprisingly attractive, and in motion actually behave as split skirts and require the same attention.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I remember something a bout a correlation between hemlines and the economy. Hemlines presupposes skirts or dresses, so maybe a depressed economy has something to do with it? Here in Calgary, the economy is slightly down from the most frenetic days, but from reading about other places it's doing far better than most. Maybe that's why I see more skirts than you do? Certainly not a shortage on the street, though the shops seem to be changing over to Fall stuff a bit early.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote:
webboy42 wrote:I loathe long bifurcated pants of all kinds.
Some of the very wide-legged "palazzo" style pants can be surprisingly attractive, and in motion actually behave as split skirts and require the same attention.
I sometimes wear an unbifurcated garment on each leg reaching the top of my foot ........ but they only go up to my ankle. Worn when there are a lot of burr seeds around.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Help To Look For

Post by Grok »

Recently I came across on Etsy a "unisex" patchwork skirt by urbanprairiegirl. The garment was described as hand made, and would be made to your measurements.

(I was looking for something shorter, so I went with the Macabi knee length).

Arrangements such as this may be one of the few ways for members to get around the lack of choices/lack of options.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Grok wrote:In Seattle summer does bring out some women in skirts; definitely more so than the rest of the year. But even during the summer the number in skirts are just a fraction of the women out and about.
Forgot to mention that summer also brings out dresses; the only season when a significant number of women wear them.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Another thing to consider... If you find a dress that has the desired look to the skirt part and seems to fit well above the waist (a lot of the fit & flare dresses are this way, as can the styles I regularly wear), get it and just wear it with a shirt over it. I've done that many times. People think it's a skirt. That is, until you decide to remove the shirt and wear the dress alone.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Grok, I don't know where you shop but I don't EVER EVER recall seeing a skort for sale in any retail shop. Now I know that they must be on sale somewhere apart from such as ebay but if I ever saw any for sale I would be interested. Maybe I just don't shop widely enough. As long as the price was right, of course. I have a total of one bought in a charity shop as a curiosity and before I really knew what they were. I'm wearing it right now, in fact with a white vest, from the osota naturally.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
neiljerram

Re: online

Post by neiljerram »

Grok wrote:I noticed that womens' skirts are available through Etsy and eBay
Which reminds me of this wonderful Etsy shop that I came across last week: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/SewingCirc ... eader-name
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: online

Post by r.m.anderson »

neiljerram wrote:
Grok wrote:I noticed that womens' skirts are available through Etsy and eBay
Which reminds me of this wonderful Etsy shop that I came across last week: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/SewingCirc ... eader-name
Did you notice that most of the outfits are described as "UNISEX" although it is in lower case without the parentheses unisex !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

They are children's wear and any attempt to get small boys to even think about and wear skirts and dresses as normal clothing ( which they are ) has to be encouraged. Perhaps as they grow up they will still consider them normal and wear them. I notice that some of them are like Pirate or Space print designs presumably to appeal more to the boys although many girls will like the designs as well. :)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:They are children's wear and any attempt to get small boys to even think about and wear skirts and dresses as normal clothing ( which they are ) has to be encouraged. Perhaps as they grow up they will still consider them normal and wear them. I notice that some of them are like Pirate or Space print designs presumably to appeal more to the boys although many girls will like the designs as well. :)
Commendable, even if token attempt, just putting it out there for boys as well. I wasted a few minutes looking through the reviews but sadly no "my little boy loves his skirt" although a few girl pirates.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

If it is any consolation, the online sources offer quite a diversity of womens' skirts.