I STILL can't be seen near my home while skirted.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I STILL can't be seen near my home while skirted.

Post by Caultron »

hairy wrote:Just to add, I did manage a few times this week going out of my garden in a skirt to water my plants. Out of the side gate to public footpath, round to my front door with watering cans a few times. I could feel the old bag's eyes over the road burning in to me, and she's probably been on phone to all the old farts in my road. What do I care, I'm going to get over this.
That's the spirit!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I wear skirts that resemble shorts and no one seems to notice. There have been times when my wife didn't know until I told her. Try a denim skirt. Mine are hemmed above the knee and look like shorts. I wear them in public all the time. Just don't climb ladders while wearing them.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Oh, hairy, you rebel you. You should put your skirt on, walk up to the old bat's door and when she answers do a twirl and say, "This is going to be my normal look from now on. I thought that I'd give you a preview. Any objections?" I know that it'll take cojones but, if you've got a pair big enough to wear a skirt outside then they should be big enough for this. Anyway attack is the best form of defence. Also confronting her directly takes the ammunition away from her. We have all had situations we were dreading and after facing up to them we've generally felt better.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Sinned wrote:Oh, hairy, you rebel you. You should put your skirt on, walk up to the old bat's door and when she answers do a twirl and say, "This is going to be my normal look from now on. I thought that I'd give you a preview. Any objections?" I know that it'll take cojones but, if you've got a pair big enough to wear a skirt outside then they should be big enough for this. Anyway attack is the best form of defence. Also confronting her directly takes the ammunition away from her. We have all had situations we were dreading and after facing up to them we've generally felt better.
I like that one Dennis. Unfortunatly I'm not going near her door.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

hairy wrote:I like that one Dennis. Unfortunatly I'm not going near her door.
Afraid she will cast a spell on you :?: :twisted: These people live to be feared, it makes them stronger. If you confront her she will have to back down and you have taken the fire out of her cannon.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Fred's right. They get their power over people through the fear that they generate. Confronting them weakens them. Do you want to be cowering timidly behind your front door for the next 20 years or go out boldly in whatever dress/skirt you want? But it's your life and your neighbourhood but you know it makes sense. We're only trying to offer insane and insensible advice.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

hairy wrote: I've Been able to go most places skirted but stepping from garden to the car is about 5 yards and I wear jeans for that bit. …but I still find it impossible to walk those 5 yards to the car even in a full length kilt. Its all to do with being in an area where people might know me that I have problems with.

Hairy, you have to find out, whether your real problem is the old woman? If so, how much sympathy shall an old drunken ugly woman have from your neighbors? How much should they listen to her gossip? How much should they care about what she says? I suppose they are not like her. And how much should YOU care about such person?

But could the old woman be just the symbol? You mention people who know you – the other neighbors? Does it mean much to you what they think? Or should it?

When I started kilt wearing I was afraid of my neighbors, too. I wore it in our garden and to the letter box at the road and thought that no one knew about it. Then at a gathering with all the families on the road where we live, our neighbor next door/house, a professor by the way, was talking to a young couple who was quite new on the road and when I joined them he asked them if they had already seen me in a kilt? He then told them about it as a natural thing. He hadn’t realized that I had tried to keep it a secret. And I now understood that in fact all knew. And I was just as accepted as before they knew of it. It was a great relief, to me and my wife.

Since then – 12 years ago it must be – I have worn my kilts in the neighborhood. Every morning year round I take the dog out, always in a kilt. And every day I say hello to two or three neighbors and often we have a little chat. All of them are very nice people and all of them, including a female psychologist, seem to have absolutely no objections to my way of dressing.

Make up your mind, how you want to be seen, never exaggerate, and remember less is more and start being seen. Tomorrow is Saturday. A good day to start, it is. If asked why, have an answer at hand, and tell them. Go shopping with your wife and daughter, and no matter how they are dressed, you'll be wearing your kilt. Or your skirt. Do it. Tomorrow.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

You need to quit thinking about it and just live your life as you see fit. I highly doubt that anyone is going to confront you about what you're wearing.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Hairy.

I've been absent from this forum for a few months. Been busy else where in many aspects, in my skirt of course, going into new locations as well as locally and among neighbours and this includes promoting men in skirts where ever. Returned to this forum very recently and this thread has interested me.

