It's So HOT that I.........

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: It's So HOT that I.........

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:The world needs more than just Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light.
Indeed, and miraculously, it seems to be happening. Britain was fortunate enough to have had CAMRA (the CAMpaign for Real Ale) -- which seems to have paid off handsomely -- and the US has lots of micro-breweries popping up, some of which produce astonishingly good ales and lagers.

Caution. Ramble follows.

I've been a bit of an ale-head since before I was supposed to be drinking, and have always detested the mass-market "beer" that gets foisted off on an ignorant public in the USA. My usual go-to brew when I'm out is Guinness -- which at 4.2% ABV is decidedly low-test, but delicious, which means I can enjoy more of it than I could, say, of Arrogant Bastard (which is a "treat brew" for when I'm home and want to savour). My local serves Guinness on draught, so I'm a happy boy there. The place where I take lunch also brews, and I think I shall have to sample what they have on offer (save that they also have Guinness on draught which makes for a fairly high bar to clear).

Most of my friends -- at least the ones who imbibe -- tend to like good stuff, but others like cruder brews including one who drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon and though I occasionally shout him a round make sure to do so down my nose and with the opprobrium of, "I'm not usually one to lessen another man's existence, but would you please put that man's "beer" on my tab." (The lad also likes Jameson, so I suppose he can't be completely rotten.)

In any event, it's nice to see proper beer getting the sort of respect it deserves, not only as a grand tradition, but as an art form. Blessed are the micro-brewers!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Bier, Bier, Bier the drink of the gods. I myself when the doctor allows me a dram or two like to drink very dark German bier. Not the type brewed here in the states but in Germany. I got a taste for it while in the Air Force. I had a pilot friend who made a couple of round trips to Germany each month in a C-130.(1) He would bring back bier that was only sold on the economy there and not on the base. This had the highest amount of ABV(2) that you could find and was so smooth that a non beer drinking friend actually liked it.
I would have him get me 2 cases on each trip. Now that was some great drinking. :pint:

(1) a large cargo plane used by the Air Force.
(2) ABV Alcohol by Volume.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

My daughter manages a neighborhood sports bar & grill sort of place, and they have 24 kinds of beer on tap, constantly changing, no Bud, Millers, or Coors of any kind in sight. They send the waitresses to a couple days of training so they understand the differences among all the beers and can help the patrons to find the right one. It's at least as complicated as ordering wine.

Another restaurant with several locations here in Phoenix has over 200 kinds of beer on tap. Yes, on tap.

How far we've come. Beer is fun again.

And all by small businesses beating out the big tasteless brewing corporations. Gotta love it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Whilst growing up I remember some drinking black and tan - a traditional pale ale mixed with a dark stout such as guinness. When I can get it I like a beer called Waggledance made from honey. Probably not one that many have heard of.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

I've developed a taste for a beer from Brewdog called (crass marketing alert!) "Dead Pony Club". I don't like the name but the beer is tasty and best of all you can pretty much drink it all day without feeling that drunk.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Joke: How are Coors Light and making love in a canoe alike? They are pretty f**king close to water!! :lol:

Seriously before the craft beer movement I used to drink whiskey instead of beer since I could not stand the insipid bulk beers such as Budweiser. Of course I drank a lot more alcohol back then and frequently got intoxicated, something that now rarely happens for me.

I remember the days when Guinness Stout came in 4-packs of small bottles, and people would mix stout with light colored beer as a black and tan blend. Tastes have changed so Guinness stout comes in 6-packs of standard size bottles.

John
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

In a way I'm quite blessed living in Pennsylvania with the rich folklore of the German Pennsyvanian Dutch in the field of beer making. Every now and then a new micro-brewery comes up with more traditional beers.

Back in the days, I went to a bachelor party in my hometown. The location was fittingly called "House of the 100 beers." They had about 20 beers on tap and a huge fridge filled with bottles. When the group was more or less there, the problem came up which beer to order. I solved the problem as an engineer would do: go by the alphabet. To this day I still don't know if I came to the letter L or M. And I was quite ahead of the crowd.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:.. the problem came up which beer to order. I solved the problem as an engineer would do: go by the alphabet. To this day I still don't know if I came to the letter L or M...
Every man wants two beers.

