St. Patricks day 2017 kilts and or skirts.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

St. Patricks day 2017 kilts and or skirts.

Post by mishawakaskirt »

ST. Patricks Day is Friday March 17th, then National Tartan day (USA) is April 6th.
Will you be going all out for either holiday? Share how you will be dressing and celebrating. Get all that GREEN garb ON! Then Post those PICTURES and share your great stories of the day here with the rest of us here at the Skirt Cafe.
Have a fun and safe St. PatricksDay.
Mishawakaskirt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: St. Patricks day 2017 kilts and or skirts.

Post by Sinned »

Sorry misha but I have very little in green. I think one skirt that's in the Pics section and the one white/green T-shirt. That's it, so I won't be wearing green on St Patrick's Day. I could wear my one tartan kilt on the 6th of April though.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Every city, town & little village throughout this windy cold grey & miserable land will hold its St Patrick's Day parade. It will be late May before it'll be wise to poke one's nose out of doors without a space suit on!

For my sins I hate big crowds and having to park 5 miles away, so I avoid the lot of 'em like the Plague.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sinned wrote:Sorry misha but I have very little in green. I think one skirt that's in the Pics section and the one white/green T-shirt. That's it, so I won't be wearing green on St Patrick's Day. I could wear my one tartan kilt on the 6th of April though.

6th of April

FYI

In the USA the 6th of April is National Tartan Day - ya don't havata be Scottish Irish or of any affliction affection etc. to wear a Tartan !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have a few green "T" shirts and a green sweater, but no green skirts. :mrgreen: So I will probably wear one of the green "T" shirts and a black skirt on St Paddies day. :alien:
As for attending the parades I am with Tom on this. One year I went to Savannah Ga [1] on St Paddies day and the crowds were so bad that could not see anything anyway. :( The drunks were so bad you could not take a step without walking in something. :x
After that I said no more for me.

[1] Savannah Ga. has one of the biggest celebrations in the entire South East of the US. They have had in the past free green beer, turned the Savannah River green (not an easy job) and have the most Kilted Pipe and Drum bands I have ever seen in one place. Even the viewers of the parades have been in kilts. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

Might be pulling on a skirt when I get home that day, but in terms of wearing green because of it being an unofficial holiday here in the states instead of a Holy Day in the homeland? Nah.

Had it explained to me by someone fully Irish as opposed to me being only mostly Irish. The whole looking like a leprechaun on 17 March some find as troubling as if someone were to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday in blackface. Hard to get happy after that.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Dr. Martin Luther King was real. Leprechauns are amusing artefacts, but great money-spinners for those who make or sell them.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I believe in Chicago town that the Chicago river is dyed GREEN also !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Got green eyes, so... :sofnny:

That, and I don't really see much need in celebrating.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I never knew about Tartan Day. Now I'm super upset that I don't have a kilt of my family since I'm of Scottish decent. I would wear one if I could. As fro St. Patrick's day, I'm not sure what I'll be doing for that. I never think ahead for things like that.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Yuki wrote:I never knew about Tartan Day. Now I'm super upset that I don't have a kilt of my family since I'm of Scottish decent. I would wear one if I could. As fro St. Patrick's day, I'm not sure what I'll be doing for that. I never think ahead for things like that.
A family tartan would be great, but is not nessary, just get one you like, try to have some knowledge on it. Or one that you have some kind of connection to. They make them for some schools, companies, states, etc. I looked up my family name, one exists, however it is a ugly mustard yellow color mostly. Not to mention I would have to have a weaver mill crank out 20 yards or more out, then have the kilt made. Which would cost tons of money, I'M too cheap for that.
Tartan day Ill bbe wearing my Black Watch or "Wallace" if it gets here in time.
One grandparent on my moms side was Wallace
MIshawakaskirt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Yuki wrote:I never knew about Tartan Day. Now I'm super upset
that I don't have a kilt of my family since I'm of
Scottish decent. I would wear one if I could. As
for St. Patrick's day, I'm not sure what I'll be doing
for that. I never think ahead for things like that.
Look at http://www.stillwaterkilts.com and you'll find many tartans
and weight levels(Ounces of the poly-viscose fabric) to choose from. There
customer service is fantastic. Shipping is quite fast. Made in Minnesota.
You'll find several options around $60.00, and they're pleated to "The Set",
not "The Stripe".

I have 3 of their kilts, standard weight. My last order was placed on
a Friday night - LATE, and I had them in my mail box on the following
Tuesday. :D

Put them in the washing machine, cold water, on gentle cycle then
hang to dry on 3 or 4 skirt hangers. They dry quickly but it's best
to wash them just before going to bed and let them dry overnight.
No Shrinkage with hang drying.

This procedure has worked well for me over the past 10 years.

Hope this helps :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

The only green I've got is a Kelly green t-shirt from St. Patrick's Day a few years ago. I thought about wearing it with either my black Utilikilt or my black denim skirt and then going out for dinner. Until I realized that I'll be going out of town for the weekend to visit a good friend of mine who lives in a somewhat "Good Ole Boy [GOB]" part of California. He definitely NOT a GOB and knows I wear skirts and kilts and doesn't mind a bit. But he's asked me not to wear skirts/kilts when visiting him. No problem... I'll just wear my green t-shirt and skirt when I get back! :-)

--Rick
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

Yeah, I know Dr. King was real and leprechauns aren't but the whole ginger beard, green clothes, "Top o' the mornin! I'm p***ed on Guinness!" from someone who isn't even diaspora Irish, I can see where one might be sensitive to that.

On my mobile so I hope the font isn't massive on desktop. Sorry if it is. Wasn't my intent.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Every outing this month has been with me wearing a skirt or my family kilt. The new change is my church friends for the first time seeing us at Mass in my kilt. Mom and Dad are from Ireland so I am partial to Mom's McKernan tartan. My other favorite is the Nova Scotia tartan kilt.
My first day wearing my kilt to Mass was me on crutches(ski accident). No mention of kilt just good wishes for recovery.
As stated many times for newcomers to skirts. Friends who know you before skirt wearing can be very accepting, especially the older generation. Confidence is the Key!