Going out in public skirted for the first time

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bowtie

Going out in public skirted for the first time

Post by Bowtie »

Hi everyone,

I wonder if I can get some advice from you all. I’m looking to go out in public in one of my skirts for the first time and this is a big step for me. I’ve settled, I think, on an outfit – which is one of my navy blue plain skirts paired with a polo shirt (I have attached a picture for any interested)... What do you think of this combination – does it work ok as an outfit and look ok?

Secondly, in terms of my plan for going out I am thinking about driving to a nearby small-ish town where I could park up and then talk a short walk around quiet roads (i.e. not the main high street or anything like that) – do you think this is a good idea? my plan would be to walk around for 15 mins or so, something like that, before getting back to my car – I think that would be a good first outing, but I am interested if anyone has any ideas for a complete novice here!

Thanks in advance!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Going out in public skirted for the first time

Post by oldsalt1 »

The outfit is fine . I f this is your first time I wouldn't roam to far from your car just for your own comfort . My first outings were to the gas station . This way I had my car hiding me and I could always jump back in.
After that I would go to someplace like a convience store . I don't know what you would call them in the uk in the us it is a 7/11 or corner deli where you can park relatively close than jump out go in buy a paper or a soda than get right back into your car . Use cash it is a faster transaction than having to use a card. going to a nearby town is a good idea.

At first keep the car close until you get a little confidence.

Its ok to take a dry run in pants or shorts. look over where you want to go.and plan exactly what you are going to do

Important It doesn't have to be done today if you go someplace and it doesn't feel right skip it there is always tomorrow

It does get easier. you will soon learn people hardly ever notice.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

BT, your suggestion is sound. You'll feel out of sorts the first time but keep it at the front of your mind that most will not even notice and those that do won't care. We can't say it enough that, even if you're just about shaking inside, if you present a confident air and walk about as if this is perfectly normal, as if you are wearing trousers, then that will disarm nearly everything. Smile and people will ignore the skirt and wonder what you are smiling about. People will notice fear, uncertainty and doubt more as you will radiate it. Good luck and as oldsalt says it does get easier.
Last edited by Sinned on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

BT,
I think the advice I would add is to tone down the effect of the socks. Your picture shows black or navy socks pulled up as far as they will go - IMHO, a lighter coloured sock turned over (or short enough) to just cover the ankle does a lot to reduce the visual impact. I am guessing that you will team the outfit up with trainers or similar - you don't need traditional male 'clunky' footwear.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

If the outfit helps you feel confident, it's fine.

Personally, I'd skip the socks and avoid clunky men's shoes but don't take that as criticism. You should do whatever you need to do.

Good luck!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
DonP

Post by DonP »

I prefer "clunky men's shoes"
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I've worn a similar outfit with ankle socks and trainers on vacation. No one notices if I was wearing muted colors like Black or Navy. When I switched to Red and White pleated skirt or my tropical print skirt, then they noticed, no way not to notice a big guy wearing a bright tropical print skirt.

I have no problem with going to shopping, market even out to the casual restaurants for dinner in a skit.
I general treat Skirts as as replacement for shorts. So any place I would wear shorts I'll often opt to wear a skirt instead.

In more formal situation I will opt for a Regular Kilt or one of a couple of nice business type skirts that I have. No one has said a thing to me about wearing a skirt.

:ugeek:
David R

Post by David R »

Hi Bowtie. I wear skirts like that with shirts like that plus black sock and trainers all the time except in mid-winter. That's my uniform. In fact I just returned from 3 weeks travel around the UK including the south-west wearing only clothes like you propose to wear. In summer an outfit as you propose does not get noted or commented on. I found that wearing pleated kilt style garments are more noticed than a simple A-line skirt, particularly if the wind is blowing so generally I stick with A-line skirts. In the simple and plain outfit you propose you will go virtually unnoticed. To some degree a good starting place may even be a very busy and crowded place where no-one has time or interest to work out what kind of shorts? you are wearing and people are concentrating on other matters. I would suggest a crowded market to build up confidence, particularly where alternative personal presentation is not unusual. You gain confidence by mixing with a lot of people who are going about their business oblivious of what you are wearing. Perhaps wear a long lightweight coat to get from your car to the market (a good excuse if it is raining) then take the coat off once you are in the throng. You may not even feel inclined to put your coat on to get back to your car. Cheers.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

DonP wrote:I prefer "clunky men's shoes"
Yes, I wear them most times with skirts, unaware until now of the clunkiness.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Bowtie

Post by Bowtie »

Thanks for the advice and support here everyone... I'll definitely take this all on board and hopefully take my first venture out soon! My feeling is that the outfit with the a line skirt is relatively discreet so shouldn't attract too much attention, but I'll let you know how I get on!! :D
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Bowtie wrote:Thanks for the advice and support here everyone... I'll definitely take this all on board and hopefully take my first venture out soon! My feeling is that the outfit with the a line skirt is relatively discreet so shouldn't attract too much attention, but I'll let you know how I get on!! :D
If I could make a suggestion (and you don't have to take my advice). I'd wear some invisible socks (the ones that end on the ankle) with any shoes. I think it would look better with the skirt. Also, I would wear your least chunkiest shoes with the skirt. Tough one to crack as virtually all men's shoes look overly chunky!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I believe that mens' shoes are expected to be worn with trousers.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I should, like several have already suggested, chose trainers or sneakers.

About choosing a small town and a walking around quiet roads, I don’t know if this would be the best of solutions. You shall be seen by less people but they, on the other hand, will be staring more, because they have nothing else to do.

The first time I was wearing a skirt in public was on a holyday. While my wife was enjoying the sun I drove to a nearby shopping mall. It was a Saturday morning and there were a lot of people in the mall. Inside the H&M store I had soon found three skirts that I liked. I had, after some hesitation, even tried them on, got the right sizes and paid for them. Then I decided that today it should be. Therefore I again went to the dressing rooms, waited a long time outside for a free cabin, went in, changed to one of the skirts, looked at myself, changed back to my shorts, regretted and took on the skirt again. I should by then so much like going back to my shorts but realized that people were waiting outside. I simply couldn’t spend more time in there. Point-of-no-return. 1-2-3, door open and out; me wearing a short skirt.
I by then only thought of getting back to my car which suddenly seemed so far, far away. Then I calmed down, after all that was what I had for a long time been dreaming about. Now it was a reality. Of course people saw that I was wearing a skirt. And of course they didn’t care. Why should they? I spent a good time in the mall, bought a magazine and two CD’s.

For the first time out in a skirt
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

GerdG wrote:...Of course people saw that I was wearing a skirt. And of course they didn’t care. Why should they? I spent...
How did your wife react when you got back?

Or did you chicken and change before you got there?

Was she prepared in any way? Like, had you worn skirts around the house or discussed it or anything?

Did you stay skirted the rest of the holiday?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

We had the night before talked about the injustice of women being able to wear everything, men only what men used to wear.

No, I didn't change. The shorts I had been wearing were very much looking like my new skirt, the major difference it being a skirt. In fact my wife didn't notice that I was wearing a skirt until I had been back for quiete some time. She accepted it in the first place. And I wore it several times during the holidays. But after some time she started to worry about it.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.