Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

Post by finrod »

I spotted this on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/175284490/ ... ple-cotton

And another similar one by the same shop:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/462137907/ ... ong-summer

I love that they're long and flowy, asymmetric, and that the wrap aspect removes concerns around exact sizing. Price not too bad, either. The main drawback for me with this type of skirt is that it's difficult to have pockets or belt loops.
Milfmog

Re: Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

Post by Milfmog »

Joe,

I have a couple of wrap skirts with pockets (adequate for a key, a little cash or a cell phone) and who needs belt loops if the skirt fits?

Have fun,

Ian.

PS Any further thoughts a new Skirtcraft design?
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Oh, good point about belt loops, Ian! They'd be extraneous with the waist being tie-able.

The next planned Skirtcraft product is the Aqueous Skirt. Based on survey feedback, I'm removing the rear vertical seam and relocating the zipper to just behind the right side pocket. I'm working on fabric sourcing right now. If things go well, I hope to have a Kickstarter campaign for it later this year.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

finrod wrote:Oh, good point about belt loops, Ian! They'd be extraneous with the waist being tie-able.
As an alternative to tieable, have you considered using press studs (USA Snaps?) Carole (Mrs Milfmog) has a great skirt that uses two rows of these right around the waist which both provide some cool decoration (macho enough not to scare any of the more conservative members here) and also allow for virtually limitless adjustment of the waist in 1 inch increments. Carole is, almost literally, half my weight but her skirt fits me, or would if she'd let me borrow it ( :( ). The skirt in question uses a small double pocket with clips that hangs from the waistband on a couple of small D-rings, but it may be equally feasible to have a small concealed pocket on the inside of the front apron and/or possibly a cargo pocket on the thigh of the side that wraps across the front.
The next planned Skirtcraft product is the Aqueous Skirt. Based on survey feedback, I'm removing the rear vertical seam and relocating the zipper to just behind the right side pocket. I'm working on fabric sourcing right now. If things go well, I hope to have a Kickstarter campaign for it later this year.
Don't forget to let us know here when you launch the Kickstarter.

Have fun,

Ian (A very happy Skirtcraft owner)
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

That skirt looks great. I'm not really that into long skirts but this one is one that I would definitely wear.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Milfmog wrote:As an alternative to tieable, have you considered using press studs (USA Snaps?) Carole (Mrs Milfmog) has a great skirt that uses two rows of these right around the waist which both provide some cool decoration (macho enough not to scare any of the more conservative members here) and also allow for virtually limitless adjustment of the waist in 1 inch increments. Carole is, almost literally, half my weight but her skirt fits me, or would if she'd let me borrow it ( :( ). The skirt in question uses a small double pocket with clips that hangs from the waistband on a couple of small D-rings, but it may be equally feasible to have a small concealed pocket on the inside of the front apron and/or possibly a cargo pocket on the thigh of the side that wraps across the front.
I've considered developing a wrap skirt, but haven't gotten too far with it. I love the universal ("analog" :) ) size aspect, both from a wearer perspective (size is guaranteed to be right, and stay right even if I grow or shrink) and from a manufacturing perspective (don't need to grade pattern, don't need to keep inventory sizes balanced). But, I think the only reason Skirtcraft can get enough business to exist is a combination of three factors making it unique: practicality (ample pockets + belt loops), very distinctive design (e.g. asymmetric angled or curving seams), and being marketed as unisex (marketing as "men's" would probably work ok too). One can find other skirts for sale, at lower prices (due to mass/overseas manufacturing), combining one or two of these features, but not many with all three of them. I feel that for people to decide to pay a relatively high price for a product by a micro-brand (and not receive for months if it's during the Kickstarter!), something truly unique must be on offer. Perhaps Carole's skirt is an example -- it's already available on the market, right? For example, even though my latest design would probably appeal to more people if it had an ordinary pair of vertical side seams instead of the spirals, at that point it's no longer very different from something one could already purchase. So as I see it, I have to keep to these unique features, so I'm offering something to people not satisfied with other products already out there.

Getting back to the wrap skirt product concept -- I do think all of the pocket types you mentioned are good ones, but I haven't seen a way to have 2+ large-ish pockets that would be highly functional and convenient (to satisfy one of the three "skirtcraft pillars" ;) ) while looking good and not having odd positioning due to the variable wrap overlap for people of different waist sizes. I'm going to run with my current idea and hopefully come back to a wrap skirt, maxi skirt, or dress, next.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I found the website for the manufacturer of Caroles skirt, http://www.amsterdamselection.com/en/. The fabrics shown may be a bit "loud" for many but the flexibility of sizing and the clever four skirts designs in one approach may be of interest to some here.

