I still don't like being skirted close to home.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Milfmog

Re: I still don't like being skirted close to home.

Post by Milfmog »

moonshadow wrote:Shoot... if I had neighbors that were causing me those kind of problems, I'd totally have a blast with them regarding my choice of dress! I'd wait until they have "proper" company, maybe a backyard BBQ, go outside and play, dance, sing, and carry on!

I mean, if you've got your wife and daughter on your side, then really... what's left to worry about?? You're there man!
Hmmm... I'm minded to agree with you Moon, except that I suspect that embarrassing the wife and daughter may result in not having them on-side for much longer. This is one of those situations that is easily solved from a distance, but only the person in the situation can really judge it.

So while my instinct is "Sod the neighbours", reality may have to intrude; there is a real danger of demonstrating Menken's hypothesis that for every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

hairy wrote:I've been wearing my skirts out and about for a few years now, sometimes with my wife and daughter, sometimes alone. I don't have any problems going into supermarkets while in a mini skirt or walking in the countryside. My problem is being seen close to home. The evil old people in my street love a good gossip because they have narrow little minds. As it is because I'm a biker and different to so called norm they have called police out to me several times and I don't want to be known as that strange bloke who wears skirts. I'm not going to move away or anything like that, but a few younger people I do get on with around me so don't want to isolate myself from them. So I'm still left with that same problem of getting outside my own front gate. Summer won't be far away in the UK now and I want to enjoy it without worrying about those idiots near me.
I was the same way at first but I kept doing it anyway until eventually after a few years, I feel nothing and all my neighbours seem to have gone blind.

The thing is, you behave differently in subtle ways when you're nervous, and people have powerful instincts for detecting that. They may rationalise their disapproval with something more cerebral, but there's a chance also that your subtly nervous behaviour is in fact also triggering theirs.

I have on occasion found that people don't even notice I'm wearing a skirt right away. We can be talking face to face then I'll get "hey, you're wearing a kilt". I think this is because I am so unselfconscious of it now my behaviour makes people dismiss me as unworthy of a second look until we're actually in contact. Minds fill in gaps and people can see only shorts if all they're using is peripheral vision at first.
Daryl...
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Other than a few friends who come from a line of ultra-strict fundamentalist types, but they seem to be able to put up with kilts and the occasional skirt, most places I frequent seem to not consider it an issue. A double-take here and there, but that is it. All the tellers at three different bank branches know me by name and no longer ask for ID when I make deposits. Don't sense any hostile vibes.

Then tonight. In the mid-30's so I pulled on fleece-lined tights, my black walking shoes, stepped into a black Ponte knit midi skirt, pulled on a white turtleneck and then slipped into a longish cowled sweater. http://www.lanebryant.com/marled-button ... 0000000628 Also a cross-body Tumi messenger bag. https://cdnd.lystit.com/photos/2013/08/ ... _flex.jpeg

Went to Southern "good ole boy" area and had BBQ, did some shopping, brought things home and watched the weather part of the news, then headed South on Dixie Highway and into the Kroger superstore. Got a few things and then....

I was after a second pint of a particular ice cream I favor and it was way back on the top shelf....stepped on the bottom part of the freezer and grabbed the top of the freezer with one hand and pulled a couple pints forward, left one for someone else and put the second one down on the next shelf before stepping down. While doing this a young lady who was looking in the next door over, noticed and came over to hold the door, for which I thanked her. Don't know if she'd ID'd me as a guy or not until I climbed down and spoke.

Then on checking out another lady joined me at the door as we pushed our carts bravely into the cold wind. Interestingly, she was parked right next to me. So as I had less stuff I got things in the trunk and put the cart in the pickup area and got in my car as she finished and took her cart to the pickup area while waving and smiling broadly.

Seems to be a pattern here and in other incidents....it is all women.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Daryl wrote:...The thing is, you behave differently in subtle ways when you're nervous, and people have powerful instincts for detecting that. They may rationalise their disapproval with something more cerebral, but there's a chance also that your subtly nervous behaviour is in fact also triggering theirs...
That's certainly been my experience. If you cower and cringe people will look down on you. If you show friendliness and confidence, they look up.

And while I'm certainly no expert on Cannadians, every one I've ever known has been pretty laid back.

