Feeling others eyes burning into you even on trouser days?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Feeling others eyes burning into you even on trouser days?

Post by moonshadow »

As I sat at a truck stop down on I81 in northeastern Tennessee with Jenn enjoying a late lunch, I was wearing trousers (full work uniform actually), and I made a remark to Jenn that I still have in the back of my head people are probably staring at me and laughing...

I think it was because Jenn was with me, and when we're together out and about, I'm normally wearing a skirt or dress.

It was kind of funny that my "shield" was up, despite being in complete "normal dress".

A group of three truckers was seated behind us and having a good laugh about something, but in all seriousness, it couldn't have been us.

So what's the lesson here?

Perhaps when we're out and about in skirts... maybe.. just maybe they're not laughing at us, but something else all together. We mustn't always assume.

Anyone else ever have this?

P.S... in regards to "American Food", I also recommend the Davey Crockett Restaurant located at the TA truck stop off exit 36 on interstate 81 in Tennessee, it was very good. Excellent buffet.

-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Feeling others eyes burning into you even on trouser day

Post by Kirbstone »

Food worth traveling 4000 miles to sample?

Never had that feeling about other peoples' eyes. I'm just not interesting enough.

TG the Spring is here in earnest and I can show my knees off all day. Skirted only when I walk the dogs, alas. I'll get a little unbifurcated time in after Easter when MOH will be away. Yipee!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Yes Moonshadow, I've experienced the same thing. Funny how the mind works. If you're not careful it can lead you down a very dark path. One can't believe everything one thinks.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Gordon wrote:Yes Moonshadow, I've experienced the same thing. Funny how the mind works. If you're not careful it can lead you down a very dark path. One can't believe everything one thinks.
A very dark path indeed. Which is one of the reasons I posted this little tidbit, to remind us that sometimes it's not as bad as we perceive it to be. Even if it is, then we must always strive to remain positive, lest we allow ourselves to become bitter.

I have my phases with that. Sometimes I can get pretty down on society, then I gradually seem to get my mojo back and I'm unstoppable. It seems to run in monthly phases.

I'm sure skirt cafe has witnessed "the Moon" in his various phases, and you can tell when I'm all sunshine and flowers vs when I want the world to die! :lol:

FWIW: I'm feeling pretty good this week.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kirbstone wrote:Food worth traveling 4000 miles to sample?
Well, I like to think you might find a few other things to do during your visit state side besides eat American truck stop food, but if you should book such a voyage, just don't bother with the fast food joints. Getcha some real food! Fast food makes America look bad, and takes the "A" out of "America" (it turns us into 'Merican's") :wink: :bom:

All that being said.... visiting a southern American truck stop in a skirt (if you're a man) is quite a unique experience! You'll find nerve you never knew you had, and once you've mastered this... the old lady[0] won't be such a big deal. :P

[0] Southern slang for "wife", also known among skirt cafe as "MOH".

Not to worry, they have a slang for us too, some call us "the old man", that's if we're lucky. Otherwise we might be known as "the baby's daddy", the latter may indicate that you are in jail and more than just a few payments behind on child support! :mrgreen: :twisted: :shock:

-MoonShadow (the product of a Long Islander (mom) crossed with a Southern hillbilly (dad)- a very interesting and unorthodox breed of human.) :wink: :!:
-Andrea
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well j/k, I've not been Stateside for nigh-on 10 years now & no doubt things have moved on since last I was there, as they have here. Just two years ago I was chalked down to fly to Boston with my fellow rowers to perform in the 'Charles head-of-the-River' and had secretly planned one evening to detach myself from them for a skirted rendezvous with C.R.Friend. Alas for reasons beyond my control I had to bow out and get a replacement for the crew.

We are overdue a visit to my bro.-in-law living in San Diego , but that would be with SWMBO and absolutely no skirts would be packed. That of course would take us briefly about 6 miles (straight up) from Tennissee but no nearer. With our domestic menagerie such a trip away would require very careful planning.

We never visit fast food joints. I was being facetious about your illustrated platter.

Depending on the time of year, from SD, it's possible to ski in the morning and swim in the sea in the afternoon, so that ought to keep us amused . Bro-on-law sails a yot, too. Another attraction.

The London Cockneys have perhaps the best name for 'the wife'..........Trouble and Strife, pronounced 'Trabbleanstroife'.

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Just two years ago I was chalked down to fly to Boston with my fellow rowers to perform in the 'Charles head-of-the-River' and had secretly planned one evening to detach myself from them for a skirted rendezvous with C.R.Friend.
That would have been fun, and I suspect I'd have been on one of the many bridges over the River Charles bellowing encouragement. But, such is life. Boston's a grand town, so if the opportunity again arises, recall that the first couple of rounds are on me.
The London Cockneys have perhaps the best name for 'the wife'..........Trouble and Strife, pronounced 'Trabbleanstroife'.
That, I need to remember -- just in case I ever get "involved" again.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kirbstone wrote:We are overdue a visit to my bro.-in-law living in San Diego , but that would be with SWMBO and absolutely no skirts would be packed. That of course would take us briefly about 6 miles (straight up) from Tennissee but no nearer. With our domestic menagerie such a trip away would require very careful planning.
Though I've never been to San Diego, nor Boston, I'd venture a good guess that it's quite a different "experience" than rural southern Appalachia!

You simply MUST try it someday.... and trust me... it will be a lot more fun with a skirt on... one of your shorter ones! :D

Remember, what happens in Appalachia... stays in Appalachia.. and if it floats, just tie a rock to it, it'll stay down.
-Andrea