I still don't like being skirted close to home.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

I still don't like being skirted close to home.

Post by hairy »

I've been wearing my skirts out and about for a few years now, sometimes with my wife and daughter, sometimes alone. I don't have any problems going into supermarkets while in a mini skirt or walking in the countryside. My problem is being seen close to home. The evil old people in my street love a good gossip because they have narrow little minds. As it is because I'm a biker and different to so called norm they have called police out to me several times and I don't want to be known as that strange bloke who wears skirts. I'm not going to move away or anything like that, but a few younger people I do get on with around me so don't want to isolate myself from them. So I'm still left with that same problem of getting outside my own front gate. Summer won't be far away in the UK now and I want to enjoy it without worrying about those idiots near me.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I still don't like being skirted close to home.

Post by oldsalt1 »

Short and sweet your first sentence says it all . You are out with your wife and daughter while skirted. F--k everybody else
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I'm not intending to pry but curious as to why the police have got involved, as you seem to have linked your neighbours' issues with biking or skirting, or both. As we all know it's not a crime to ride a motorbike, or to wear a skirt. Unless when on your bike in a mini skirt your pants are showing...that could set the cat among the pigeons with some folk. Otherwise I'm sure the police have got better things to do than to educate your neighbours as to where freedom of choice sits in the great scheme of all things criminal - that is, nowhere that I'm aware of, particularly if it doesn't harm or offend anyone else.
I too am uncomfortable about wearing skirts too close to my front door as it's not worth the hassle of tongues wagging and me ending up labelled as some kind of weirdo. This is why I go for kilts. It's usually less bother all round.
Pete
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Personally I've gotten to the point i simply don't care what anybody else thinks. And as a result life is so much better. Someday you'll get there. Until then you have to do what you have to do and not worry so much over it.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mugman wrote:I'm not intending to pry but curious as to why the police have got involved, as you seem to have linked your neighbours' issues with biking or skirting, or both. As we all know it's not a crime to ride a motorbike, or to wear a skirt.
In the USA, police vary in quality from highly professional forces to bands of thugs scarcely better than the riff-raff they're supposed to contain.

Muddying the waters further, once an allegation gets made, all too frequently an arrest follows and subsequent legal hassles begin -- whether a crime has been committed or not. One would hope that the police would be able to figure out whether a crime has been committed, but that only happens in the most professional of forces, and then only if there is no guidance in what constitutes a crime (e.g.: an allegation of domestic abuse automatically triggers an arrest whether the thing happened or not).

In addition to the above, the aggrieved party (the one that got hassled) has no recourse in dealing with the individual (or individuals) who called the police. It's a toxic brew that allows abusers to abuse their victims by proxy and there is no defence save to move.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I will sometimes wear a skirt to the mail box. I would rather change into a skirt when I am about three miles from home where no one knows me. I am in public quite a bit; stores, gas stations, restaurants. Sometimes my wife is with me, but I am usually alone. I am a nature and wildlife photographer which involves a lot of hiking. What could be better for walking and hiking than a skirt. All of mine are above the knee and fit very much like shorts. I kilt denim, camouflage, gray, khaki. No one notices or has ever made a comment. I have worn a skirt among a group of friends and none has said a word unless I bring up the subject. None of them ever made a negative comment. I like wearing a skirt when driving. I can pull it up and enjoy the benefits of air conditioning, and the crotch seam is absent from pressure between my legs.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I do wear my skirts out and about in the village, however although I have taken a mid morning walk right through the village to pick up my car while wearing a skirt, including walking past the community hall while people I know where cleaning up after an event, waving back at at at least one person who saw me, recently my skirted walks have been late night/early morning when all apart from me are still in bed. I think this is after being seen, talked to by a friend who sounded so concerned I thought that he thought I was having a breakdown!
I still have a dream that once I have retired, and due to lousy joints have given up with the motorbikes, I will switch to skirts full time, don't know why, but I still look forwards to being 100% skirted for good or ill.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

hairy wrote: As it is because I'm a biker and different to so called norm they have called police out to me several times
Why? And what was the police response?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Unfortunately there are gossips in every town but unless they have dementia they will eventually get sick of talking about the same thing. I often think of it positively; that I have given some excitement to some poor lonely, bored person without a life of their own, but my generousity ends there; I don't allow them to take away something that I enjoy in my life.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

For all my bravado, for months the first few feet from my front door to my car were the scariest part of my outings. After awhile I realized the adults in my apartment complex really didn't have a problem with my skirt-wearing, including my site managers (I've had 3 since I moved in). Some of the kids were obnoxious in the way they asked why I dressed the way I do, until one asked politely and I gave her what she took as a perfectly satisfactory answer, that I like to and I'm an adult so I can do as I please. Apparently, she spread the word because the questions ceased.

