Laughed at ...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Laughed at ...

Post by moonshadow »

It felt better getting that off my chest here.

I will return to the Walmart in question however, mainly because it's the only department store in town, and of course, I will not be bullied. When I go, I will hold my head a little higher than normal, and when the yokels laugh (and they will), I will totally ignore them. On my next visit, I'll be sure to wear something with flowers! :lol: Or maybe my hoop petti.

Yes folks, I know I talk a lot here about how "easy" it is, and it is (it really is), but make no mistake I do run into my share of crap.

As they say however, when you're knocked off the horse... get back up there!

We won't win at anything by being afraid to venture out freely!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:It felt better getting that off my chest here.

Yes folks, I know I talk a lot here about how "easy" it is, and it is (it really is), but make no mistake I do run into my share of crap.
I know just how good it feels to get something out in the open, It not only makes you feel better but allows you to see problem in a new light.

Your right it is easy, very easy. The only fear we have to fear is ourselves. I no longer fear what people are going to say about what I wear. I like my skirts and dresses and will wear them where I want. Let the mindless, slack-jawed scum do and say as they will, just ignore them and keep on skirting.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

That guy obviously hadn't shopped in Walmart very often. Google Walmartians to see some really outlandish and cringeworthy dressing. They make you look very conservative. Take heart Moon, the ones whose opinions matter are very much on your side.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am not sure if getting back on a horse is a good metaphore because the dreaded pants were invented for riding horses.
sinned wrote: That guy obviously hadn't shopped in Walmart very often. Google Walmartians to see some really outlandish and cringeworthy dressing. They make you look very conservative. Take heart Moon, the ones whose opinions matter are very much on your side.
yes, from what I have heard about Walmart, anything goes - and I am sure the hoons themselves weren't the acme of fine dressing.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

denimini wrote:I am not sure if getting back on a horse is a good metaphore because the dreaded pants were invented for riding horses.
sinned wrote: That guy obviously hadn't shopped in Walmart very often. Google Walmartians to see some really outlandish and cringeworthy dressing. They make you look very conservative. Take heart Moon, the ones whose opinions matter are very much on your side.
yes, from what I have heard about Walmart, anything goes - and I am sure the hoons themselves weren't the acme of fine dressing.
Have people here not seen the "people of Walmart" websites? In comparison to them, we really don't need to worry too much about our style of dressing!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Here are few of the less crazy ones: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Good grief. Maybe the hoons targetted Moonshadow because he was overly conservative; a normal skirt and nothing hanging out ......
I am not deriding those pictured but ackowledge a large variety of styles. I would have no qualms about going to that place in my "Bubblegum" green pleated micro.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I always look at it this way - if someone is going to laugh at what I'm wearing, they are the one lacking in character, not me.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Sorry you were treated that way.
Brings up the age old question again, why can the ladies wear just about anything and get away with? Denim jeans, suit and tie, long shorts , yoga pants, pajama pants, short shorts, short hair. Cowboy boots, leather, camoflage, team sports. Baggy trousers, skinny trousers, trousers full of holes. All acceptible ladies wear. Fassion freedom, you go girl! If a man wears even a few of those items we would be greeted with laughter, a yuck. Go change your clothes, that's discusting, why you wearing that? Etc, we have all seen some sort of disaproval reguarding our clothing selections.
Yet a woman can wear a potato sack and be called a visionary.
I wonder if the walmart redneck would have behaved the same way if Lady Gaga came walking past in her meat dress.

Mishwakaskirt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Because women are the gatekeepers of sex...and reproduction. Therefore, women can wear whatever they feel like, and still reproduce.

A man doesn't have that leverage.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Sorry you were treated that way.
Brings up the age old question again, why can the ladies wear just about anything and get away with? Denim jeans, suit and tie, long shorts , yoga pants, pajama pants, short shorts, short hair. Cowboy boots, leather, camoflage, team sports. Baggy trousers, skinny trousers, trousers full of holes. All acceptible ladies wear. Fassion freedom, you go girl! If a man wears even a few of those items we would be greeted with laughter, a yuck. Go change your clothes, that's discusting, why you wearing that? Etc, we have all seen some sort of disaproval reguarding our clothing selections.
I wonder if the walmart redneck would have behaved the same way if Lady Gaga came walking past in her meat dress.

Mishwakaskirt
^This.... well said!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
distant.ghost

Post by distant.ghost »

moonshadow wrote:It felt better getting that off my chest here.

