What makes a skirt manly v feminine

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What makes a skirt manly v feminine

Post by moonshadow »

I suppose the only true "masculine" skirt would be the kilt.
denimini wrote:Feminine:
Bright and cheerful
Light and floaty material (yay what fun)
Small or fake pockets ***[0](damn)
No belt loops (assuming a small waist and large hips)
Frills, ruffles and kick pleats
Flared hem
Side or rear fastening
Length just below crotch to just above floor

For bravery you get 20% for wearing a skirt in the first place and an extra 10% for each of the items in the second list
I'll have what she's having! :lol:

I save my boring (manly man) stuff for when Mom comes over... :roll:

***[0] A problem easily solved with a pocket book (purse)! Better for your posture too! :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

r.m.anderson wrote:
crfriend wrote:
oldsalt 1 wrote:A lot of my skirts have front fly zippers. They are much easier to work when you are putting the skirts on. But other than that I don't understand why you would need a fly in the first place.
Once in the skirt, it's always a matter of a lift -- and most of mine are long and loose enough so I'm not showing anything off from astern when standing[/b].
As for the matter of the LIFT I have not read or heard of that term -
I understand "lift" to mean what a male does with the hem at a urinal - easier than undoing a zipper fly
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Anthony has it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sl893

Post by sl893 »

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and discussion.

It's great to hear that by and large everyone on here is of the frame of mind that if you like it and it feels right then go with it. It's your choice to do what makes you happy/comfortable, irrespective of what society may deem one way or the other.

I was more looking at it from the standpoint that if we want to make a massive change in the way skirts can be worn mainstream, and viewed by everyone in society, it may potentially be easier to start with getting as many men wearing as masculine skirts as possible, as this would be easier for society to accept initially, then as society comes around to the idea and is more used to seeing this in their everyday lives, and it then comes across as 'normal', then start to push the boundaries with the more feminine styles etc.

So with this in mind was looking to see what everyone thought was masculine, finding a way to focus on that and figure out a way to make some noise about it.

Was thinking at it from the way women first started to wear pants, with distinctively feminine characteristics, always with a side zip instead of a front fly, always frilly and with flower patterns on them, then eventually once society was comfortable with it they adapted all the masculine features such that now a pair of jeans today would be almost identical regardless of gender.

It seems to me that there is also a massive acceptance of Kilts already, in that there are loads of men more than happy to wear a kilt out and about, but if they get heckled for wearing a skirt they argue adamantly, i'm not wearing a skirt, its a kilt. Adding to the perception of masculinity associated with this particular style of MUG, even though it is very similar to many other styles of skirt
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

sl893 wrote:It's great to hear that by and large everyone on here is of the frame of mind that if you like it and it feels right then go with it. It's your choice to do what makes you happy/comfortable, irrespective of what society may deem one way or the other.
In play here is that adopting what are considered "feminine" styles can be fraught with peril and one needs to be entirely comfortable -- in all meanings of the word -- when doing so. Comfort engenders confidence, and confidence is what shows well to the world. Dogs, it is said, can smell fear -- well humans can, too, albeit not as finely; if I guy is unconventionally dressed for his surroundings he'd better be confident in what he's doing else people will think poorly of him.
I was more looking at it from the standpoint that if we want to make a massive change in the way skirts can be worn mainstream, and viewed by everyone in society, it may potentially be easier to start with getting as many men wearing as masculine skirts as possible, as this would be easier for society to accept initially, then as society comes around to the idea and is more used to seeing this in their everyday lives, and it then comes across as 'normal', then start to push the boundaries with the more feminine styles etc.
I remain unconvinced that's necessary or even desired. In the US, certainly, and likely elsewhere, masculinity has fallen into strong disfavour and men in the modern world are little more than sperm-donors, wallets, and should-be prisoners. The only time the notion really enters is when women want to purloin styles that have been historically masculine in the past couple of hundred years. Recall that it was barbarians on horseback that first introduced trousers and that pretty much did for the toga and the tunic. The decay continued over the centuries and the last nail was really driven into the coffin of single-tube and overtly fancy garments for men by the French Revolution. Smocks and the like were the last vestiges of the earlier time.

