Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Asymmetric Wrap Skirt

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I was wondering if "unisex" is the only option that is financially feasible.
Slapping the term "unisex" on the label is a guaranteed way to keep the average guy away from a design. They know what the code-word means.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:I was wondering if "unisex" is the only option that is financially feasible.
Slapping the term "unisex" on the label is a guaranteed way to keep the average guy away from a design. They know what the code-word means.
I'm not sure about that. For all intents and purposes, I'd argue that, there are only two types of clothing: women's wear and unisex wear; it's just that the unisex wear is primarily labelled men's wear. Women happily pick and choose whatever pleases them; men generally feel constrained by what others (particularly their partners) will think and so (with some exceptions) only choose what they are told is "men's wear', although they already know the reality is that men's wear is unisex.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:
crfriend wrote:
I'm not sure about that. For all intents and purposes, I'd argue that, there are only two types of clothing: women's wear and unisex wear; it's just that the unisex wear is primarily labelled men's wear. Women happily pick and choose whatever pleases them; men generally feel constrained by what others (particularly their partners) will think and so (with some exceptions) only choose what they are told is "men's wear', although they already know the reality is that men's wear is unisex.
Such irony-for many years I have worn unisex clothing without realizing it. :)
Last edited by Grok on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:
crfriend wrote:
I would consider "unisex" styles, etc.

OTOH, I'd put as: there are only two viable marketing paths for everything but the jock strap (menswear). The brassiere, with the rising incidence of gynecomastia in an aging and perhaps over-medicated male population, along with those ladies who are lacking in endowment, has become "unisex." Everything else is marketed towards men or women, with the women having come to consider pretty much ALL clothing as their plaything, or "unisex."

I think that my mom, being a lady, gave me the female answer to my question: "if you want to wear it, wear it."

If I could go back to the mid-70's and ask my dad, his answer might have been like: dress for success, go for the power look, dress for the job you want, don't be different, don't rock the boat.

He was a plant foreman, but he still wore a suit fairly often, and made sure I always had at least one "kid's suit."

Maybe if the President and many members of Congress and top-level executives started showing up in business-professional skirt-suits and dresses (and continued to function well,) we'd make some progress? Or if some entrepreneurial guys did so and still made their millions based on the business idea/product rather than the appearance of the "Big Guy."
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Actually, I suspect that male politicians will be among the last to change. Their managers/handlers will certainly advise them not to rock the boat, to stick with "dress for success" and a "power" look.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Actually, I suspect that male politicians will be among the last to change.
Are these the sorts of characters one wants to emulate?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote:
Grok wrote:Actually, I suspect that male politicians will be among the last to change.
Are these the sorts of characters one wants to emulate?
Well, I don't. :mrgreen: