Disadvantages of Different Kinds of Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Disadvantages of Different Kinds of Skirts

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I would like to find a wrap skirt because it would allow unlimited ventilation plus easy to put on and take off while wearing hiking boots. I enjoy hiking in skirts for the freedom and comfort.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

You can't beat velcro on the waist for speed and ease of fitting and removal. This is a feature of all Sportkilts and one Scotkilt that I have. I like wrapskirts anyway and I'm sure it's no task really to add velcro if there's none there.

I had just one meet-up with a Forum member, one Ian Milfmog at a regatta at Henley-upon-Thames some years ago and to this end I had included one Sportkilt 'Kilt-on-fire' in my kitbag. Ian came on a bike dressed in mamil, so the sportkilt stayed in the bag. It didn't detract from the conviviality of the meeting one iota, let me add!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

denimini wrote:I would say the biggest problem with a mini skirt is feeling your bare legs contacting pubic seats...
A Freudian slip?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

...and an effusive Tyrolean hotel owner, while describing his accommodation said:.....'and zere are French widows in alloff ze bedroomss'......

Tom
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

pelmut wrote:
denimini wrote:I would say the biggest problem with a mini skirt is feeling your bare legs contacting pubic seats...
A Freudian slip?
I doubt that any sort of slip would help.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I would like to find a wrap skirt because it would allow unlimited ventilation plus easy to put on and take off while wearing hiking boots. I enjoy hiking in skirts for the freedom and comfort.
Maniacally agreed on the freedom and comfort.

Have you considered a utility kilt?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

To prevent your legs from sticking to seats, bring a bandana, handkerchief, or a tee shirt to sit on.

I have had some friction discomfort in front while wearing a short skirt, particularly denim. I found a 14" half slip online which solved the problem.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Kirbstone wrote:...and an effusive Tyrolean hotel owner, while describing his accommodation said:.....'and zere are French widows in alloff ze bedroomss'......

Tom
"...affording delightful prospects", the sentence continues. Gerard Hoffnung's famous 1958 speech at the Oxford Union, still available on CD :D
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Kirbstone wrote:You can't beat velcro on the waist for speed and ease of fitting and removal. This is a feature of all Sportkilts and one Scotkilt that I have. I like wrapskirts anyway and I'm sure it's no task really to add velcro if there's none there.

I had just one meet-up with a Forum member, one Ian Milfmog at a regatta at Henley-upon-Thames some years ago and to this end I had included one Sportkilt 'Kilt-on-fire' in my kitbag. Ian came on a bike dressed in mamil, so the sportkilt stayed in the bag. It didn't detract from the conviviality of the meeting one iota, let me add!

Tom
On the (rather splendid) occasion that I met Tom I had 15 miles cycled cross country so a skirt was not really an option. The fact that a beer or two was firmly on the list gave me another reason not to add a skirt into the mix; just too many complications (I should probably admit that I was going home via an open day at the local brewery (more beer - and FREE beer at that!) so cycling shorts were the only sensible choice.

However, to get back on topic, I have a couple of wrap skirts that I use for walking and they are as near perfect for walking as anything I could hope to find. The freedom of movement they offer could only be improved on by wearing skin alone ( :shock: ) and there is no question about how ventilated they are. The only downside can be if the wind is blowing from the open side the apron can sometimes fly away leaving more leg on display than my mother would regard as proper. A couple of my wraps have an additional optional fastener part way down that can be used when necessary to fix the problem albeit at the cost of some freedom of movement.

Have fun,

Ian.

PS Tom, if you are this way again, give me a shout; I reckon it is my round...
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I'll hold you to that, Ian and the pleasure will be all mine.

Alas, two years ago we lost our lovely perennial Henley landlady. A delightful soul who looked after our crews there since 1971. Co-incidental with her departure quite a few key personnel at our club ceased to row actively. We still get out every week, but are not competitive enough in eights or fours to take on the likes of the Tideway Scullers, so an appearance at Henley Masters by Old Collegians will not happen again soon

There might however be another unrelated circumstance that will entice me to brave the Berks/Bucks borders. I'll keep you posted, of course.

Tom
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Straight Skirts/narrower A-lines

Post by Grok »

Haven't encountered this disadvantage as of yet. But it occurred to me that there could be one if you have a full bladder. With a looser or fuller design you can simply lift the front of the skirt. I don't think it would be that convenient with a tightly fitting skirt.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Discovered that my nightwatch camo Utilikilt happens to be the least wind-proof skirt I own. Twice in the past two weeks, it has blown up in the back. Luckily, I had another skirt on underneath in the first incident, and a dress the second incident (this past Monday). So, no undergarments were visible.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Kilted_John wrote:Discovered that my nightwatch camo Utilikilt happens to be the least wind-proof skirt I own. Twice in the past two weeks, it has blown up in the back. Luckily, I had another skirt on underneath in the first incident, and a dress the second incident (this past Monday). So, no undergarments were visible. -J
At least you were wearing undergarments. I still do not understand the worry about the showing of undergarments if your skirt does blow up. It is not illegal to show your under things. The only time I would worry is if I wasn't wearing any.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:I still do not understand the worry about the showing of undergarments if your skirt does blow up. It is not illegal to show your under things.
It's not that's it's illegal, but rather that it's considered gauche for a guy to do so. Yes, women are afforded more latitude in this, but that's down to the old double-standard and little else. Wrong? Yes, but that's not a fight I want to take on.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Just exercise due diligence and wear black.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron