Very few skirts in shops now.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Very few skirts in shops now.

Post by hairy »

I think this topic has been talked about before but this year seems even worse for finding skirts.
Here in UK I've been finding that each year has got worse, and now all the shops seem to have stopped selling skirts. Shorts are plenty, skorts are plenty. Women's trousers even more so. Skirts none. Is there a world wide shortage?
Then we have to turn to buying on the internet like we have to for many other things, and they wonder why shops get no customers.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Very few skirts in shops now.

Post by Grok »

Could it be that, for women, skirts are becoming a niche thing? To be worn during the hottest days of summer, or the most formal occasions?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I know, I know, ....... I know (atrib. Mrs Faulty).
I have just been on a trip to visit clients and as usual went into any Charity shops I passed. One shop had just 2 (two, deux, اثنان ) skirts and about 50 women's pants. I hope skirts will become fashionable for men before women give up on them altogether - although it still won't be the same unless men become more adventurous with style, frills and colour.
Oh well, I am stocking up on skirts - like hoarding with a siege mentality. Otherwise the sewing category will become popular.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Could it be that, for women, skirts are becoming a niche thing? To be worn during the hottest days of summer, or the most formal occasions?
I've been worried about that for quite some time, and remain somewhat optimistic that things will remain cyclical and skirts will occasionally come back into Fashion and then go out again. So long as the swing is symmetrical, I don't see the skirt "going out" permanently, even in the long term.

It worth noting, though, that skirts are a bit "fussier" to wear than trousers, take some level of ability to pull off well, and that the shrill whiners of radical feminism constantly harp that they're a symbol of "male oppression" (whatever that may be). Any fool can slob about in jeans; properly wearing a skirt and putting a good ensemble together takes some panache -- and I don't think that many women care about that any longer, hence pyjamas, hoodies, and flip-flops.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

In Seattle summer does bring out some women in skirts; definitely more so than the rest of the year. But even during the summer the number in skirts are just a fraction of the women out and about.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: online

Post by Grok »

I noticed that womens' skirts are available through Etsy and eBay
Last edited by Grok on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Funny you mention this.

Last night me and my wife were in a local big box store.
I was in the ladies dept for a while while she was looking at clearance shorts and jeans.
I saw several racks of sundresses and tunic like things.
I did not see any skirts at all. They must have been there somewhere, my wife found one marked down to 3 dollars. Elastic waist, plain black maxi very soft skirt. For 3 dollars. I told her I was jelous and asked if they had anynore, after it sank in I got the usual evil eye and exasperated huff. Last one :( the chain store has another. Store near by, I might have to go see if that store has any. To top it off when we checked out It waran up for 1 dollar. I have hunted bargans. And I have never got one for that price.
My wife has a nose for deals, too bad they did not have more :(

MishawakaKilt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

When commenting on the phenomenon of "The Disappearing Skirt" one needs to bear in mind the local culture of where one is taking the sample; unless one is extraordinarily well-travelled, one is going to have a bit of tunnel-vision. I'm guilty of that, and I admit it, because I seldom get out of New England -- although when I do I tend to pay heightened attention. I do try to take more than my close locale into account, however, so whenever I'm in any of the big cities I tend to pay attention; the 'burbs are a write-off, and rural/semi-rural areas are sparsely-enough populated that it's tough to get any sort of a reasonable cross-section.

Also, what's in stores varies wildly by season, and even though it's summer now the stores are already pushing autumn and even winter stuff. If you're looking for skirts and light stuff, start looking in January (in the northern hemisphere, at least).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Funny you mention this.

I saw several racks of sundresses and tunic like things.
Sundresses are consistent with seasonality and summer. I think there are basically two niches for dresses now: the hottest days of summer, and the most formal of occasions.

Looked to see what "tunics" are offered online for women. There seems to be a general tendency for these to be worn as tops, over trousers.
Last edited by Grok on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I noticed the same in the Salvation Army thrift shop recently. A sea of clothes on racks of which about a yard of skirts. Of that yard, 3 or 4 at or slightly above the knee and the rest in Amish length. And terrible dull colors to. I could picture my schoolteacher in it in the early 50s.
Yesterday I went through Allentown center city and had to stop for building activities. The road was blocked and in my mirror I could observe a crossing of one of the main streets. It was just after lunch hour and about 1 out of 4 of the women had a skirt or a dress. So not everything is lost.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I was thinking...earlier this year, before summer, when/where have I seen women in skirts? At the office. Women wearing what could be described as semi-formal wear, including skirts.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have bought a few skorts and cut out the inner shorts. I have some hiking shorts from camping and hiking online sites. I suggest scrub skirts from online stores. They are very soft, comfortable, and come in several colors, elastic waist, and big pockets. I have mine shortened.

What I have been looking for is a wrap skirt or someone who will make one. Very comfortable and easier to put on and take off while wearing hiking boots.

I have noticed how few skirts are in stores.

Target: 0
Forever 21: 0
Kohl's: 0
Macy's: 0

They all have skirts on their web sites. The retail industry is hurting badly and there are no sales associates to ask where to find things. Macy's and Penny's display them in different parts of the department by brand. I am not familiar with different brands, therefore I give up and buy online. Size and fit are variable depending on what country they are manufactured in and which brand they are.

What's a fella to do?
Last edited by Happy-N-Skirts on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

My local second hand store (Value Village) has tons of skirts, but alas very few in my size (gargantuan). :x
Lately I've bought a few off of eBay.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I mainly shop ASDA, Matalan, Primark, Tesco and charity shops. There are times of the year when the main stores have very few skirts, particularly winter. At the moment there seem to be a fair number but unfortunately there are none that I would consider wearing. I browsed Matalan during the week and bought a button up denim skirt cheap. But since I have over 100 skirts of various colours, lengths, materials, sizes, talking black art here, and styles I am not desperate to buy any skirt so can be choosy. Charity shops can be a bit hit and miss since they are dependent upon donations but if you frequent a small number of the frequently then you can get to know the staff and if you let them know what you are interested in buying and leave sizes and so on most are willing to put stuff aside for you hence the stress on frequency.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Here in Scotland no shortage of skirts or dresses. Can't understand why so many women wearing trousers in very hot weather.