Disadvantages of Different Kinds of Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Disadvantages of Different Kinds of Skirts

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:With shorter or tighter skirts I always sit down first then whilst keeping my legs together rotate them into the car. Skirts allow this rotation on the seat in a way that pants don't, so the disadvantage is cancelled out by a different advantage.
This tactic only works if you have vinyl or leather seats in the car or are wearing a very "slippery" skirt. Cloth skirt + cloth seats + any sort of mass [0] = lots of friction on the rotation attempt. I have fabric seats in my car -- I have yet to be able to execute the "rotate into the car" motion in any of mine, although have in others' which had leather (naugahyde?) seats.
When new to wearing skirts, keeping one's legs together as needed is not yet committed to firmware, so there may be some awkwardness at first, but it will pass with experience.
None of this is supported by any of the conventionally-issued male firmware -- it all has to be consciously learned.

[0] For g-values > 0.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The great thing about the Roller is that the rear doors are rear-hinged. This makes emergence into the Public Domesne much easier for the rear passengers. Furthermore I have issued Bulstrode the chauffeur with a golfing umbrella which he deploys before I alight, so skirted or no, I have zero difficulty with motor cars.

Needless the say, the RR has wall-to-wall calf leather seats.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

What are pros/cons of garments that hang from the shoulders, compared to garments that hang from the waist?
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Skirts
  • Good 'air conditioning' below decks. Longer ones have some swirl when you twirl. Your upper clothing may be male-based or female-based, possible 'outfit' issues.
Dresses
  • Excellent 'air conditioning' that can reach your midsection easily. Maximum swirl when you twirl if not too tight. No outfit issues other than legwear and footwear. Definitely feels lighter with the weight of the garment carried on your shoulders.
We'll let Accessories stay in their own topic.

Just my opinion.... :roll:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Precisely the only disadvantage I can see with dresses is that the hem will track the motion of the shoulders, so if one is wearing a mini-dress one needs to be mindful of reaching upwards for anything.

All of the supposed disadvantages of skirts have been debunked by this point.

The very nice thing about the notion of the dress is: "one and done!" (Even the more thoughtful gals agree.)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

With good design, open ended garments can be excellent.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

crfriend wrote:Precisely the only disadvantage I can see with dresses is that the hem will track the motion of the shoulders, so if one is wearing a mini-dress one needs to be mindful of reaching upwards for anything.

All of the supposed disadvantages of skirts have been debunked by this point.

The very nice thing about the notion of the dress is: "one and done!" (Even the more thoughtful gals agree.)
^Yep, with shoulder straps or sleeves, that is a problem. Without, not so much, but there should be the silicone band at the top of the bodice to keep it in place (or be fitted, with a side or back zip style enclosure - or as on my latest acquisition, buttons down the front), otherwise, it might wind up being a very high waist skirt when you're done. I do have one that sometimes likes to do that, unless I wear a belt to keep it from sliding downward.

Yes. It can also be worn as a skirt, if you throw a shirt on top, and the dress is a sleeveless type with either narrow straps, spaghetti straps, or none. When you get too hot, off comes the shirt, and you're still fully clothed. Or, in the winter time (in your case, probably autumn and spring - winters are usually more mild over here), wear a cardigan sweater to stay warm while outside, then either unzip or unbutton when driving and turn the heater on. The normally covered by a shirt parts of the upper chest get warmer much more quickly when they are uncovered.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: The very nice thing about the notion of the dress is: "one and done!" (Even the more thoughtful gals agree.)
One of the only things the old dress code got right was allowing women a choice of either skirts or dresses.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:One of the only things the old dress code got right was allowing women a choice of either skirts or dresses.
Beware semantics, for down that road usually lies madness. Even though I turned away from being an English major and lit the afterburners (to the chagrin of my father) altogether too few folks actually appreciate precisely how expressive and complex the English language really is. For instance, how many definitions of the term "dress" do you suppose -- at first blush -- there are?

Why aren't men allowed the options in dress that women (supposedly) are? (pun fully intended)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Pros/cons-tighter skirts versus full skirts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Overloading again, Carl.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
Daryl wrote:With shorter or tighter skirts I always sit down first then whilst keeping my legs together rotate them into the car. Skirts allow this rotation on the seat in a way that pants don't, so the disadvantage is cancelled out by a different advantage.
This tactic only works if you have vinyl or leather seats in the car or are wearing a very "slippery" skirt. Cloth skirt + cloth seats + any sort of mass [0] = lots of friction on the rotation attempt. I have fabric seats in my car -- I have yet to be able to execute the "rotate into the car" motion in any of mine, although have in others' which had leather (naugahyde?) seats.
When new to wearing skirts, keeping one's legs together as needed is not yet committed to firmware, so there may be some awkwardness at first, but it will pass with experience.
None of this is supported by any of the conventionally-issued male firmware -- it all has to be consciously learned.
[0] For g-values > 0.
Despite our shared taste in pre-modern circuitry, we are very different people. I am a person of weight, and my car seats are fabric, yet sit-then-rotate works fine for me. My skirt does twist but because it is a skirt this doesn't result in anything painful, and once I'm in the car I can lift my hips and straighten it out easily.

I didn't have to "consciously" learn to put my legs together, either. Of course, the actual act of putting them together was conscious, but the learning part, the training, that was totally unconscious. I didn't study at all. No practising in the mirror. Sitting on the sideways seats on the buses and subway trains required putting my legs together so often it just became easier and second nature.
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:Despite our shared taste in pre-modern circuitry, we are very different people. I am a person of weight, and my car seats are fabric, yet sit-then-rotate works fine for me. My skirt does twist but because it is a skirt this doesn't result in anything painful, and once I'm in the car I can lift my hips and straighten it out easily.
Perhaps I'm just hopeless. In my car (fabric seats) I find the sit-and-rotate motion only gets my skirts hopelessly twisted meaning that once in I have to lift my 180-odd pounds off the seat and try to readjust everything. This doesn't happen in cars that have leather seats, and the tactic works very well indeed.
I didn't have to "consciously" learn to put my legs together, either.
Some guys do, and some guys don't. I've always tended to sit with my legs crossed (either at the knees or ankles) so there wasn't much actual work involved. The guys who have always naturally sat splay-legged, though, probably have it differently.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Darryl wrote:Skirts
  • Good 'air conditioning' below decks.
"Below decks" is an interesting way of putting it. :mrgreen:
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:Pros/cons-tighter skirts versus full skirts.
Tight enough and a skirt may reveal a lump in the middle of the front of the garment, which ruins the visual effect of a large smooth area and can set onlookers to tittering.

Tight or just close fitting skirts restrict stride. (I cannot take two stairs at once in my straight skirts, or do a full run.)

A truly tight skirt, on me, would reveal a bumpy terrain and not look all that great. I'd want to wear a long top over it.

Tight skirts are difficult to ride bicycles and motorcycles in. Step-through bicycles and scooters at least make it possible.

Tighter skirts take less material to make, and less room in your luggage or closet. (I find them very good choices for travelling.)

Fuller skirts cover over all your lumps and bumps

Fuller skirts can get caught in the chain of your bicycle, if they are also long. Or hang out the door of your car.

I knock things off desks and tables sometimes when in a fuller skirt.

Fuller skirts catch air and can blow up, and create noticeable drag when heading into the wind.

Full enough skirts will fall between your legs when you sit with legs spread, keeping the people across from you undistracted.

You can run, take multiple stairs, and do cartwheels normally in a full skirt.

You tend to be more constantly aware of a larger fuller skirt, because it requires a bit more management, and because there's just more of it. As a consequence, a full skirt with a pretty pattern on it feels awesome on the brain, like sitting in a flower garden. (I only discovered this after making my first circle skirt. It definitely has a mood-elevating effect.)

Although you may be more aware of the skirt itself, when it is a fuller skirt, you lose contact with its hem. In a tighter skirt you can feel the hem against your legs, so you know where it is most of the time. You feel much more naked under a full skirt, and if its hem gets caught up on something you could stand there with your backside hanging out for a long time before noticing.

Fuller skirts can be more feminine-looking to some people's eyes, especially if they "puff out" from the waist almost as an exaggerated allowance for hips and butt. Tighter skirts, especially "pencil" skirts which are made for women's bodies, have extra allowance for hips and butts but it is not exaggerated so (to my eyes anyway) seem less feminine than a bell-shaped full skirt.
Daryl...