So, with overt masculinity being reviled by (what passes for) modern society, adhering to the notion makes little sense; you're going to catch stick for it anyway, so why not come up with a particular style you're happy with and cultivate that. There are a few here who do that and could be regarded as grand-masters of it. JeffB and ChrisM come to mind for producing some very good looks. Some folks produce edgy looks and some produce very conservative staid looks -- and I believe this should be regarded as healthy expression.
Was thinking at it from the way women first started to wear pants, with distinctively feminine characteristics, always with a side zip instead of a front fly, always frilly and with flower patterns on them, then eventually once society was comfortable with it they adapted all the masculine features such that now a pair of jeans today would be almost identical regardless of gender.
Side-zip frilly trousers for women only stated to show up in the 1970s after trousers had already been firmly entrenched as an option -- and women did it for the same reason that us lot are rebelling: trousers only, with boring cuts and patterns, and stiff scratchy fabrics got to be an intolerable drag. Out of curiosity, when was the last time anybody here saw a woman in a pair of fancy trousers with a column of blossoms running up one leg? My guess is decades ago.
It seems to me that there is also a massive acceptance of Kilts already, in that there are loads of men more than happy to wear a kilt out and about, but if they get heckled for wearing a skirt they argue adamantly, i'm not wearing a skirt, its a kilt. Adding to the perception of masculinity associated with this particular style of MUG, even though it is very similar to many other styles of skirt
Kilts get a pass in this regard as they're universally recognised as menswear thanks to the (hard-headed, thankfully) Scots contingent. But kilted skirts abound, and sometimes it takes a watchful eye to properly know the differences. (Even Richard Branson managed to commit a faux-pas by donning one with the pleats in front (until someone told him better).) But the kilt, as a piece of formal regalia suffers from the same problems as "traditional" western monkey-suits -- too many rules, regulations, and restrictions. Should we not look to liberate ourselves from such silliness?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I agree with Carl in that for the foreseeable future mainstream acceptance, particularly by men, of the male skirt just won't happen. And few of us have the wide infamy and news-appeal to really catch the unwashed's attention. Admittedly there are a star or two that dabble in skirts and Jaden Smith is probably the most famous example. So, apart from the kilt and possibly the faithful denim skirt anything else just doesn't have that true hairy, testosterone-fuelled man-appeal. Far better to decide on what you like, what suits your body type and personality and just don it, apply suitable accessories and appendages and get out there to try an influence your locale. Skirtcraft and a few others are doing their bit but there are no signs of a major fashion retailer jumping on the bandwagon. I admire your interest and don't want to dampen it abut I don't want to be in the "those who say it can't be done get out of the way of those doing it" camp.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Yes, I must agree with Sinned regarding the foreseeable future. A small number of enthusiasts switch to one pipe, but the vast majority won't.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I don't believe I wrote anything that might presume that acceptance might not be achievable in the foreseeable future; I fervently hope that it can be. Our own experiences here, save for the reactions of significant others and immediate family indicate that direction pretty clearly: very few seem to give a whit and those who do can be discounted as outliers. It's those close in that remain the toughest nut to crack.

How things may go for the single male who dares to wear skirts and who it interested (perhaps stupidly) in a relationship remains to be seen, but I'm in that camp and will publish when and if appropriate.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

crfriend wrote:I remain unconvinced that's necessary or even desired. In the US, certainly, and likely elsewhere, masculinity has fallen into strong disfavour and men in the modern world are little more than sperm-donors, wallets, and should-be prisoners. The only time the notion really enters is when women want to purloin styles that have been historically masculine in the past couple of hundred years. Recall that it was barbarians on horseback that first introduced trousers and that pretty much did for the toga and the tunic. The decay continued over the centuries and the last nail was really driven into the coffin of single-tube and overtly fancy garments for men by the French Revolution. Smocks and the like were the last vestiges of the earlier time.
Don't forget the heels, they came also along with previous migrations

Side-zip frilly trousers for women only stated to show up in the 1970s after trousers had already been firmly entrenched as an option -- and women did it for the same reason that us lot are rebelling: trousers only, with boring cuts and patterns, and stiff scratchy fabrics got to be an intolerable drag. Out of curiosity, when was the last time anybody here saw a woman in a pair of fancy trousers with a column of blossoms running up one leg? My guess is decades ago.

No, just this weekend.

getting men to wear skirts is not only a change of mind needed by the men, but also of their partners as many women are buying clothing for their husbands. And, in general, as women are capable of borrowing clothes from their husband, they will not let such happen in the other direction (save that most men are larger than women which poses a problem with the sizing).
Last edited by crfriend on Tue May 30, 2017 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gusto10 wrote:
crfriend wrote:Out of curiosity, when was the last time anybody here saw a woman in a pair of fancy trousers with a column of blossoms running up one leg? My guess is decades ago.

