Walked at lake (and new on this forum)

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Walked at lake (and new on this forum)

Post by moonshadow »

Eevee wrote:This was at a lake in Tennessee, anyone else here who knows how open minded people in this state usually are? I'm a little afraid to go to Walmart or to busy parts of the city.

I've walked once before in a skirt and black tights from one side of a shopping mall in Atlanta to the other side while walking through some stores to look at skirts. That was really scary and on the other side quickly changed back into my jeans.
I really hadn't spent much time in a skirt in Tennessee until I was reasonably confident. I don't think it's so much about where you're at verses how you carry yourself while you're there. Lets make no mistake about it, when you wear a skirt, you will stand out. If you have your proverbial tail between your legs everywhere you go, then yes, southern locals will chew you up and spit you out. My best advise to you is to work towards conquering the timidness. I can not explain how this is done, only that after a while it seems to come naturally. I suppose the one thing to NOT do is give up.

As a bit of peace of mind, I can tell you that yes, Dennis is correct, I have been all over the place in some pretty girly stuff, and yet I make no effort to "pass". Yes I've had my fair share of looks and second glances, and more than a few giggles, laughs, and other rude remarks. I have probably logged thousands of hours in the public eye in the C.S.A (Conservative States of America) while wearing skirts and dresses, and I can tell you that in all that experience, I have NEVER had anyone physically harass me. Verbally harass from across the room? Yes. In my face? Never. But regarding verbal assaults, as they say... "sticks and stones"....

When you wear a skirt in public as a man, you are somewhat of a novelty. Not all stares and double takes are bad, and you'll get plenty that are. Reasons for this are varied, but try not to dwell on it too much. Other people's prejudice and bigotry is their problem, not yours. As I often have to remind myself, "they don't even know me, and what to I owe them?"

The answer is: NOTHING!

Don't let the assholes of this society rule over your life, they're not worth it, and only seek to make you as miserable as they are.

All that said, when you are approached (and it is just a matter of time), chances are very good it will be an encounter of genuine curiosity, do answer their questions as politely as possible. Be honest and not defensive. Don't rush to play liberal cards, understand you're playing on their field. Rather, play the FREEDOM card. Southerners hold individual freedom and liberties most high, and most have a sort of libertarian outlook on matters. Kindly explain that you don't expect people to agree with how you dress, but that as your actions are not harming anyone, that you see no need to allow the mob to rule over your individual rights... It's difficult for a reasonable "patriot" to argue the notions of individual freedom, and if we are not free to at least dress ourselves freely and in our own taste and style, then how can we call ourselves free?
(and didn't wanted to give them a second chance to take pictures)
Now that will happen, and there isn't much you can do about it. I've turned a 180 on many occasions only to catch a smart phone camera pointed my way.

My advice... SMILE! Maybe throw up a wave! When someone wants a picture with me, either with them or just solitary, I normally oblige their request. Sometimes you even make a friend out of it!

Taken in Franklin Tennessee, April 1 2017...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.