Joe,

I understand your thoughts and thank you for laying them down here.

Have fun,

Ian.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Milfmog wrote:As an alternative to tieable, have you considered using press studs (USA Snaps?)
'Velcro' hook and loop fastener strips can also be used to give a range of adjustment, but any unattached portion of the hook fabric is a bit of a menace because it will randomly hook into other garments. When designing anything with Velcro, it is important to make sure the joint plane is in shear, not tension, otherwise it will pull undone.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote:
Milfmog wrote:As an alternative to tieable, have you considered using press studs (USA Snaps?)
'Velcro' hook and loop fastener strips can also be used to give a range of adjustment, but any unattached portion of the hook fabric is a bit of a menace because it will randomly hook into other garments.
Indeed, unshielded "Velcro" hooks are a death-sentence to tights and anything delicate that might get snagged.

We used to use the stuff in long strips where I used to work to restrain cable-bundles and it was a real nuisance for me because in spite of frequent entreaties to "put the hooks in" lots would have the "hooks out" and that caused me quite a bit of grief with my nice attire and long hair. [0] Even around here I use Velcro for the purpose -- always with "hooks in".
When designing anything with Velcro, it is important to make sure the joint plane is in shear, not tension, otherwise it will pull undone.
In thinking about that for a moment, I cannot come up with an application in garment-manufacture where the stuff would ever be put in tension (as tension is how it's unfastened).

[0] Nobody understood what I was going on about because (1) I was the only person who had long hair and (2) I was the only one who dressed nicely. The implication was that I was "victimising myself" which was entirely unwelcome.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Ii have recently become acquainted with a form of Velcro that does not have the issue with the hook side. However I have not tested its ability to hook onto items it is not intended to hook onto. This type basically acts like a zipper in that it is made up of stems that have balls on the top and the balls hook into each other to form the connection. The areas that are not involved are still there but feel smooth to the touch so I do not think they would create the same issue as the hook side of regular Velcro. I am also not sure of the ability of this type to withstand the pull apart forces that regular Velcro can withstand without separating. That being said I have used them to secure cabling very successfully.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote:
pelmut wrote:
When designing anything with Velcro, it is important to make sure the joint plane is in shear, not tension, otherwise it will pull undone.
In thinking about that for a moment, I cannot come up with an application in garment-manufacture where the stuff would ever be put in tension (as tension is how it's unfastened).
Because the two items joined by the Velcro are parallel but not exactly in the same plane, tension on them produces a couple which tends to rotate the joint until it experiences a component of the tension which tends to pull the Velcro apart. The joint on a waistband is stabilised by being wrapped around your body, but two Velcroed straps in free space would rotate and separate when tension was applied.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

finrod wrote:
Milfmog wrote: I think the only reason Skirtcraft can get enough business to exist is a combination of three factors making it unique: practicality (ample pockets + belt loops), very distinctive design (e.g. asymmetric angled or curving seams), and being marketed as unisex (marketing as "men's" would probably work ok too).
There has been a bit of discussion in the past...if you are going to market a new design to men, the garment should definitely have good pockets. :!:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

finrod wrote: I think the only reason Skirtcraft can get enough business to exist is a combination of three factors making it unique: practicality (ample pockets + belt loops), very distinctive design (e.g. asymmetric angled or curving seams), and being marketed as unisex (marketing as "men's" would probably work ok too). One can find other skirts for sale, at lower prices (due to mass/overseas manufacturing), combining one or two of these features, but not many with all three of them. I feel that for people to decide to pay a relatively high price for a product by a micro-brand (and not receive for months if it's during the Kickstarter!), something truly unique must be on offer. .
I was wondering how much of Skirtcraft's viability is due to having female as well as male customers?

Moderator note: Quoting fixed. Ian.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Grok wrote:I was wondering how much of Skirtcraft's viability is due to having female as well as male customers?
I don't know the sex or gender of my customers except in a few cases when they've communicated with me and mentioned it. But if I were to try to estimate based on that limited sample as well as people's names (not necessarily an accurate indicator, by any means), I would guess that customers so far have been roughly 80-85% men and 15-20% women, with a few percent being non-binary.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I was wondering if "unisex" is the only option that is financially feasible.

Over the years there have been a number of companies that have tried to sell skirts specifically designed for men. These companies, it seems, tend to disappear, leaving only their web sites.

Perhaps female customers make a unisex design-just barely-viable.