What makes a skirt manly v feminine

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:Okay, I won't. (At least not until I watch it.)
Do. (Watch the movie, that is.) It's Monty Python meets Cheech and Chong with a bit of Young Frankenstein stirred in.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
Daryl wrote:Okay, I won't. (At least not until I watch it.)
Do. (Watch the movie, that is.) It's Monty Python meets Cheech and Chong with a bit of Young Frankenstein stirred in.
That's frankenSTEEN!
Daryl...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Having never seen it, I just ordered it on Amazon. It will be here in 2 weeks, I picked free shipping and I am not a prime member. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
gudulitooo

Post by gudulitooo »

What makes a skirt manly v feminine ?

The legs underneath.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I couldn't wear a skirt with frills and flowers, that just wouldn't be masculine. I'm fine with many fabrics but NOT flowers, I grow those in the garden.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

hairy wrote:I couldn't wear a skirt with frills and flowers, that just wouldn't be masculine. I'm fine with many fabrics but NOT flowers, I grow those in the garden.
I dispute this.

I just ordered a black skirt with a floral design on it. I've had floral skirts in the past. Flowers are not a problem on a skirt any more than they are on an Hawaiian shirt. I also own skirts with tiers and lace trim on the tiers -- it that doesn't count as "frills" then likely nothing does.

It's all down to attitude and bearing. (Size and facial hair help as well.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

crfriend wrote:
hairy wrote:I couldn't wear a skirt with frills and flowers, that just wouldn't be masculine. I'm fine with many fabrics but NOT flowers, I grow those in the garden.
I dispute this.

I just ordered a black skirt with a floral design on it. I've had floral skirts in the past. Flowers are not a problem on a skirt any more than they are on an Hawaiian shirt. I also own skirts with tiers and lace trim on the tiers -- it that doesn't count as "frills" then likely nothing does.

It's all down to attitude and bearing. (Size and facial hair help as well.)
Ha, the last time I wore a flower shirt was as a teenager in the 60s 70s flower power years. Its much the same with the colour red on me, that just does not suite me. Anyone want to wear flower's that's fine by me, do what you wanna do, as the late Chuck Berry would have said, its a free world.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

sl893 wrote:Hey All

What makes a skirt masculine/manly v feminine?

Scott
A skirt is only 'masculine' or 'feminine' in the eyes of the viewer. How they see that will depend upon their cultural references, gender and age as well as your age, build etc. The same skirt will probably be perceived differently if you were wearing it in a night club, walking past a building site or on a tropical beach.

How 'masculine' or 'feminine' is this outfit?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

SkirtsDad wrote:
A skirt is only 'masculine' or 'feminine' in the eyes of the viewer. How they see that will depend upon their cultural references, gender and age as well as your age, build etc. The same skirt will probably be perceived differently if you were wearing it in a night club, walking past a building site or on a tropical beach.
Quite definitive, I think.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

denimini wrote:
SkirtsDad wrote:
Quite definitive, I think.
Yes, definitive. But the 64 billion dollar question is still "does it matter?" It's mattering less and less to me every day. I am conscious of wanting to wear more feminine outfits some days and more masculine outfits other days. I find the gendered aesthetic distinction useful to that extent but only to that extent. Helps keep my closet organised. :mrgreen:
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

SkirtsDad wrote:
sl893 wrote:Hey All

What makes a skirt masculine/manly v feminine?

Scott

How 'masculine' or 'feminine' is this outfit?
What outfit? :shock:
Daryl...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Ok guys I have to confess all of the pictures I have been sending over the last year are all photo shopped phonies This is actually the real me It was taken on my last vacation in the tropics
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

oldsalt1 wrote:Ok guys I have to confess all of the pictures I have been sending over the last year are all photo shopped phonies This is actually the real me It was taken on my last vacation in the tropics
:shock: :shock: :shock:
*looks for a chair and sits down in pencil skirt*

I cannot see the picture, oldsalt... regardless I love your very formal business outfits which have inspired me. I did worry about the VGA style resolution, but loved the pics anyway :D
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

That's really me The one right above with the red towel and the bananas
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttttttt..................................