No, just this weekend.
It sounds like you live in a more aesthetically pleasing place than I. Where is it? Next train out!
getting men to wear skirts is not only a change of mind needed by the men, but also of their partners as many women are buying clothing for their husbands. And, in general, as women are capable of borrowing clothes from their husband, they will not let such happen in the other direction (save that most men are larger than women which poses a problem with the sizing).
Anecdotally, womenfolk seem to be OK with the notion so long as it's any guy but theirs, and that's the nut that needs cracking. The collective mind there is at least partially open.

On the whole, I don't think the average guy ever even really contemplates the fact that he's got options that don't include jeans, khakis, or baggy-shorts; unless nudged, that's not likely to change which is why it's important for those who not only contemplate the notion but execute on it to be seen in public.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

CRFriend, better take a boat to the old world.

As to whether the average man has a choice, I doubt he even knows he has a choice as the average man's wife or mom buys his clothes.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, yes in my experience the "any guy but mine" situation seems to reflect the views of the adult female members of my family. Nothing is said to me if I wear a skirt in their presence although family have refused to eat with me on holiday abroad if I was wearing a skirt. A sarong, worn folded lengthways so that it ends at knee-length is tolerated. It really hurt at the time especially as I could see them across the restaurant and wondered how they could treat me that way but I can't just shun them as they are close family, live within walking distance and I see them often. I suspect that they are/were trying to please MOH who is definitely the more dominant in our partnership. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
DonP

Post by DonP »

sl893 wrote:Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and discussion.

It's great to hear that by and large everyone on here is of the frame of mind that if you like it and it feels right then go with it. It's your choice to do what makes you happy/comfortable, irrespective of what society may deem one way or the other.

I agree. I want other men to see me wearing a skirt and think "that is a good look, it looks comfortable, and I would like to wear that myself ". I know most people are polite and, regardless of what they are thinking, would never speak out and criticize another person's attire. I wear kilts because they are accepted as male clothing. I might wear a skirt if it resembled something that I would normally wear; like jeans or cargo pants or shorts. Subdued colors and no flowers or designs. I want to look like a man in a skirt, not a man dressed like a woman. Many will disagree. That's my opinion.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:When I shop for skirts with an associate is helping me, I tell them I am looking for a "masculine" skirt, meaning it blends in as resembling shorts. I bought a skirt recently I would describe as olive drab or army green. It has an elastic waist and sufficient front pockets. I like to put my keys in a pocket when I am out and about. I don't get noticed and feel like I am getting away with something. I like hiking and walking on trails and photography. I am either in the desert or the mountains. All of my skirts are above the knees, which is also the way I like shorts. Sometimes I buy longer skirts and have them shortened. The most recent skirt was the right length, but was a skort, which defeats the purpose, so I removed the inner shorts. I like the freedom, comfort, and ventilation of a skirt.

This is the time of the year that I find more skirts in stores, so this is when I do the most shopping for them.

That is my definition of "masculine skirt."
Not all people but a lot think or see a skirt and think woman, girl, female, lady, woman.
Trousers: guy, boy, man, joe, dude.
My wife adheres to this viewpoint. Any skirt is a skirt no matter how masculine you make it. It can have chains, studs, leather, shrunken heads, ground in coal dust, blood. Its still a skirt, skirts are for women.

My view point: if you put a tartan kilt next to a plain denim skirt.
The kilt to me seems less masculine than the denim sikrt.
The kilt with its multitude of pleats and fancy muticolor setts (dare I say it) appears feminine, more so than a denim skirt.
When my wife is a way I do all of the dirty house work in a denim skirt. If it gets
dirty,torn or stained it can easily be cleaned, or cheaply be replaced.
The way to wedge male skirts into main stream is via the kilt, mod kilts and plain denim skirts.
For a while we will be seen as odd outsiders, guy in a girls skirt. To oh its another guy in a skirt.
Then eventually just like the first women in trousers after awhile. It will be a non issue.

here is a mash up idea, If one wears a sporran with a skirt, does it. Make it a kilt?

Mishawakakilt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Historically-and until quite recently-open ended garments have been associated almost exclusively with females. Kilts were one of the very few exceptions.

On other threads it has been suggested that denim skirts will be the next garment that will be popularized for men.