I will return to the Walmart in question however, mainly because it's the only department store in town, and of course, I will not be bullied. When I go, I will hold my head a little higher than normal, and when the yokels laugh (and they will), I will totally ignore them. On my next visit, I'll be sure to wear something with flowers! :lol: Or maybe my hoop petti.

Ok, so this incident got me to finally register after being just a random reader for the last few years.

Moonshadow, the confrontation with the teenagers sounds like a threatening one. The first thing on my mind would've been to get the store manager and premises security involved. In retrospect, do you think that would've been feasible for dealing with the little cretins?

Don't stop going to that Walmart and don't stop wearing your skirts. Don't let them tear you down.

- Sev
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

I think I got laughed at this morning on a walk, I passed two female walkers and one smiled at me as I passed them but as they got a little further down I heard laughter though it may have been part of the conversation they were having...
Or they were laughing at my attempts at holding down the skirt because of the wind :lol: :lol:
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Sorry you were treated that way.

Mishwakaskirt
Many women don't see wearing skirts and dresses as a pleasure at all, but only as something they do when they feel required to do it. If they wear them to be attractive to men, well, that's because men want them to. If they feel a pressure to dress up for formal affairs and office parties, that's again a norm that is primarily rooted in how men want to see women, not women's own preferences. In this view, wearing a skirt or dress is like a prisoner decorating his cell. It's not his choice to be in a cell, but since he is required to be there, he makes the best of it as much as possible. The cell for women in this analogy is male expectations...what women feel they need to do to gain male approval.

Making the best of a bad situation could explain the enormous range of options available to women buying skirts and dresses, all on its own. It would take a lot of decoration to distract yourself from the fact that you are in prison...to give you some sense that you are still able to exercise choice. The prison analogy has been used by feminism to characterise the home, as well. It's always about what men do to, or fail to do for, women. Modern appliances oppressed women by making the home less work for them, leading to identity crises.

And everyone understands the "fear of femininity" aspect of it; that a man is bound to be ashamed of lowering his own status by being un-masculine in any way; so if a man is not trying to sexually attract, or at least please other men visually with a feminine appearance, he would have no reason at all to wear a skirt or dress. By this reasoning, a man in a feminine-ish skirt but not striving to "pass" as female is probably just in denial or crazy, and any talk of it as a relative rights issue will fall on deaf ears because it's like free people calling prison a right they are being denied: ridiculous on the face of it.

Not all women are like this. Some actually prefer skirts and understand why a man would want the same. I had a long talk with a woman at a streetcar stop one summer day a few years ago. I had my long khaki skirt on and she asked why I was wearing a skirt. I told her it was because I just preferred skirts to pants. I could tell that was the answer she was hoping for (and probably suspected would be the case given that my skirt was definitely not made for women). She volunteered that was how she felt too, and that she never wore pants anymore. She even told me about how her daughter (in college I think) had just started doing the same and that now they both totally enjoy skirts for personal bodily freedom as well as comfort on warm days. The streetcar was delayed so we kept talking and even touched on some of what I meantioned above. She didn't understand why more women didn't wear skirts all the time too. Women old enough to remember when skirts were actually required in schools are most apt to continue seeing it as their own rights issue, and therefore not a men's rights issue.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Reaper_Man wrote:started laughing and made a comment that i didn't quite hear, she continued to laugh and stare at me whilst i used the ATM, she then called her daughter over (who was looking at something in one of the aisles) with the words "hey [daughters name] come and look at this, the daughter promptly arrived and asked what the mother had wanted her to look at, the woman blatantly pointed at me and said "look at that" the daughter looked at me smiled and turned to her mother and said "is that all" and promptly returned to the aisle she was previously browsing
Not trying to minimise or excuse the behaviour here, but in my experience that woman's reaction would be more consistent with her thinking that you were trying to be funny, and believing that by laughing and sharing it with others she's actually validating your costume effort.

I've never worn anything radical enough to trigger that kind of response so of course that's just a guess, but it definitely reminded me of the reactions I got on the subway in my grim reaper costume at the last zombie walk. Her kids might have realised that you were just a bloke in a skirt, not a man in a costume. That would explain their lack of interest because they've all been educated on gender differences these days and accurately realised you were just exercising your options.

I did once experience titters for wearing a utilikilt(TM) in a small town coffee shop. It's classist of me to say so but they came from a hard looking little group of bumpkins, people one expects to find watching Jerry Springer show replays recorded on VHS. People who feel looked down on by others (because they are) feel good by doing it to others. My wife shot them her kill glare and they looked away but you could tell they were still tittering among themselves. I didn't react at all but I did double my donation to the local literacy program.
Daryl...