Will I still wear short skirts when I'm VERY old

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Will I still wear short skirts when I'm VERY old

Post by hairy »

I can't help but keep on thinking about what I'll be wearing when I get really old. Things are OK at the moment but I wonder if there's any old men sitting around in old folks homes wearing a skirt. What will it be like when my balance goes and start falling over. Think about it! has anyone ever seen a man of 90 years old wearing a skirt?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Will I still wear short skirts when I'm VERY old

Post by Caultron »

Do hospital gowns count?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Interesting question, Hairy.

I thought groundsmen/gardeners never retired, the nature of the job being that in a garden there's always something to look forward to. My mother-in-law tended her large garden in Surrey until she died in her chair looking out at it with two dogs at her feet at age 86. (The same day the Queen Mother died). She gardened in a skirt right up to the end.

Why not? Depends on circumstances. If you have the approval/acquiescence of those you live with and you can dress yourself without having to be dressed by someone else, then why not! I expect that by then knobbly knees will be covered by something long, but not long enough to trip over.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I attended a community gathering today and saw an old farmer there wearing shorts well above the knee, he has been unwell for a long time and his legs were very spindly, but he was sitting there quite unselfconscious - could easily have been in a short skirt. I think the older one gets, the less one worries about the thoughts of others.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Kirbstone wrote:Interesting question, Hairy.

I thought groundsmen/gardeners never retired, the nature of the job being that in a garden there's always something to look forward to. My mother-in-law tended her large garden in Surrey until she died in her chair looking out at it with two dogs at her feet at age 86. (The same day the Queen Mother died). She gardened in a skirt right up to the end.

Why not? Depends on circumstances. If you have the approval/acquiescence of those you live with and you can dress yourself without having to be dressed by someone else, then why not! I expect that by then knobbly knees will be covered by something long, but not long enough to trip over.

Tom
Caultron wrote:Do hospital gowns count?
That's another thing, hospital gowns. They are skirtish in shape, but what would nursing staff ect say if a man wanted to wear a skirt while having to stay in hospital?
Gardner/groundsman do sadly sometimes have to retire. Due to too much heavy work over the years I now have a very painfull back problem so sometimes can not even lift a bag of compost now. I don't think it will be long before I'm a skirted EX gardener with a zimmer frame.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I had to go into hospital for a proceedure - never been in before and asked what I should wear, the lady said something loose, comfortable and easy to get in and out of - sounded like a skirt to me so that is what I wore. I was issued a gown as soon as I got there so I suppose that was the point of easy getting out of.

I think it will be easier to wear miniskirts when very old as people will think I have lost the plot anyway.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

hairy wrote:[...]
That's another thing, hospital gowns. They are skirtish in shape, but what would nursing staff ect say if a man wanted to wear a skirt while having to stay in hospital?
I alway wear a skirt or kilt to hospital, it makes everything so much easier.
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 7&p=142664
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

when my parents had to be in a nursing home the preferred bottoms were sweatpants for both men and women. Easy for the staff to put on them.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Recently I went to the hospital kilted for some minor surgery. When it was time to go home, the nurse insisted on dressing me so I didn't pull on the incision. So there she was, snapping my utility kilt on me. I guess there's something new every day.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:Recently I went to the hospital kilted for some minor surgery. When it was time to go home, the nurse insisted on dressing me so I didn't pull on the incision. So there she was, snapping my utility kilt on me. I guess there's something new every day.
I finally reached the age where I am seeing a lot of the insides of medical facilities. I can definitely say that my lack of pants has never been an issue and has frequently been an advantage. I wear skirts and tops that work with whatever the activity will be. Eg. if it will be knee imaging it is a pleated skirt, if a chest x-ray, a top I can pull off easily and no belt, and so forth. Even for my stay at hospital a couple years ago I didn't even bring any pyjama pants, just wandered the halls in my robe and had a skirt and shirt ready for checkout.

SO, by the time I am VERY old, I have no doubt all my caregivers will have gotten the memo and not try to put pants on me. I've never worn short skirts anyway, so that won't be a problem.
Daryl...
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Pleats wrote:when my parents had to be in a nursing home the preferred bottoms were sweatpants for both men and women. Easy for the staff to put on them.
That ill be the problem than, them deciding what you will be wearing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Whilst I still have all my faculties I will be wearing short skirts. MOH has told me that I have the legs that suit short and that's good enough for me. Besides, I feel comfortable in them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Gusto10 wrote:
Pleats wrote:when my parents had to be in a nursing home the preferred bottoms were sweatpants for both men and women. Easy for the staff to put on them.
That ill be the problem than, them deciding what you will be wearing.
In most nursing homes and other similar facilities the uniform of the day is recommended and not mandatory. When I end up in one I will be wearing my skirts and no amount of pressure will make me change my mind. At least as long as I have a mind! :silenced:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote: In most nursing homes and other similar facilities the uniform of the day is recommended and not mandatory. When I end up in one I will be wearing my skirts and no amount of pressure will make me change my mind. At least as long as I have a mind! :silenced:
I suspect there is a reason that track pants are preferred or recommended, so the logical thing to do, it seems to me, is to stock up on track skirts in advance of senescence.
Daryl...