What makes a skirt manly v feminine

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby pelmut » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:59 pm

It is wonderful that transition is becoming easier for the kids of today (at least, in some places); forcing them to conform to the false concept of binary gender determined by their apparent sex, in order to fit in with the mistaken ideas of society, was nothing less than abuse. In her cartoons, Sophie Labelle has used humour to condemn the way some transgender children are still mistreated and misunderstood:
http://assignedmale.tumblr.com/post/160056630302/did-i-ever-tell-you-that-i-went-through-extensive

Looking back on my life, long before I first wore a skirt (and that is a long way back) I can see the signs that I have aways been transgender to some extent - but I had no idea what those signs meant, even when a colleague transitioned. Thank goodness I did not suffer from full-blown dysphoria, I doubt if I would be here now if that had happened. I still say I am 'a man in a skirt', but if someone mistakes me for a woman because they think my skirt looks feminine I am quite happy about it and do not make any attempt to correct them.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am
Location: Somerset, England

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby GerdG » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:01 am

DonP wrote:
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Good grief Grok and s1893,

I very much care what others think when I am out in public wearing a skirt. I don't want to be considered a freak or an eccentric. I don't even want to be noticed. I would love to see at least one other man in a skirt and preferably, many others.


Me too. That's exactly how I feel it.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
User avatar
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:16 pm
Location: DK

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby Daryl » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:39 pm

pelmut wrote:
Daryl wrote: Suicides happen post-op too, and some would argue that treatment of gender dysphoria that does NOT involve "transition" is as or more effective at preventing suicide and promoting emotional health.

That has been thoroughly discredited - and the professionals who promoted it (in the face of all the evidence to the contrary) are no longer practicing. Unfortunately it is still being quoted as 'fact' by a few people who value their own agendas above human lives.


Personally, I'm satisfied that proper diagnosis according to the best available science justifies transition. I am sceptical of attempts by some to skirt that, or wear away at the ethical edges (eg. should children ever have puberty delayed chemically because they feel like they want to transition), but basically I support it. One transwoman I know committed suicide mid-transition. She was trying to transition back to male (after partial surgery). I don't know if it was her financial inability to complete transition or doubt about it being what she really wanted that drove her to suicide, but in either case it speaks to us all being very deliberate and careful, and scientific, not merely making policy by means of popular demand. That public discussion of trans issues has seemingly been pre-empted by pronoun wars, is bound to make even more people sceptical. That's a terrible shame.

BTW, global warming has been "thoroughly discredited" too. Even evolution has been.
Daryl - View my slideshow and take my skirt-men questionnaire at https://goo.gl/vwnNRO

View questionnaire results summary (10 respondents).
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby Daryl » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:02 pm

pelmut wrote:It is wonderful that transition is becoming easier for the kids of today (at least, in some places); forcing them to conform to the false concept of binary gender determined by their apparent sex, in order to fit in with the mistaken ideas of society, was nothing less than abuse. In her cartoons, Sophie Labelle has used humour to condemn the way some transgender children are still mistreated and misunderstood:
http://assignedmale.tumblr.com/post/160056630302/did-i-ever-tell-you-that-i-went-through-extensive

Looking back on my life, long before I first wore a skirt (and that is a long way back) I can see the signs that I have aways been transgender to some extent - but I had no idea what those signs meant, even when a colleague transitioned. Thank goodness I did not suffer from full-blown dysphoria, I doubt if I would be here now if that had happened. I still say I am 'a man in a skirt', but if someone mistakes me for a woman because they think my skirt looks feminine I am quite happy about it and do not make any attempt to correct them.


That's me. If someone asks (and it's only happened once, I think) I tell them I'm male, but if someone were to honestly mistake me for female, I might not even correct it. For one, I wouldn't want to embarrass that person over such a trivial thing, and two, variety is the spice of life. Being addressed and referred to in the feminine would be like a temporary change of scenery, nothing more significant than that.

I think such a project beyond us, but ideally I'd like to see gender references be understood as not only completely subjective but as polite associative compliments. For example, the maitre'd looks at my pretty circle skirt and says "right this way ma'am", but the waitress then looks at my muscular forearms and calls me "sir".
Daryl - View my slideshow and take my skirt-men questionnaire at https://goo.gl/vwnNRO

View questionnaire results summary (10 respondents).
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby PBDude » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:26 am

Hi I bought a skirt from skirtcraft.com. Skirts made for men. It fits perfect around the waste because it is designed for men. It has big belt loops snd cargo pockets in the front and the side. And its not tight around the legs so it does not restrict your stride when you walk. They look like a classic chino.

The point is that it is a manly skirt because it is cut for a man and has the features a man needs. 8)

PBDude Palm Beach Florida
PBDude 8)
PBDude
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:34 am
Location: USA Florida

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby Daryl » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:54 am

PBDude wrote:Hi I bought a skirt from skirtcraft.com. Skirts made for men. It fits perfect around the waste because it is designed for men. It has big belt loops snd cargo pockets in the front and the side. And its not tight around the legs so it does not restrict your stride when you walk. They look like a classic chino.

The point is that it is a manly skirt because it is cut for a man and has the features a man needs. 8)

PBDude Palm Beach Florida


Like a chino...you mean it looks like jeans?

How about length? Are you tall? After discovering that Utilikilts are all too short for me, I am very hesitant to lay down large coin for something that I'll never wear again, like I did with those.
Daryl - View my slideshow and take my skirt-men questionnaire at https://goo.gl/vwnNRO

View questionnaire results summary (10 respondents).
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby PBDude » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:40 am

Daryl wrote:
PBDude wrote:Hi I bought a skirt from skirtcraft.com. Skirts made for men. It fits perfect around the waste because it is designed for men. It has big belt loops snd cargo pockets in the front and the side. And its not tight around the legs so it does not restrict your stride when you walk. They look like a classic chino.

