Very few skirts in shops now.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Very few skirts in shops now.

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have bought skorts and removed the inner shorts. I prefer actual skirts. The inner shorts are positioned so the skirt waist doesn't conform to male waists. One of my purposes of wearing a skirt is to allow ventilation. The layers of underwear and the skort defeat the purpose. It is easy to remove but requires care not to cut the skirt.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I have bought skorts and removed the inner shorts. I prefer actual skirts. The inner shorts are positioned so the skirt waist doesn't conform to male waists. One of my purposes of wearing a skirt is to allow ventilation. The layers of underwear and the skort defeat the purpose. It is easy to remove but requires care not to cut the skirt.
Is it really easy to turn skorts into skirts? I've seen skorts that looked OK but don't like SKORTS.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

denimini wrote: Otherwise the sewing category will become popular.
Probably a good idea. :idea:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

A lot of hippie shops are big on skirts and such. I also find at least one full sized row of skirts at local GoodWills. I'm not sure where all these second hand skirts come from as the major department stores don't seem to carry much. Walmart generally has none, I suppose the women's clothing stores, such as Cato, Dress Barn, etc might carry a few lines. There is another store called Peebles around here that I've never tried. There are still lots of women around here that wear skirts, some are bland, some are quite flashy. I'd put the ratio at around 10 out of 100 women in this area are known to wear skirts regularly. That's actually a pretty high number, and consider the skirts have to come from somewhere! I seriously doubt all of these women are frequenting the GoodWill. I'd say they have their "women's only" clothing honey holes.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I have bought skorts and removed the inner shorts. I prefer actual skirts. The inner shorts are positioned so the skirt waist doesn't conform to male waists. One of my purposes of wearing a skirt is to allow ventilation. The layers of underwear and the skort defeat the purpose. It is easy to remove but requires care not to cut the skirt.
I went into shops this week looking for skorts, even they have gone from the shelves now.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

hairy wrote:
I went into shops this week looking for skorts, even they have gone from the shelves now.
You might just have to buy shorts and unpick the inseam :)
Thankfully there are still alot of skirts on eBay, although nowhere near as cheap as charity shops.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I was thinking about a point that Daryl made in his slide show-that, with the exception of some business suits, womens skirts/dresses are designed to signal sexual availability. So, unless a woman specifically intends to signal sexual availability, I can see why trousers have become the default option for women.

Otherwise, I see skirts being worn as two options: 1. Formal wear for the office. 2. Light weight, floaty skirts for the hottest days of summer.

As for dresses: 1. The most formal of wear, such as evening gowns and wedding dresses. 2. Garments intended for the hottest days of summer, such as sundresses.

If nowadays most women wear trousers most of the time-or nearly all the time-it follows that the supply of second hand skirts would slow to a trickle.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

.... and yet from a fashion manufacturer's point of view the average skirt is a lot easier and cheaper to make than any kind of trousers. I know that some skirts can be quite intricate but they tend to be the exceptions.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Sinned wrote:.... and yet from a fashion manufacturer's point of view the average skirt is a lot easier and cheaper to make than any kind of trousers. I know that some skirts can be quite intricate but they tend to be the exceptions.
I know first hand that a skirt is easy to make, much easier than pants. I tried to make shorts but it requires a lot of engineering to get the fit right. So I gave up. :wink:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:If it is any consolation, the online sources offer quite a diversity of womens' skirts.
Mild correction: ... online sources offer quite a diversity of womens' skirts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

There are lots of things (besides skirts) that are in conspicuously short supply in stores.
That's the result of shopper reliance on online sales. It takes money to maintain a big-box
store (or even a little-box store) with all its personnel costs, rent, utilities, etc., etc.
The alternative is to keep it all in a warehouse, with much less personnel, cheaper
maintenance, and advertise everything on the Web (at probably very little cost) plus
run a fulfillment service with shipping.
The result is you see much more on a retailer's web site than what's in the physical stores.
Now, what happens is that you might find a skirt that you like, but it's accompanied by
a note that says "Sorry, sold out!"
So you have to search other online retailers to find the same skirt. Diligence pays off.