Your concern to you is genuine. The replies all good. I like the last 4 my kind of thinking. I assume your sutuation of the 5 yards has not changed for you. All I can say is what the above have. I have been in similar thought situations myself in my earlier stages of wearing skirts in public but you cannot live your life in fear. You must confront your fear. Fear controls and manipulates you and creates negativity. There will always be some one like this neighbour of yours wherever you go, even areas that you feel confident in. Because it is not your neighbourhood you are not aware of all. Neighbourhoods are far more intimate. You will notice and your neighbours will notice. If she and other neighbours who listen to her are going to react towards you or your family they would have done it by now. You have said she has seen you. She knows.

I am very rural, in a very conservative area. Near neighbours spread out, all know, all fine except one. One is clearly not in favour and when see me openly laugh. All local community know and vast majority are fine. Their are a few who are anti men in skirts but I still go out and about. I stand my ground, I have as much right to be me, as I want just as much as they themselves. This one neighbour, the females are very male orientated especially in dress. The few locals who are anti embrace their freedoms especially the women. Guess what, I'm still here, I live to tell the tale. A lot stop and talk to me, builders, gamekeepers etc. There will always be those who will make it known they do not like you and for more than your choice of clothes. Be you, go out with confidence. This neighbour of yours I can assure you will be replicated elsewhere. Show you are confident with yourself, content with yourself. They have the problem not you.

Only you can decide no matter what advice comes from this forum. You must do what you feel comfortable with, but above all, accept your decision and move on.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

TheSkirtedMan wrote:...One is clearly not in favour and when see me openly laugh...
Either:

1. Stop, cover your mouth, point at her, and giggle.

2. Ask her what year is. Then, when she says 2017, pump your fist, shout, "Yes!" and dance away.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Its not just this one pathetic old bag. She got moved to my road after a neighbour beat her up because she was cuasing trouble, even the police told me she is a stirrer. She does not need to come near my garden but a few years ago she complained my hedge was too over high, it probably upset her because she could not see in my house/garden. The hedge got cut back by force. I retaliated by put up a notice saying what I would do if I found her cat in my garden. The police were called. She loves standing out in her front garden seeing who walks by so she grab them and start gossip about ANYONE. There are many like her in my street with too much time on their hands.
What I need to do now is let those that matter CAREFULLY know I wear skirts before that gossip starts to fly with mud attached. I have friends in my street who do matter and they would not turn their backs on me but I don't want to shock them too much. One of them was recently shocked when he see me with nail varnish cutting my hedge. He asked me if it was a mid life crisis, I told him I've been having that for past 20years. He said he would never do a thing like that but he's OK about it. He's one of those who likes his football, beer and shaven head but I told him to get over it and he's fine when he see's me with different colour nails.
As I say, I need to carefully let those that matter, those friends that I'd rather not lose know about it first, that will take time but they won't turn away from me. The other thing is that my elderly father must never know, he would not understand and I would not want to be cut out of his will.
Jeromy, thanks for your input. I can see you've changed your site and been working on that.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Hairy, to me it seems that you might be in the need of a new neighborhood.

Or what if you simply let everyone see you wearing a skirt? Gossip is about something that is or should be kept a secret. But still, who would spend five seconds of their life listening to a witch like your neighbor? I really couldn't imagine.

By the way, colored nails are to me by far more femme (and less comprehensable) than is a proper skirt.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

When I decided I wanted to wear skirts to church I wondered if I shouldn't one Sunday explain myself and then the next Sunday show up.

My pastor suggested I just do it!

Turned out to be great advice.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Me too on going to church. I was looking for a new parish and just wore utility kilt on my first visit and got no comment from anyone. It's no different from being anywhere else. Why should it be?

After a while I tried some out-and-out skirts and again there was no difference in reaction.

caultron
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Caultron wrote:
TheSkirtedMan wrote:...One is clearly not in favour and when see me openly laugh...
Either:

1. Stop, cover your mouth, point at her, and giggle.

2. Ask her what year is. Then, when she says 2017, pump your fist, shout, "Yes!" and dance away.
As with most who pass a negative comment or reaction you know you will not change their mind set so I do the ultimate. I speak to them. "Morning", "hello", "good weather" etc. They usually ignore but the negativity mostly stops. Doesn't change them but you have taken "the wind out of their sails" as they say. I only react if I am sure I can come out the other side on top, and you can get a feel for that. Anyhow, it hardly happens out and about and with regards this neighbour, I don't need them and hardly see them. I'll shout out "hello" though.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.