Why can't men wear skirts? Indeed!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Why can't men wear skirts? Indeed!

Post by denimini »

This could well be one of us:
Bruce Johnson, Older and wiser wrote: Written 22 May 2016

Oh but they do and can! “Women’s” skirts fit men perfectly. There is no need for a men’s skirt. Some are more fem than others so choose one that makes sense to you as there are thousands of styles unlike men’s clothing. A skirt is not gender specific. Anyone can wear a skirt. This is something most males don’t understand because they never tried one on!

............................................ Men ARE discovering running skirts make more sense for a male to wear.. no chaffing and cooler than shorts and they look better than shorts! For hiking and especially when sitting… no freaking crotch binding inseams. A short skirt provides unlimited freedom of movement unlike any so called “male” clothes. Men have worn skirts far longer throughout time than women have and many of those were micro mini length and worked fine for centuries.

It is a ladies skirt if a lady buys it. It’s a man’s skirt if a man buys it. Skirts have no gender.

............................................. I submit that any guy who tries on a “Cargo Mini Skirt” this summer instead of shorts on a hot day will NOT give it up. Something similar to this American Eagle mini skirt.
A bit like converting the preacher or something, posting it here, but shows that there may be more out there than we think.
https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-men-wear-ladies-skirts
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why can't men wear skirts? Indeed!

Post by Kilty »

Lots of positive answers, I can't see why it is a problem... You only have to do an Instagram search on "menskirt" and you will see there are plenty who already do who are out in "the wild" :wink:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I do, in the deed.
Men can, just decide as much as the Ladies went trousered.
The struggle is still out there for those with the appetite for it.
Now for the controversy.
The "KILT" in any form is not the way forward.
The simple truth is that "KILT" gives a choice of "ONE".
Is this any better than trousers?
Please remember that as a Scotsman, I do take the kilt very seriously.
Steve.
DonP

Post by DonP »

STEVIE wrote: The "KILT" in any form is not the way forward.
I disagree. For me, wearing a kilt is just as unusual as wearing a skirt. Many here have cited instances where their skirt was mistaken for a kilt or vice versa. I don't think there is a big difference. I think wearing a kilt helps the cause by exposing the general public to an alternative form of dress even if it's not as far reaching as you would like. For me, it's a skirt that doesn't make me look or feel feminine. It's as far as I go.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have found I get more comments (never bad ones) when I wear the kilt, this is true even in Glasgow). Denim skirts tend to get completely ignored,m even ankle length. The kilt always gets comments, or questions. Mostly "What tartan is that? or friendly enquiries about what's worn under it? (Nothing, it's all in perfect working order - who said that?)
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

For me, wearing a kilt is just as unusual as wearing a skirt. Many here have cited instances where their skirt was mistaken for a kilt or vice versa. I don't think there is a big difference. I think wearing a kilt helps the cause by exposing the general public to an alternative form of dress even if it's not as far reaching as you would like. For me, it's a skirt that doesn't make me look or feel feminine. It's as far as I go.
DonP Member Posts: 26Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:02 pm
I have to agree with Don. Living in the West of England, kilts are not that usual, but it is what MOH is happy with, so there we are.
I have made use of MOH's Cornish connection, however, and have a custom made kilt in the St Piran tartan, (For those not in the know, St Piran is the patron saint of Cornish miners) as well as 'everyday' kilts in some of the more generic Scottish tartans.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'll concede that the "kilt" offers some alternative for guys.
I just do not believe that "one" is a valid choice.
Take it or leave it, springs to my mind.
I'd also allow that we all must function within our given "communities" and wider "families".
This is as new as it gets. The venue had seen me trousered a few weeks ago. Lunch time, a mixed crowd:
The photo was taken by a member of staff, the skirt received no attention whatsoever. Just right and how it should be.
59th year on this planet, complete.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

STEVIE wrote:I'll concede that the "kilt" offers some alternative for guys.
I just do not believe that "one" is a valid choice.
Take it or leave it, springs to my mind.
I'd also allow that we all must function within our given "communities" and wider "families".
This is as new as it gets. The venue had seen me trousered a few weeks ago. Lunch time, a mixed crowd:
The photo was taken by a member of staff, the skirt received no attention whatsoever. Just right and how it should be.
59th year on this planet, complete.
Steve.
Very well turned out Stevie.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

STEVIE wrote:............ the skirt received no attention whatsoever. Just right and how it should be.
Steve.
Exactly.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
neiljerram

Post by neiljerram »

STEVIE wrote: The photo was taken by a member of staff, the skirt received no attention whatsoever. Just right and how it should be.
Except that it does look like a very nice skirt!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Thanks Guys,
I quite like that look too and the clincher being comfortable with it.
Steve.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Kilts for formal wear such as family parties and hatches, matches and dispatches?
Skirts and dresses for everything else. Never again will I wear a suit!
My top quality kilt in my family tartan(Hughes) looks good and makes me feel good about myself.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I came across this page and I dare you to ask why.

https://heatst.com/life/women-bare-thei ... ium=HEATST

Now the reason for posting this are the comments by the wummen:
But the Harry Potter star defended her magazine pose saying: “They were claiming that I couldn’t be a feminist and have boobs. Feminism is about giving women choice.

“Feminism is not a stick with which to beat other women with.”

“It’s about freedom. It’s about liberation. It’s about equality.”

“I really don’t know what my t*ts have to do with it.”

Here, three staunch feminists agree with Emma and show their boobs with pride.

Sharron Foster, 46, a jewellery designer and divorced mum of two, of Plymouth, says:

“I live by the beach and I’ll happily swim in a bikini and often go topless on holiday in a warm country – why should that mean I can’t also be a feminist? That’s simply ludicrous.

Being a feminist means making your own choices and doing what you feel is right for you.

I do not care what men or even other women think in terms of how I dress or what I choose to do because if you live by the opinion of others you only devalue your own. As a jewellery designer I am financially independent, I make all my own decisions and hope I am an excellent role model to both my five-year-old son, James, and 19-year-old daughter, Sophia.

I have always tried to raise my daughter to believe that all women should feel empowered to follow their desires.

Posing topless, for example, is not an incitement to being touched. Are men really so little in control of themselves?

People who criticise Emma Watson for her Vanity Fair photo are only projecting their own prejudice on to her.”
I know that they were talking about boobs but if you substitute skirts then the same principle applies. I know that we skirtonians do have this attitude to an extent but why can't men in general think this way.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The LINK leads to:

HEATSTREET

Nothing Found

It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching can help.

XXX

Seems to have been pulled for one or more reasons !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching can help.
Perhaps it got pulled because it's neither PC nor in line with modern orthodoxy. I can see how the quote above would have seriously rankled the radicals, and they're the ones who now dominate the argument.

All this hullabaloo over boobs... Come on folks, get a life.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!