Just be careful with skirts on the bike.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Darryl wrote: Then on checking out another lady joined me at the door as we pushed our carts bravely into the cold wind. Interestingly, she was parked right next to me. So as I had less stuff I got things in the trunk and put the cart in the pickup area and got in my car as she finished and took her cart to the pickup area while waving and smiling broadly.

Yeah, what's up with that? I feel like women seem to be in-grouping me more. But knowing that I also feel a greater sense of solidarity with them now that I share something ordinarily from their side of the store, I figure it's just me seeing what I suspected might happen. Another theory I've had is that maybe a man in a skirt is signalling "I'm not a threat because I'm not into girls". Silly brain, but it does wonder if it's real or imagined.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:
Daryl wrote:...The thing is, you behave differently in subtle ways when you're nervous, and people have powerful instincts for detecting that. They may rationalise their disapproval with something more cerebral, but there's a chance also that your subtly nervous behaviour is in fact also triggering theirs...
That's certainly been my experience. If you cower and cringe people will look down on you. If you show friendliness and confidence, they look up.
And while I'm certainly no expert on Cannadians, every one I've ever known has been pretty laid back.
Just be careful with skirts on the bike.
Heh, I have my eye on a Suzuki Bergman.
Daryl...
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Daryl wrote:
Darryl wrote: Then on checking out another lady joined me at the door as we pushed our carts bravely into the cold wind. Interestingly, she was parked right next to me. So as I had less stuff I got things in the trunk and put the cart in the pickup area and got in my car as she finished and took her cart to the pickup area while waving and smiling broadly.

Yeah, what's up with that? I feel like women seem to be in-grouping me more. But knowing that I also feel a greater sense of solidarity with them now that I share something ordinarily from their side of the store, I figure it's just me seeing what I suspected might happen. Another theory I've had is that maybe a man in a skirt is signalling "I'm not a threat because I'm not into girls". Silly brain, but it does wonder if it's real or imagined.
Interesting thought. Disproved if there is time for observation of my....hmmmm....appreciation of passing lovely ladies. :roll: But that is one of the common and erroneous assumptions. Unless all the 'straight' cross-dressers were lying during the studies I've read. And if you're balding and wearing a full beard....?
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I don't really get what your saying Darryl, but I am balding and have full beard.
Not a Bergman please, I feel like saying they are not real bikes but that would be wrong of me because anything with two wheels and engine is a motorbike. Its probably just that a Bergman wouldn't suite me. I have a stable full of bikes from my classic Triumphs to modern Kawasaki ZZR1200s. I've lost count of how many bikes I have, and really hope it will be warm enough to ride skirted soon.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

hairy wrote:I don't really get what your saying Darryl, but I am balding and have full beard.
I guess I was intimating that you couldn't be trying to 'pass' if you were balding and bearded.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

hairy wrote:I don't really get what your saying Darryl, but I am balding and have full beard.
Not a Bergman please, I feel like saying they are not real bikes but that would be wrong of me because anything with two wheels and engine is a motorbike. Its probably just that a Bergman wouldn't suite me. I have a stable full of bikes from my classic Triumphs to modern Kawasaki ZZR1200s. I've lost count of how many bikes I have, and really hope it will be warm enough to ride skirted soon.
Careful, there are two Dar(r)yl's now.

The riding of it is what sold me. A buddy had a pair of 650s and a day out with him on the highways was enough. Not really interested in bikes as such, just like the transportation alternative. Commuted across our major highway every day possible on a Honda CH250 for about 6 years, had that scooter for 11 years total and wore it out. Then a used Honda CM400T, then a used Kawasaki 450 LTD for a couple years, all for commuting. Now I'm older a little luxury is in order I think, and I know I can wear a skirt on the Bergman as it's almost a step-through scooter.
Daryl...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I see that John Surtees has gone to the great racetrack in the sky. The only man to win World Championships on both two wheels, two different ccs, and four wheels. A real old-fashioned gentleman by all accounts.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Sinned wrote:I see that John Surtees has gone to the great racetrack in the sky. The only man to win World Championships on both two wheels, two different ccs, and four wheels. A real old-fashioned gentleman by all accounts.
Yes Dennis that's another great one gone.
Very confusing its gonna be having two Darryl's even when they are spelt differently. I'm having to use TV screen as monitor as that's over other side of room and difficult to see some spelling.