Slideshow and Questionnaire

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Slideshow and Questionnaire

Post by Daryl »

Hi folks,

I've been working on a slideshow and a project concept, and I have linked it to a questionnaire at the end. It's a bunch of photos of my skirts, writings, and stuff. If you'd like to take a look go to https://goo.gl/vwnNRO

I'm looking for attention, obviously, but not taking attendance. (Google can do that for me.) I'm releasing this here first and depending on feedback (please please pretty please) may modify it before wider release. Obviously I will report on results here; ground zero for men in skirts.
Daryl...
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Slideshow and Questionnaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Very entertaining! A few comments:
• The array of skirts shown could be more inclusive, for example above-the-knee plain hiking skirts which are not feminine, and styles that are feminine with lighter, more flowy fabric. Both of those are favorites.
• The astronomical photos are kind of fun but they don't show the skirts in their best light.
• Reasons for NOT wearing skirts should include weather/environment. I choose not to wear skirts in cold weather. So I put "my main barrier is not here."
• There is a lot of discussion of "exposure": methods to avoid, anxiety about, etc. Is it that big an issue? I would imaging most guys who haven't tried it would worry much more about simply being seen wearing one. For me it has always been a very minor concern; of course one has to be careful not to flash someone, but sitting with ankles crossed, knees crossed, or knees together comes pretty naturally.
• I forgot just how to convert dog years into people years!
* the spot on the "rights or fashion" gradient is very hard to assign, since skirting is about both of those dimensions very strongly, so I put my spot close to the middle.
• in the Superpowers question (love that concept!) I like the "keep the pants off the greasy floor" answer, but I only rarely sit on public toilets so it doesn't apply to me very much.

It will be interesting to see the answers data once you get a bunch of responses!

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Very entertaining! A few comments:
• The array of skirts shown could be more inclusive, for example above-the-knee plain hiking skirts which are not feminine, and styles that are feminine with lighter, more flowy fabric. Both of those are favorites.
• The astronomical photos are kind of fun but they don't show the skirts in their best light.
• Reasons for NOT wearing skirts should include weather/environment. I choose not to wear skirts in cold weather. So I put "my main barrier is not here."
• There is a lot of discussion of "exposure": methods to avoid, anxiety about, etc. Is it that big an issue? I would imaging most guys who haven't tried it would worry much more about simply being seen wearing one. For me it has always been a very minor concern; of course one has to be careful not to flash someone, but sitting with ankles crossed, knees crossed, or knees together comes pretty naturally.
• I forgot just how to convert dog years into people years!
* the spot on the "rights or fashion" gradient is very hard to assign, since skirting is about both of those dimensions very strongly, so I put my spot close to the middle.
• in the Superpowers question (love that concept!) I like the "keep the pants off the greasy floor" answer, but I only rarely sit on public toilets so it doesn't apply to me very much.

It will be interesting to see the answers data once you get a bunch of responses!

-----Henry
Thanks Henry, I will be taking all critiques into account in any subsequent releases. They are very valuable to me.

I think you are right about the amount of discussion of exposure. Its percentage would be far less in any larger presentation. Probably also the discussion of femininity would not expand further. This is me practicing my pitch skills as well.

I may have become oversensitive to the whole exposure issue from having actually caught women trying to look upskirt and having so many express undue interest in what was under my kilt back when I just wore kilts. I do think there's a double-standard. Combining external organs and lower tolerance for male sexual exposure and some stupid crap might happen, I think. You're right that men starting out will be more conscious of just being skirted, of course.

Agree about sitting with knees close, but you know, this came as a huge surprise to me when one day I realised I was doing it almost effortlessly. I sit like that a lot now and never put my ankle on my knee anymore. Not trying to be "modest", just sitting comfortably. I'm slightly more poised in general now too, without any attempt to be so.

My collection of skirts isn't big enough to show more styles, alas. I only have so much sewing time because, as you've noticed, I spend a lot of time surveying other planets and galaxies. This display is pretty close to my entire wardrobe.
Daryl...
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I like hiking skirts above the knee and resemble shorts as much as possible. Some are elastic pull on, some have belt loops which I like with elastic belt. I have camouflage, gray, khaki. I wear a skirt when I am out doing photography in the wilderness and in state and national parks, nature preserves, etc. I wear them in stores, gas stations, restaurants, etc. I wear them around people, but usually keep to myself.

The article, photography, and examples are great, but didn't allow me to give my feedback about my preferences. I think you and people like you are doing a great job of helping skirts to become mainstreamed. I really liked the talk by the young lady. She is very animated and said everything the way I see it.

Good job, keep it up. I would very much like to see the results of your survey.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I like hiking skirts above the knee and resemble shorts as much as possible. Some are elastic pull on, some have belt loops which I like with elastic belt. I have camouflage, gray, khaki. I wear a skirt when I am out doing photography in the wilderness and in state and national parks, nature preserves, etc. I wear them in stores, gas stations, restaurants, etc. I wear them around people, but usually keep to myself.

The article, photography, and examples are great, but didn't allow me to give my feedback about my preferences. I think you and people like you are doing a great job of helping skirts to become mainstreamed. I really liked the talk by the young lady. She is very animated and said everything the way I see it.

Good job, keep it up. I would very much like to see the results of your survey.
Thanks Happy. When there is enough to present I will definitely present it.

I'd bet that it was just that Google Forms makes the text input boxes nearly invisible so you didn't see where you could put in the selections. (you need to type the numbers in.) I'm sure you could fill in the survey again, but only doing the first section so as to not skew the results of the second section. Just click on the very light grey text under the question and type.

In any next version I am sure I would make those selections drop-down boxes. I only made them text boxes so I could add another skirt or two without having to go back and change every form element. Of course, I used up the overhead I allowed (2 extra) so would have to do that now anyway if I added even one skirt, because each input does range checking.

It's obvious, I think, that I'm not trying to do real statistically valid polling, but rather getting some general insight to allow me to do further investigation in documentary mode. Nevertheless even with only 3 respondents so far, it is becoming quite interesting. We are wonderfully all over the map, not some lock-step special issue group, which makes it more interesting while also revealing why there is no "movement" (except in the sense of an observable phenomenon).
Daryl...
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

I liked the slideshow, it was well done, the only negative is that I would like to see more different styles of skirts otherwise well done.

John
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

john62 wrote:I liked the slideshow, it was well done, the only negative is that I would like to see more different styles of skirts otherwise well done.

John
Thanks John. Just one question. How do skirts work in Australia? I mean, don't they keep falling up?

Mmmm, nevermind, I think I figured it out for myself... :o
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Counting myself, I've had 10 respondents so far, so am presenting this early summary for everyone's amusement and edification.

Click here to view the summary slideshow.
Daryl...
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

The presentation is very clear and well put together. The skirts and photography are also excellent. Nice work! I've just submitted my responses.

I'm most intrigued by #2 and #9. As I see it, both of them combine elements of kilts and skirts. I haven't seen many (any?) longer but strongly pleated skirts like #9.

On the topic of the breadth of styles shown, I'd suggest adding one or more photos where the skirt is worn "lower rise," aka "on the hips." Many men, particularly younger men from what I have seen, wear their trousers/pants at this latitude. It might make a given look seem more familiar to them. Utility kilts could also be represented.

You might be able to expand the photo samples more easily by requesting permission to use other people's photos, but I suppose that depends on whether you value the presentation as also being a sort of portfolio of your designs, which is quite nice. One option might be to follow your designs with a separate section showing other designs.

Are you looking for as many responses as possible for this iteration of the presentation/questionnaire? If so, I'd be happy to share it on the Skirtcraft social media feeds.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

finrod wrote:The presentation is very clear and well put together. The skirts and photography are also excellent. Nice work! I've just submitted my responses.

I'm most intrigued by #2 and #9. As I see it, both of them combine elements of kilts and skirts. I haven't seen many (any?) longer but strongly pleated skirts like #9.

On the topic of the breadth of styles shown, I'd suggest adding one or more photos where the skirt is worn "lower rise," aka "on the hips." Many men, particularly younger men from what I have seen, wear their trousers/pants at this latitude. It might make a given look seem more familiar to them. Utility kilts could also be represented.

You might be able to expand the photo samples more easily by requesting permission to use other people's photos, but I suppose that depends on whether you value the presentation as also being a sort of portfolio of your designs, which is quite nice. One option might be to follow your designs with a separate section showing other designs.

Are you looking for as many responses as possible for this iteration of the presentation/questionnaire? If so, I'd be happy to share it on the Skirtcraft social media feeds.
Thanks for the observations and kind offer. I do plan to take it wider at some point but that will be a new version incorporating some feedback I've gotten here. My time is at a premium right now and I'd like to give more members here a chance before going forward with version 2, so I will remember to contact you to help spread the word when the time comes, if that's okay with you.

#2 and #9 were among my earliest efforts. You know, I've never understood wearing even pants on hips, but the way pants are cut nowadays it's a necessity. I didn't model my UKs because a big part of the motivation for the project is not just finding out what people might like but also how much traction some very simple DIY-capable constructions could achieve. UKs and "real" kilts are both far too complex for that purpose, and frankly I am also interested in what's outside of the male cliche box because the inside is already fairly well known.

Thanks again!
Daryl...