Because after you drink one, you want another.

And after the second one you feel like a new man.

And that man wants two beers...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I think I'll go and have two beers...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Doctors orders:
Take TWO of these and call me yada yada yada !
Never did get around to hear what the TWO were - I'll drink to that !

It is not so much the heat it is the liquid stuff embedded in it !
It is no wonder that there are mirages in the desert and the brain.

This is your brain - this is your brain after taking TWO of these !
I think I need a cooler script for this forum or go back to drinking those TWO !

Anyway - try - no make that stay cool it spite of the furnace being on in the summer
and leave the air conditioning to the winter !

Did I just write that - well take TWO more of these and it will get better !
Doctor doctor - he's hallucinating again - more sand in the desert - more snow in the artic -
global warming is just a figment of ones imagination ! Who left the oven door open while baking ?
Get the drift of the ice berg - this is insane what man is doing to the environment.

What was that secret code "One if by land and TWO if by sea" makes no difference man is flirting with both !
So come in out of the sun take TWO more of these to ruin your 6-pak measurements - were you counting ?

This has something to do with Shakespeare's Summer of discontent ! And you thought it was his Winter !

Yes I am leaving enough of this falderal and balderdash couldn't cool things down and just heated things up !
Good day - have it your way or else !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Yes, there are two types of six pack abs. One is the lean abdomen where you can see muscles. The other type happens when one drinks 6-packs of beer. This type is also called a "beer belly".

I typically don't have more than two beers in a session out of consideration for my wife. Beer is gassy and I might have to relieve myself from both ends. I have earned the affectionate name "Thunderbutt" due to the sounds of gas relief on the lower end, which I absolutely try to minimize.

And God forbid I have a bean supper on Saturdays; you don't want to pass gas when kneeling at the Communion rail on Sunday morning. That would be a Falter at the Altar.

John
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It was so hot today that I spent most of the day around the house in a nice loose skirt, sans underwear for a change. I was on a late shift so didn't start work until 17:00 and I decided to take the company up on the change of dress code and wore b lack cargo shorts. Even so my legs were sweating at times. I was talking to one of my colleagues, saying that I was wearing a skirt all day up until I came to work. She then dropped a bombshell on me by saying that she has male friends who wear skirts. So I said that I am not unique in York. She confirmed that I wasn't. I then said that although I am pleased that I am different and content with that I am also glad that I find that I am no longer unique. Unfortunately she is leaving in three weeks time but the good news is that she is only moving two shops down the estate, so not far. Whooooeeee. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Sinned wrote:It was so hot today that I spent most of the day around the house in a nice loose skirt, sans underwear for a change. I was on a late shift so didn't start work until 17:00 and I decided to take the company up on the change of dress code and wore b lack cargo shorts. Even so my legs were sweating at times. I was talking to one of my colleagues, saying that I was wearing a skirt all day up until I came to work. She then dropped a bombshell on me by saying that she has male friends who wear skirts. So I said that I am not unique in York. She confirmed that I wasn't. I then said that although I am pleased that I am different and content with that I am also glad that I find that I am no longer unique. Unfortunately she is leaving in three weeks time but the good news is that she is only moving two shops down the estate, so not far. Whooooeeee. :D
The next stage is to get these other men to wear skirts more often and more visibly. Unfortunately, I can't think of how that could be easily achieved!

I don't want to be "unique" in that way anymore. I want to walk out of my door in a skirt and see another couple of men in skirts in the neighbourhood. I do think that time is fast approaching!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
DonP

Post by DonP »

...wore a kilt all day. I have a couple 5.11 kilts that are lightweight and very comfortable. Just right for a hot day. I wear it walking the dogs, going out for ice cream or a beer, or just sitting on the porch. I even wore a hiking kilt while kayaking the other day. A little awkward getting in and out discreetly, but very freeing. One woman at the ice cream stand mentioned that her husband also wears a kilt, but no other comments anywhere else.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

SD in mini's (thumbs up), mini breweries, German breweries, kilts, German beer. Does anyone know whether the Brewery which had its staff working in kilt is still operational? And so name and location.