A change of heart? Maybe.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A change of heart? Maybe.

Post by oldsalt1 »

skirts or kilts it doesn't matter the main thing is that you are doing what you makes " YOU" feel good
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mugman wrote:As suggested to Pelmut in a PM earlier, my skirting days are I think done now.
As always, one must follow his heart. You clearly know this Pete, and I sincerely doubt that anyone here would think the less of you for your position.
Now that is a magnificent waistcoat! Have you tried playing it to see if it sounds familiar? (I can still sight-read (slowly) but couldn't find anything recognisable in it.)

Thanks for checking in, it's good to read you.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I never got around to try playing the waistcoat as my sight reading isn't brilliant, but now, upon closer inspection, I see that each set of stave lines is sadly just a repeat pattern of several phrases. As with much of my novelty clothing it came from an ebay seller.

If allowed to go slightly off topic here, eBay can be a strange beast. I know that most UK guys of my age will have heard of Alan Price ('Just For You', 'Jarrow Song' etc). He used to perform alongside Georgie Fame for a while. I had also uncannily, in a previous life, designed advertisements for Mr. Price's record releases. Well, I had unknowingly (he uses a different handle on the auction site) sold him a keyboard I didn't need through eBay in 2011, and one day in June he called by to collect it. Nice guy, and I believe still performing regularly at The Bull's Head, Barnes. He's only five years older than me, so there's hope yet.

Then more recently I sold some model railway items via eBay to an anonymous out of the blue man in Brighton whose name somehow seemed familiar. Turned out to be my previous boss's dad. We had a brief chat about his daughter via an email, but I kept most of my work related feelings, generated over time under her torturous management, to myself, and stuck with a little anorakspeak on model railways.

Pete
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mugman wrote:I'm actually 70 in 38 days time. I hope not to age accordingly in the meantime (particularly in a mental way)...
Good choice. Never let you age get out of control.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I think if I were you I would have a few skirts made of the same material as the kilts you normally wear and of the same length. Wear the same shoes, etc. Probably no one else would notice the change. If they do, the already know you as the eccentric who wears kilts and isn't this just another form of kilt? I don't think you will have a problem. You have just "modernized" your outfit.

I have tried a few kilts and they are heavy and not the right length for me. Tartan is very noticeable. I wear denim, khaki, or gray skirts that I have had shortened to above the knee. I like lighter weight fabric and my skirts closely resemble shorts. No one seems to notice and I am frequently out in public. I have never had awkward stares or any comments.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Pete :D

Just a thought - wear a red shirt and white tie with the
'musical vest'(waistcoat) and the black leather/pleather
kilt/skirt. Would really be a hit 'On Stage' ;)

I'ld love a vest like that but I'm not sure if they come
large enough to fit my 'rotundness' :lol:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Hi Happy-N-Skirts, thanks for the suggestion, but too much trouble and expense getting skirts made up as I'm pretty much hooked on kilts, and that's sufficient for my style of life. I've purchased a knee length denim skirt mainly for home use, which is in the mail, and has to my mind a reasonably practical look about it. I might be tempted one day to wear that out and about. Photo below.

Uncle Al, I'll take that idea on board - seems like a plan. It might also suit my red, white and blue peppered kilt. Problem with pleather is that if you don't sit down perfectly on the pleats they stay badly creased for a while. I'll probably not use that one. I have other black kilts. Sorry I can't help on the larger waistcoat sourcing. If you can lay your hands on some appropriate material maybe a local tailor can knock one up (at a price :cry:) - at least they're not particularly complicated in design.

Pete
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I'm only 5 and half foot tall so standard 24inch kilts tend to feel far too long on me, and in summer time far too warm. I only use my utilility kilt in the cooler autumn months. In the summer its mainly mini's for me of any colour that looks right, and bare legs. I've more recently got myself a couple of ladies kilts, they are about 16 inch's. You can buy them in tartan or plain black so I think they would be a good way of going from a full kilt made for men over to something cooler and comfortable. They are still kilts after all, but just a bit shorter.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Online retailer ASOS now sell Kilts for men - http://tinyurl.com/hp94y8n
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

hairy wrote:I'm only 5 and half foot tall so standard 24inch kilts tend to feel far too long on me, and in summer time far too warm. I only use my utilility kilt in the cooler autumn months. In the summer its mainly mini's for me of any colour that looks right, and bare legs. I've more recently got myself a couple of ladies kilts, they are about 16 inch's. You can buy them in tartan or plain black so I think they would be a good way of going from a full kilt made for men over to something cooler and comfortable. They are still kilts after all, but just a bit shorter.

Same here, I'm 5' 7" and to wear a kilt at the "proper" knee placement, I have to wear the kilt almost 6 inches above my belly button. I usually go for half way in the middle compromise. Mass produced kilt makers must feel that kilt wearers are all 7 foot tall. A 20 inch short version would be perfect for us shorter gents. I should be used to it have the same trouble with trousers, 38 - 40 inch waist = pantlegs that need to hemmed up.

Your "short" cafe member. Mishawka
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

You folks think you're short? I'm 5'3". https://scottishkiltshop.com/ does custom length fairly reasonably. I order 17" kilts to just go to my knee top.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

jamodu wrote:Online retailer ASOS now sell Kilts for men - http://tinyurl.com/hp94y8n
Well it's a start, but I feel we've been down this road before.

It's clearly a skirt (calling it a kilt hoping to avoid feminine connotations) and the wrap around look appears to closely resemble H&M's efforts from about 16 years ago.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It is indeed quite clearly a skirt, but none the worse for that! I quite like it and I look forward to it being the runaway best seller of 2017.

Wasn't it ASOS that did the long and super-long sweatshirts (hoodies?) a couple of years ago? The longer of the two was basically a knee-length dress. If it was ASOS, then good for them for trying again so soon!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

skirtyscot wrote:Wasn't it ASOS that did the long and super-long sweatshirts (hoodies?) a couple of years ago? The longer of the two was basically a knee-length dress. If it was ASOS, then good for them for trying again so soon!
Yes, it was ASOS. I have one of their longline sweatshirts, which gets quite a bit of use at home. It's too short for comfort out and about anywhere that I expect to meet people (the price I pay for being 6' 3" I guess). Actually, the length would not be a problem for a skirt but one disadvantage of dresses is that raising the arms and shoulders lifts the entire garment, including the hem. Stretching up for something when wearing a short dress can become too revealing for comfort :shock: .

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Milfmog wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:Wasn't it ASOS that did the long and super-long sweatshirts (hoodies?) a couple of years ago? The longer of the two was basically a knee-length dress. If it was ASOS, then good for them for trying again so soon!
Yes, it was ASOS. I have one of their longline sweatshirts, which gets quite a bit of use at home. It's too short for comfort out and about anywhere that I expect to meet people (the price I pay for being 6' 3" I guess). Actually, the length would not be a problem for a skirt but one disadvantage of dresses is that raising the arms and shoulders lifts the entire garment, including the hem. Stretching up for something when wearing a short dress can become too revealing for comfort :shock: .

Have fun,

Ian.
I had one of its extreme longline jumpers which was basically a dress. Unfortunately, it was too shapeless for formal wear and didn't really look right on me.

I wish that manufacturers would make another one of these "sweatshirts" that was a bit more fitted to a man's body. Not a "bodycon" dress (I could never pull that off unless I lose a few pounds), just something the equivalent of what women have (without the darting around the chest, etc.)
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews