Disadvantages of Different Kinds of Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Disadvantages of Different Kinds of Skirts

Post by denimini »

Fred in Skirts wrote: At least you were wearing undergarments. I still do not understand the worry about the showing of undergarments if your skirt does blow up. It is not illegal to show your under things. The only time I would worry is if I wasn't wearing any.
Fred
I agree. I often refer to our previous Prime Minister being interviewed on national TV on a beach wearing budgie smugglers; if that is OK to be viewed by thousands for many minutes, then a flash of similar to a couple of people for few seconds should not be shocking. At worst people might laugh at the uncontrolled windlift which would be understandable and some women might smile with a feeling of schadenfreude.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm sure that we have all seen unexpected flashes before and so what. It happens, There have been times when MOH has said that I was showing underwear when sat at home in a short skirt. Adjust my sitting position by crossing my legs for example. Just shrug and get on with life.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

A very interesting discussion with quite a variety of perspectives.... I wonder if the duration of having worn skirts makes any difference to people perspectives.... For me, the 'disadvantages' can even be what makes wearing a skirt all the more worthwhile. Humans are by virtue. ritualistic, so having to lift a long skirt, let's say, before going upstairs is a ritual that adds value to that long skirt and sets it aside from the others.

Anyway, I think there is perhaps there is a small consensus in one area, and that is that with certain skirts there is an inevitability that 'all (well, hopefully not actually all) will be revealed' at some time and place not of our choosing. Due diligence, as some point out, I would consider to be wise advice, even if not foolproof. The best policy I think is to couple this with carefully selecting what one might be going to expose.

If I am wearing what I consider to be a more risky, or perhaps risque ;-) skirt then I will choose an undergarment accordingly, to accompany it, and it will probably be something like boy shorts (oh the irony) similar to these:
boysh.jpg
I have some longish black ones with a lace trim that can even be worn as a fashioned part of my outfit i.e. they protrude slightly from under the shorter skirts when in normal view. Another option I have used is silver hotpants to match a short silver bodycon dress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

SkirtsDad wrote:...If I am wearing what I consider to be a more risky, or perhaps risque skirt then I will choose an undergarment accordingly, to accompany it, and it will probably be something like boy shorts (oh the irony)...
I find this every comfortable as well, but only under tights.

Without the tights they let me, uh, slip out.

Longer panty legs would probably help.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

What about skirts with (good/useful) pockets versus skirts without?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:What about skirts with (good/useful) pockets versus skirts without?
For several years I refused to carry a bag and therefore only wore skirts with pockets -- mostly utility kilts. But then I got tired of wearing the same few styles all the time, bought a men's messenger bag, sweated out the first few outings, and then got comfortable with it. Pencil skirts and other close-fitting styles look much better smooth than with bulging pockets.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Just back from a quick w/end in the Kingdom....of Kerry. It's always my pleasure to drive there skirted and this time it was a Sportkilt.

Like express steam locos of yore I like to take on fluid while underway and short of dropping a ladle into a roadside puddle at speed I like to grab a bottle of soft drink between my knees and undo the top, take a slug and replace said top. Not possible in a sportkilt! Now I do have a very swingy short circle skirt from AliExpress which would do, but I didn't bring it along. Next time.....

Shorts facilitate this manoeuvre OK. as static pic. shows.

Tom
Rs Sportkilt underway.jpg
Rs Fanta between legs.jpg
P.S. Sorry about the sideways pics. Not sure how to fix that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

I found it difficult getting in an out of cars while wearing a skirt .Also while on the bus i nearly ripped another woman's skirt because she was wearing a long skirt and as she was getting of the bus part of it was on the step above which i stood on .So i stood on her skirt luckily no damage was done .So id say that's a disadvantage of long skirts also a tripping over .
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Kirbstone wrote:Just back from a quick w/end in the Kingdom....of Kerry. It's always my pleasure to drive there skirted and this time it was a Sportkilt.

Like express steam locos of yore I like to take on fluid while underway and short of dropping a ladle into a roadside puddle at speed I like to grab a bottle of soft drink between my knees and undo the top, take a slug and replace said top. Not possible in a sportkilt! Now I do have a very swingy short circle skirt from AliExpress which would do, but I didn't bring it along. Next time.....
I do exactly the same when driving, with rain water in a soft drink bottle. Important to keep up fluid intake on long trips, especially in warm climates. When sitting in the car, my minis are short enough to put the bottle between my bare thighs, although a bit of a shock initially when the water is cold. The circle skirt would be ideal.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Difficulty getting in and out of cars? I open the car door and use it for cover and am careful who might be around so I don't flash anyone. I have filled my tank as gas stations within a few feet of another customer. Most people don't notice or look at anyone else buying fuel.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

eightofnine wrote:I found it difficult getting in an out of cars while wearing a skirt .Also while on the bus i nearly ripped another woman's skirt because she was wearing a long skirt and as she was getting of the bus part of it was on the step above which i stood on .So i stood on her skirt luckily no damage was done .So id say that's a disadvantage of long skirts also a tripping over .
Most of the difficulty is in your mind. I have no problem getting in or out of my car. When getting in I stick one leg in and them swing my arse in to sit and the bring the other leg in. Getting out I open the door using it as some what of a shield and then swing one leg out turn on my arse to face the door and swing the other leg out then stand up. No problem!! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

eightofnine wrote:I found it difficult getting in an out of cars while wearing a skirt .Also while on the bus i nearly ripped another woman's skirt because she was wearing a long skirt and as she was getting of the bus part of it was on the step above which i stood on .So i stood on her skirt luckily no damage was done .So id say that's a disadvantage of long skirts also a tripping over .
The joy of stuff like this is that it's all learned skills that can be mastered relatively easily!

As far as stepping on somebody else's skirt goes, that's easy -- just watch where you're walking. I still recall an hilarious episode where I worked back in the naughties and early teens where a co-worker almost landed on the hem of my floor-length pleated skirt skirt and apologised by way of it to me -- which engendered a crack from my then-boss of, "Only a fool steps on Vader's cloak!" Much laughter was had. (All of them had to trail me by a good three or four steps on the stairs because of the way the skirt trailed behind me. That's one way to keep folks off your back!)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Get in butt first, not feet first. If you then have to pull down your hem, let the door mostly close first.

Conversely, get out feet first and if necessary, pull down the center of your hem as you swing out.

Use the car door as a shield.

Those other skirt-wearers (women) do the same thing.

And if you blow it like Brittany Shields, so what? You make the news. Enjoy your fifteen minutes of fame.

caultron
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

Caultron wrote:
Get in butt first, not feet first. If you then have to pull down your hem, let the door mostly close first.

Conversely, get out feet first and if necessary, pull down the center of your hem as you swing out.

And if you blow it like Brittany Shields, so what? You make the news. Enjoy your fifteen minutes of fame.
good advice ,it was because id never got in or out of a car before wearing a skirt i thought i was going to fall face first into the road .I'm sure with practice i'll get used to it .
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote: Get in butt first, not feet first. If you then have to pull down your hem, let the door mostly close first.
But don't "blow it" like Ms. Shields deliberately. (one always wonders with celebs)

With shorter or tighter skirts I always sit down first then whilst keeping my legs together rotate them into the car. Skirts allow this rotation on the seat in a way that pants don't, so the disadvantage is cancelled out by a different advantage.

When new to wearing skirts, keeping one's legs together as needed is not yet committed to firmware, so there may be some awkwardness at first, but it will pass with experience.
Daryl...