Cognitive Dissonance

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Cognitive Dissonance

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:[...] Tonight she was surprised to see me in pants and said, "Gee, is it winter coming that you are wearing pants".
This is precisely what happens when someone who has always seen -- and accepted -- a guy who wears skirts most of the time wearing trousers for the first time. One would think it wouldn't bother them to the point of comment because we all know that guys don't wear skirts [0], but there it is. Sometimes cognitive dissonance happens entirely contrary to expectation.

There are quite a few folks around who have never, or at least only very occasionally, seen me in trousers. I like it that way; it gives me great latitude.

[0] If the reader detected a hint of sarcasm in that remark, good.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Big and Bashful wrote:I suppose that we all have our boundaries
Yes of course, and as I am exposed to anime where feminine boys are common, I don't find males in frilly dresses that "weird". The picture below (which I have previously posted in this thread) is of a man wearing a Gothic Lolita dress costume of Alto Saotome as seen in the movie Macross Frontier: Wings of Goodbye:
Alto wearing that dress in the movie:
らき☆
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...To me, this PROVES that men in skirts and dresses, even feminine ones can indeed become as second nature as a woman in a pair of cargo pants, it simply has to be normalized...
Kind of a tautology, but yes.

Or what do you mean by, "normalized?"
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Caultron wrote:
moonshadow wrote:...To me, this PROVES that men in skirts and dresses, even feminine ones can indeed become as second nature as a woman in a pair of cargo pants, it simply has to be normalized...
Kind of a tautology, but yes.

Or what do you mean by, "normalized?"
To become second nature is the destination, the goal. To normalize is the journey there. Every time we wear skirts and dresses out in the public eye, we take another step towards that end. :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: book

Post by Grok »

David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. Quoting:

"Innovators have to open. They have to be able to imagine things that others cannot and be willing to challenge their own preconceptions....They are willing to take social risks-to do things that others might disapprove of".

The author quotes playwright George Bernard Shaw-" 'The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.' "

So we should expect innovators to be generators of cognitive dissonance.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Cg, Dissonance or no, I wouldn't look forward to the day when significant numbers of blokes crossdressed up all Goth like that.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:[...] I wouldn't look forward to the day when significant numbers of blokes crossdressed up all Goth like that.
My suspicion is that cosplay will always remain discrete from day-to-day styles. Whilst it must be fun (else nobody would do it) on occasion, I can't see going to work in such a rig.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:My suspicion is that cosplay will always remain discrete from day-to-day styles. Whilst it must be fun (else nobody would do it) on occasion, I can't see going to work in such a rig.
The military look, camo and olive jackets and cargo pants, began in army surplus stores and was as near a cosplay phenomenon as could be at first, with war movies and movies with characters who were vets still wearing their fatigues in civilian life. People who dressed in those army surplus clothes weren't playing at being veterans, but they were consciously leveraging the look, a bit of costume play in fashion. The aesthetic took hold by familiarity, and now it is a staple.

Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath ushered in the era of horror, evil, dark mystery style that later became a club look then a mainstream fashion known as "goth". The line between "play" and fashion is pretty blurry there too. Punk overlapped with that heavily.

Cosplay is mimicry of entertainment characters. People rarely try to make their goth statements as extreme as Alice Cooper's stage makeup in daily life, but the connection can't be denied. I think the cosplay we're seeing today will, as you say, remain discrete from day-to-day styles, but this doesn't mean it won't affect them. In fact I think it already is. I mean, I can't explain people with purple and blue hair behind the counter at government offices any other way.
Daryl...