The point is that it is a manly skirt because it is cut for a man and has the features a man needs. 8)

PBDude Palm Beach Florida


Like a chino...you mean it looks like jeans?

How about length? Are you tall? After discovering that Utilikilts are all too short for me, I am very hesitant to lay down large coin for something that I'll never wear again, like I did with those.




Hi Daryl,
Chino is nicer than jeans. But just as strong. Some call them Dockers. Nice enough to wear to work or business casual. I am 6 foot and the skirt falls at my knees, it is 22 incheches. If you go to the link section on this sight you can find their web site. I found it was cut a lttle big and took one size smaller then I get for pants.
PBDude 8)
PBDude
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:34 am
Location: USA Florida

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby PBDude » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:45 am

Daryl wrote:
PBDude wrote:Hi I bought a skirt from skirtcraft.com. Skirts made for men. It fits perfect around the waste because it is designed for men. It has big belt loops snd cargo pockets in the front and the side. And its not tight around the legs so it does not restrict your stride when you walk. They look like a classic chino.

The point is that it is a manly skirt because it is cut for a man and has the features a man needs. 8)

PBDude Palm Beach Florida


Like a chino...you mean it looks like jeans?

How about length? Are you tall? After discovering that Utilikilts are all too short for me, I am very hesitant to lay down large coin for something that I'll never wear again, like I did with those.


Hi Daryl,
Chino is nicer than jeans. But just as strong. Some call them Dockers. Nice enough to wear to work or business casual. I am 6 foot and the skirt falls at my knees, it is 22 incheches. If you go to the link section on this sight you can find their web site. I found it was cut a lttle big and took one size smaller then I get for pants.

PBDude 8)
PBDude
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:34 am
Location: USA Florida

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:05 pm

BTW, global warming has been "thoroughly discredited" too. Even evolution has been.


Daryl, both assertions seem to be incorrect, according to the vast body of science. A debate on both issues is not for this thread - perhaps "Off Topic" - but I couldn't let your statement stand unchallenged. Hope you understand.

Ray
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: Derbyshire, UK

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby Daryl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:12 pm

Ray wrote:
BTW, global warming has been "thoroughly discredited" too. Even evolution has been.


Daryl, both assertions seem to be incorrect, according to the vast body of science. A debate on both issues is not for this thread - perhaps "Off Topic" - but I couldn't let your statement stand unchallenged. Hope you understand.

Ray


They are incorrect; no "seem" about it. I guess I was being a bit oblique, but I was pointing out the lack of meaning in the phrase "throughly discredited", which I see as a rhetorical tactic and nothing else. It always begs the question "discredited by whom" and then down the rabbit hole we go. (Okay, maybe I was being very oblique.)
Daryl - View my slideshow and take my skirt-men questionnaire at https://goo.gl/vwnNRO

View questionnaire results summary (10 respondents).
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby Daryl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:18 pm

PBDude wrote:
Daryl wrote:
PBDude wrote:Hi I bought a skirt from skirtcraft.com. Skirts made for men. It fits perfect around the waste because it is designed for men. It has big belt loops snd cargo pockets in the front and the side. And its not tight around the legs so it does not restrict your stride when you walk. They look like a classic chino.

The point is that it is a manly skirt because it is cut for a man and has the features a man needs. 8)

PBDude Palm Beach Florida


Like a chino...you mean it looks like jeans?

How about length? Are you tall? After discovering that Utilikilts are all too short for me, I am very hesitant to lay down large coin for something that I'll never wear again, like I did with those.


Hi Daryl,
Chino is nicer than jeans. But just as strong. Some call them Dockers. Nice enough to wear to work or business casual. I am 6 foot and the skirt falls at my knees, it is 22 incheches. If you go to the link section on this sight you can find their web site. I found it was cut a lttle big and took one size smaller then I get for pants.


I guess it's just where we consider our waists to be then. I bought 24 inch utilikilts and they are both at least 2 inches too short. I am 6'1".

I have been to the Skirtcraft site and recall something about them eventually offering longer versions. I guess I was just hopeful your experience meant they had, or that they were longer than advertised. Hmm, when you say they are 22 inches long, is that you measuring your skirt or is it just what they told you it is?
Daryl - View my slideshow and take my skirt-men questionnaire at https://goo.gl/vwnNRO

View questionnaire results summary (10 respondents).
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Daryl, thanks for the explanation. The original was indeed too oblique for me!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: Derbyshire, UK

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby Daryl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:34 pm

Ray wrote:Daryl, thanks for the explanation. The original was indeed too oblique for me!


I'll try to be more acute in the future! :mrgreen:
Daryl - View my slideshow and take my skirt-men questionnaire at https://goo.gl/vwnNRO

View questionnaire results summary (10 respondents).
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby crfriend » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Daryl wrote:I'll try to be more acute in the future! :mrgreen:

Do not make me invoke lines from the movie Yellowbeard...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 8584
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Postby Daryl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:40 pm

crfriend wrote:
Daryl wrote:I'll try to be more acute in the future! :mrgreen:

Do not make me invoke lines from the movie Yellowbeard...


Okay, I won't. (At least not until I watch it.)
Daryl - View my slideshow and take my skirt-men questionnaire at https://goo.gl/vwnNRO

View questionnaire results summary (10 respondents).
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto

PreviousNext

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest