Disadvantages of Different Kinds of Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Disadvantages of Different Kinds of Skirts

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:I do think however, that that advantage only applies to shorter skirts, not floor sweepers. Correct me if I am wrong, Carl
The advantage holds, save that there is a lot more fabric involved. Usually the tactic I use is to gather the skirt up in the petticoat, then the petti in the slip I'm likely wearing, and by that time given the mass of fabric in play, it's pretty well immobilised. Sometimes this seems like parachute-folding. If the thing is causing problems I've been known to tuck the hem of the slip into my shirt to keep it all in place.

Reverse the operation after stepping away, and everything drops back into place very nicely.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:How about something on the advantages of skirts.

I was on my way to see some of my other clients . These I still have to wear pants . Nature called and I had to make a pit stop.

I stopped at a MC Donalds and went in to use the rest room Taking care of business required dropping pants and sitting.

The bathroom was clean but I was still concerned about my lowered pants touching the floor It sure would have been great to be wearing a skirt that I could just hike up and go about what had to be done
This is a major advantage of skirts IMO, even at home. Dropping trou is just inelegant and awkward by comparison.

I don't have any "floorsweepers" but my current go-to bottoms are very full skirts that fall to just above my ankles. I just gather it and sling it over one side before reading the newspaper. Briefs are easy to pull over one foot so they too aren't dangling on the ground or having their elastic exercised.

I've got examples of pretty much all lengths and degrees of fullness or tightness and can't think of one skirt that isn't a vast improvement over trousers for ablutions. The only circumstances I can think of where they wouldn't be convenient would be long tight skirts or dresses that literally cannot be pulled up at all, or trying to use a urinal with a broken arm. I think I'd find the standard zipper fly more convenient with just one hand. I recently got one long pencil skirt but because it's made of elastic material even that would be easy to manage with one hand, as it would stay up on its own.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:How about something on the advantages of skirts.
Maybe like Skirt Superpowers?
Daryl...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Kirbstone wrote:Gee guys, what a response! :)
<snip>
K. John, Old Faithful still going strong, I see. I also note that you have your defibrillator plugged into your cigar lighter :idea: 8)

Tom
Tom,

That'd be a radar detector... ;-)

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

getting in and out of cars

Post by Daryl »

Daryl wrote:...my car seats are fabric, yet sit-then-rotate works fine for me. My skirt does twist but because it is a skirt this doesn't result in anything painful, and once I'm in the car I can lift my hips and straighten it out easily.
Self-follow to say I've discovered that my perspective has been skewed because all my cars are actually crossovers or minivans. These have higher seats. Lately I've gone places with a friend with a lower sedan, and used some cabs, and all of these are less manageable for me, so now I get how they might be so for others too. Still, with experience not such a big deal and the basic management techniques still work.

If you want to speed up your learning curve, wear some underwear you wouldn't want anyone else to see. Those polkadot boxers your wife gave you at Xmas can keep you legal while still raising the importance in your mind enough that you develop the habits more quickly and never give the paparrazi anything they haven't paid for. Cartoon characters or words in large fonts across butts are likely to work too. :lol:
Daryl...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

one great advantage of skirts over pants .If you decide to change skirts you don't have to take your shoes or sneakers off
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

pelmut wrote:
Kirbstone wrote:....I do think however, that that advantage only applies to shorter skirts, not floor sweepers.
No problem, just gather them up and hold them above waist level until you have sat down; then bundle them onto your lap. It soon becomes second nature.
I think I prefer straight skirts which generally stay in one place when you pull them up to pee, then afterwards sorting out tights, slip etc is more straightforward. Lots of material just gets in the way, and I'd hate for any part of my skirt to end up in the water if I've not gathered it up properly. This is all new territory for guys, but I figure it's straight cut or pencil skirts / dresses for me for this reason. Only disadvantage that if it's tight it means smaller steps if the slit at the back doesn't help or is too small :oops: Also have to be more dignified getting in and out of cars and very careful on low seating :roll:
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

@JoePublic (and others) I've found that the "slit" works best if it's
on both sides, not the back. I like to call them "trim-tabs," less
violent than "slits."
If designing a skirt for a man, typically robust and active (not that
women aren't equally so) and getting in and out of vehicles a lot,
two 2 1/2 inch trim-tabs on either side functions better than one
5 inch trim-tab on the back. And less chance for exposure. On my
denim skirt that has these, they are at the bottom of side-seams.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I have the same experience with side slits. When I started to make skirts by myself, sometimes the hem was too short to my liking when it came to walking. I still had to find out that with a certain length of skirt you need a minimal length of hem to make your step in a not restricted way. With a slit of 2" to 4" you effectively reduce the length of the skirt but the visual length stays the same.
P6011823q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

Bertino56 wrote:@JoePublic (and others) I've found that the "slit" works best if it's
on both sides, not the back. I like to call them "trim-tabs," less
violent than "slits."
If designing a skirt for a man, typically robust and active (not that
women aren't equally so) and getting in and out of vehicles a lot,
two 2 1/2 inch trim-tabs on either side functions better than one
5 inch trim-tab on the back. And less chance for exposure. On my
denim skirt that has these, they are at the bottom of side-seams.
Okay... if "slit" is too violent, then 'walking vent'...
back.JPG
Most of my skirts are like this girl's, if the vent keeps the shape of the skirt tapered inwards which is the style I prefer, it's good. I prefer a more snug fit as it can keep me warm in colder months. I asked a female friend what she thought of my skirt, and she said it looked nice, but she advised me that satin look or skirts with slits on either side was a little slutty, especially if the vent/trim-tab/slit (delete as appropriate :mrgreen: ) was too high. I generally prefer dark colours like black or navy, sometimes grey, but no real issues with work which is nice. The only disadvantage is low seating, so some may inadvertantly get a view up your skirt, which is where a slip helps, even though most of my skirts are lined. My female friend told me that exposure is just part of the territory, and not to worry about it. I also make sure none of my slips are longer than my skirts which can just look messy. I am slowly getting the hang of this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

JoePublic wrote:Okay... if "slit" is too violent, then 'walking vent'...
"Kick pleat" is the industry term for that slit at the back that overlaps so the skirt looks continuous except when the pleat is actually being kicked. Super easy to sew if planned at the begining, but impossible to add after the fact (unllike a slit along an existing seam).

We tend to think of a pleat as being closed, but the kick pleat is usually not, so it seems a slightly counterintuitive term. Also, most kick pleats don't actually expand one's range of leg motion much, usually not enough to do any actual kicking. They give you time to notice the fabric against the back of your leg so you can abort a kick before tearing your skirt, I reckon.

Straight skirts and pencil skirts with kick pleats at the back are about as sharp looking as a skirt can get, IMO. The kick pleat adds a tailored/finished touch, to my eye.
Daryl...
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

Daryl wrote:
JoePublic wrote:Okay... if "slit" is too violent, then 'walking vent'...
"Kick pleat" is the industry term for that slit at the back that overlaps so the skirt looks continuous except when the pleat is actually being kicked. Super easy to sew if planned at the begining, but impossible to add after the fact (unllike a slit along an existing seam).

We tend to think of a pleat as being closed, but the kick pleat is usually not, so it seems a slightly counterintuitive term. Also, most kick pleats don't actually expand one's range of leg motion much, usually not enough to do any actual kicking. They give you time to notice the fabric against the back of your leg so you can abort a kick before tearing your skirt, I reckon.

Straight skirts and pencil skirts with kick pleats at the back are about as sharp looking as a skirt can get, IMO. The kick pleat adds a tailored/finished touch, to my eye.
I did try a skirt with a kick pleat, like the type air hostesses used to wear back in the day
b7b3a4cb74b9df961189512ebc5db439.jpg
But ironing the skirt was a bother and I felt I shuffled rather than have a decent stride in most of my pencil skirts which are like the one below
107-ililily-Fitted-Solid-Basic-Knee-Length-Pencil-Skirt-Rear-Slit-Hidden-Zipper-for-Women-4.jpg
which I find much more comfortable and easy just to put on and forget about. The formal ones are more for work or occasions I want to feel more dressy and presentable, often with patterned tights if out to dinner or a function, I am looking for a shoe where the heel is not too high, I still feel I am dressed as a guy in a skirt rather than trying to pass. The top half is definitely masculine, polo shirt or smart shirt for work. A lot cheaper than kilts and easier to sit in, no worrying about ruining pleats or spending a fortune on the thing. I also have a few denim straight skirts too :)
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Joe if you are a normal size (I am a 9 in men's and the 10 in ladies fits fine.)Try amazon They have a very big selection of Mary Janes. These are the shoes with a strap across the front .This strap goes a long way towards making heels easy to manage and walk in.. They have everything from flats to 4 inch heels. They especially have a lot with a thick heel which again is a great aid for those of us who new to wearing heels. The prices are great usually around or under 25 US