Interesting talk about....man-gown? Man dress? ideal MUG!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Interesting talk about....man-gown? Man dress? ideal MUG!

Post by Raakone »

On another site, because of someone's picture of a character, a conversation ensued. Said character is a faerie from an old video game, the game being Rodland, the person being "Rit." There's a debate whether it's a guy or a girl (his sister, Tam, is definitely female) So, I'm on the he's a guy side. The picture is here... http://noxyukianesa.deviantart.com/art/ ... -681819323 As you can see, a conversation started. Now, what do you think of his outfit?

The Coles Notes/Cliffs Notes version of relevant things....
- I'd like an outfit like Rit's, but with pockets!
- What do you call such a thing?
- I'd wear it if it was more acceptable. The other person said I should just shut up and wear it! *laughs* I said I'd have to actually find such a thing, or commission a seamstress/sewer!
- Other person said it would be very useful in the summer. I said it would be nice sometimes to just, after taking a morning shower, slip on a....whatever you call it and sandals, and then go! (Except I kept saying, MUST HAVE POCKETS! Also, must be opaque. Just as it isn't any concern in this group, whatever may or may not be under said outfit I do not wish to broadcast to everyone I go past)

If you cannot read the conversation there (so far, the only chain of replies there, and click "1 reply" to see it continue), let me know and I might write a transcript here. Also, the pic...

Image And an image of a character I created who dresses the same way Image
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interesting talk about....man-gown? Man dress? ideal MUG

Post by Judah14 »

The garment is called "thawb" in Arab countries, and here is a picture of me wearing one:
The thawb I am wearing in the picture goes with pockets and was bought in a store selling Muslim clothing.
らき☆
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I recognise that garment would say that it is called a dress, or possibly a tunic. It has sleeves and I have one or two just like it but in black. They are extremely comfortable to wear and I'm a fan although I haven't been outside in one yet, but I can feel the urge coming on. As to whether the character is male or female - it's very difficult to tell as the character is presumably a child and the look is very androgenous. It may become more apparent as the character grows older.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Looks like a normal short-sleeve t-shirt dress. I have a couple. One that's a tomato red, and one that's two-tone red/blue. On the second one, the shirt part is red, and the skirt is blue. The second one also has 3/4 length sleeves, instead of true short sleeves. Neither one has pockets, unfortunately. Both are a little heavier, so I probably won't be rocking them during the summer, but maybe once we get into mid-september, I'll throw one on.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

Judah14 wrote:The garment is called "thawb" in Arab countries, and here is a picture of me wearing one:
The thawb I am wearing in the picture goes with pockets and was bought in a store selling Muslim clothing.

nice,they are also called Caftans,
here is a couple discussions about them;
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 65&t=19117

http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 65&t=10909
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Well I have just ordered one of these off EBay;

Oh well, apparently bitmaps aren't allowed, no doubt I would have to fight the Too bigometer if I try to upload in any other format, can't be bothered, so here is a link to the item on EBay, if that works:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/beautiful-Men ... Ciid%253A1
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Discussion of the house dress.

http://www.racked.com/2016/9/1/12519724/house-dress

After reading the article, I realized that my thinking is similarly bifurcated-I make a distinction between clothing to be worn at home, and clothing to be worn out and about.

Out and about-garments that have elements of practicality, such as sturdy construction, belt loops, good pockets..... Generally, garments for environments less benign than the home.

At home? Dress that does not tightly encase the body, allowing the skin to breathe. Garments that are waistless, with nothing constricting the waist. And best of all, bare feet! :D
Last edited by Grok on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

I wear Thobes/Caftans?Robes all the time