Does adding belt/loops distract from neat appearance.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mikel

Does adding belt/loops distract from neat appearance.

Post by mikel »

I have found that it becomes necessary for me to adjust my skirt since my waist expands and contracts. I also found that on some skirts that unless I hike it above my natural waist line I will have a ripple of skirt fabric below my belly. I like to have a smooth flow of fabric from the skirts waist to hem. If my skirt doesn't come with belt loops, I usually bring it to a tailor to add just so I can a belt and adjust where I place the skirt waist on my frame.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Does adding belt/loops distract from neat appearance.

Post by Darryl »

I don't think so, if done properly. And likely not on my crochet skirt (but it comes with an elastic waist).

So...I intend to put 4 to 5 belt loops on some fixed-waist skirts to buy a little more time with them, assuming I succeed in losing weight. Once they start looking 'baggy' then they go to GoodWill or the like.

On the elastic waist skirts, my mom would tack on some additional elastic on the inside, rather than replacing the elastic waistband. I may try this to see how it works, in a similar manner to the belt loops above.

If I can extend the current wardrobe 6 to 12 months I should be at or near goal and can begin doing the wardrobe refresh thing. We shall see.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I don't think that adding belt loops will distract from a neat appearance unless they are installed haphazardly in placement
and in awkward contrasting color.
Jean denim leather cargo skirts would pose not much of an aesthetic problem but on a pencil skirt what are you thinking.
Kilts have belt loops usually 2 or 3 in the rear and with a well fitting kilt the belt is worn more or less for show and tell the
belt loops being used to secure the spooran chain from drooping. The 2 or 3 hip straps are what really holds the kilt in place.
A skirt with a zipper closing be it front side or back is normally fitted to the exact waist requiring no elastic assist - HOWEVER
for some of the skirted folk here adding a bit of elastic just makes skirt wearing a great deal more forgiving and comfortable

An elastic waist all around would not be too bad but for the best effect the only the rear of the waist should be stretchable.
This would keep the front of the skirt in a flat plane.
If the waist still presents fitting problems then the flat plane probably is not the way to go - think of all around pleats.

Another solution to consider is a wide elastic belt reference Ebay item:

2017 Women's Fashion Metal Buckle Belts Stretch Waistbands Wide Belts 4 Colors (252801685458)

These belts come in various widths and stretchable lengths and have a fancy belt buckle closing (see similar items).

If you have belt loops just remember to have the elastic belt be able to fit thru the loops.
Without the belt loops this elastic belt still could be used but may not stay in place.
Still yet under tension a loose skirt should be held in place with little or no adjustments made.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

I think it depends on the style of skirt. I added loops to my El Commando kilts over the top of the captive original belt. I wanted somewhere to hang phone and Leatherman. It looks like they belong. To get matching material I shortened the hem on one. The shorter length is great for hill hiking. It doesn't drag on my knees.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

mikel wrote:I have found that it becomes necessary for me to adjust my skirt since my waist expands and contracts. I also found that on some skirts that unless I hike it above my natural waist line I will have a ripple of skirt fabric below my belly. I like to have a smooth flow of fabric from the skirts waist to hem. If my skirt doesn't come with belt loops, I usually bring it to a tailor to add just so I can a belt and adjust where I place the skirt waist on my frame.
I make all my own skirts and always put 8 belt loops on them. I use the fabric the skirts are made with so they really disappear if I wear the skirt without a belt, and they look right when I use a belt. Aesthetically, the belt is a masculine fashion cliche so it helps make my skirts not look like I am simply wanting to look feminine, while also serving their practical function. Women's belts are mostly decorative since women's bodies include substantial hips that prevent fitted skirts from lowering due to gravity, and women rarely load any weight in pockets. My need for gravity-countering action in skirts is not very great since I wear my skirts around my waist not my hips, and they are mostly well fitted to me, but it's needed sometimes so I never make a skirt without anticipating a belt. Even my skirts that zip up the back have belt loops.

Like you I like to be able to adjust my skirt up or down as needed. This is something a skirt can do, especially on a man's frame. I would say the range is probably 4 to 6 inches, with skirts that are long enough, so it's really an advantage to have a waist that is not too closely fitted but rather possible to control with a belt. Pants really don't have that leeway, and it's something I really appreciate about skirts. Especially around Thanksgiving. I can't believe this never made it to my list of skirt superpowers...I will have to correct that in future versions!
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Taj wrote:I think it depends on the style of skirt. I added loops to my El Commando kilts over the top of the captive original belt. I wanted somewhere to hang phone and Leatherman. It looks like they belong. To get matching material I shortened the hem on one. The shorter length is great for hill hiking. It doesn't drag on my knees.
Yeah, hanging stuff from a belt is a decided advantage. Quite often I will make a simple cellphone pouch to hang from a belt using the fabric I make a skirt with. I also sometimes make chatelaines (of sorts) to hang keys, memory sticks or small tools from, using the same fabric.
Daryl...