In short Hairy, your nosy neighbors are the weirdos, not you. You're an individualist; they're that rare breed of people with too much time on their hands.

The other side to "being that bloke who wears skirts" is that it makes you memorable; as in being remembered by name at my drugstore not to mention at my resale shops and elsewhere.

Attitude is everything and the best ones are self-assurance and self-acceptance.

Good luck!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

I don’t have a problem going around my neighbourhood in a skirt, but my wife does. Of course she can’t dictate how I prefer to dress. The thing is we made an agreement some years ago where we both had to accept something we individually didn’t like. I try to keep my promise, but the agreement is soon to be reevaluated.

Before my wife and I moved together I lived alone in two different apartments. Both places I left and arrived home in different skirts and dresses and everybody knew. It was great to be open about it where I lived and it made the hole thing more natural, and I didn’t need to sneek around. I had a good relationship with my neighbors and they very fast got used to see me in skirts. The children living in the area were curious in the beginning, but soon they got used to it and didn’t react when they saw me. One day I talked with a couple for some time outside where we lived. We got into talking about what I wore that day. They told me they were glad to see me out in skirts, and it made them proud to live in a place where this was so accepted.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

mugman wrote:I'm not intending to pry but curious as to why the police have got involved, as you seem to have linked your neighbours' issues with biking or skirting, or both. As we all know it's not a crime to ride a motorbike, or to wear a skirt. Unless when on your bike in a mini skirt your pants are showing...that could set the cat among the pigeons with some folk. Otherwise I'm sure the police have got better things to do than to educate your neighbours as to where freedom of choice sits in the great scheme of all things criminal - that is, nowhere that I'm aware of, particularly if it doesn't harm or offend anyone else.
I too am uncomfortable about wearing skirts too close to my front door as it's not worth the hassle of tongues wagging and me ending up labelled as some kind of weirdo. This is why I go for kilts. It's usually less bother all round.
Pete
It was nothing to do with skirts or bikes. Just that I stand out a bit, I have a large hedge around my garden for privacy but the old farts around here wanted to see in my garden and complained about my hedge. I put up a sign about what I would do if I find their cats in my garden. With in minutes the police were at my door. Like I said I generally stand out and won't take being told what I should/should not do especially by an ageing bunch of alchoholics who hide behind curtains. I also don't want to be the centre of their petty attentions because of being skirted.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Big and Bashful wrote:I do wear my skirts out and about in the village, however although I have taken a mid morning walk right through the village to pick up my car while wearing a skirt, including walking past the community hall while people I know where cleaning up after an event, waving back at at at least one person who saw me, recently my skirted walks have been late night/early morning when all apart from me are still in bed. I think this is after being seen, talked to by a friend who sounded so concerned I thought that he thought I was having a breakdown!
I still have a dream that once I have retired, and due to lousy joints have given up with the motorbikes, I will switch to skirts full time, don't know why, but I still look forwards to being 100% skirted for good or ill.
I can't give up the bikes and in summer I'm often skirted on the bikes while carefully riding country lanes.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

When I came off last year, slowly, probably less than thirty mph, wearing full leathers, the skin on my right knee was crushed inside the leather leg so that there was a hole in the knee around which was a mesh of red spots where the skin had been pressed through the mesh on the inside of the padding.The leather and pad were only scuffed. If I was not wearing the leather legs I hate to think how much worse the scar on my knee would be as well as the gravel rash which would have happened to my leg. The mates who got me into bikes always said they would never speak to me again if they ever saw me riding without leathers. I like having skin and although I have ridden short distances a few times while skirted, after the last off, I will stick to wearing leathers.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:Short and sweet your first sentence says it all . You are out with your wife and daughter while skirted. F--k everybody else
^THIS!

Yeah... to hell with your neighbors! They're not your rulers... are they? Do they pay your rent? Do they write your paycheck? What do they do besides cause problems?

Shoot... if I had neighbors that were causing me those kind of problems, I'd totally have a blast with them regarding my choice of dress! I'd wait until they have "proper" company, maybe a backyard BBQ, go outside and play, dance, sing, and carry on!

I mean, if you've got your wife and daughter on your side, then really... what's left to worry about?? You're there man!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.