Laughed at ...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Laughed at ...

Post by mishawakaskirt »

In the above discussion someone posted about " Fear of Feminity" found this meme that kinda goes along with that. I don't know why society has developed this view.

I personally believe that men and women are equals, that we should celebrate our physical and mental diffrences ( there are many). Not try to be something we are not.
We eat dinner with a fork and spoon both are useful in diffrent ways but serve the same poupose. I disagree with Western societys. No skirt on men policy.
There still be distinctions in clothing, per male or female. Who made skirts the dividing line? Can you immagine the outcry there would be If men called for ladies to wear only skirts, talk about a long and bloody battle that would be, and we would not win, we would fare better in a cage with a ribbid wolverine.
After all it should be a two way skirt. :)
Mishawakaskirt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Daryl wrote:Not all women are like this. Some actually prefer skirts and understand why a man would want the same. I had a long talk with a woman at a streetcar stop one summer day a few years ago. I had my long khaki skirt on and she asked why I was wearing a skirt. I told her it was because I just preferred skirts to pants. I could tell that was the answer she was hoping for (and probably suspected would be the case given that my skirt was definitely not made for women). She volunteered that was how she felt too, and that she never wore pants anymore. She even told me about how her daughter (in college I think) had just started doing the same and that now they both totally enjoy skirts for personal bodily freedom as well as comfort on warm days. The streetcar was delayed so we kept talking and even touched on some of what I meantioned above. She didn't understand why more women didn't wear skirts all the time too.
This sort of goes along with the discussion I had with the woman in Franklin Tennessee about why I wear skirts and how she explained to me it was "customary" for her to wear her trousers, which were skin tight jeans. She explained she'd rather not wear them [the clothes she was wearing], and would prefer a 1920's vintage style dress, but she worries people would make fun of her for wearing such a garment casually.

When you look a women as a whole, they are bound by the same fashion shackles that we men are, they just have a few more items to choose from. But it is true, society will ridicule the "butch" style woman, the older woman who wears mini skirts, the young women who wears midi's, wearing baggy trousers, etc. Granted, there isn't as much risk for them, they don't have to worry about loosing employment, family or friends for the practice as we do, but the bad vibes are still there.
Take hair as an example, yes woman have short hair, but mostly it's the "pixie cut" hardly any have a "men's" hair style, and those who do are branded as lesbian butches. Which by the way... I'm not a fan of the pixie cut...

It's all very asinine. People shouldn't be so afraid to be who they are!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

mishawakaskirt wrote:In the above discussion someone posted about " Fear of Feminity" found this meme that kinda goes along with that. I don't know why society has developed this view.
That was me. This article is an interesting start...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculine_psychology#The_male_fear_of_the_feminine
mishawakaskirt wrote:Can you imagine the outcry there would be If men called for ladies to wear only skirts
Now, yeah. But I was around when it was in fact a hard rule. Girls were not allowed to wear trousers to school and trousers were not considered proper attire for women in any workplace. Even nurses only wore dresses not trousers. Even long after the rules fell in most places, the rule was still enforced on women. Only characterising it as men forcing women to present themselves as sex objects provided the political will to resist the norm. What argument do we have for the reverse that carries that kind of strength? Our job is tougher, by far.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Tackleberry wrote:I think I got laughed at this morning on a walk, I passed two female walkers and one smiled at me as I passed them but as they got a little further down I heard laughter though it may have been part of the conversation they were having...
Or they were laughing at my attempts at holding down the skirt because of the wind :lol: :lol:
Heh, I'd have laughed at that too. I laugh at myself when it happens. It's a harmless indignity inflicted on us by nature to teach us to not take ourselves too seriously. :)
Daryl...
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Daryl, Thank you for posting that link. I just read it and pulled this from the same Wikipedia entry:

Eugene Monick[edit]
In his books Phallos: Sacred Image of the Masculine and Castration and Male Rage, Monick correlates male sexuality and spirituality, arguing that the "phallos" (erect penis) is something of an existential God-image for men. He also presents his thesis that there is a difference between masculinity and patriarchy. The author also argues that there is a deep need within men to participate in a fraternity with men and to have their maleness recognized by other men, but that our society often does not take this into account. The author claims that what usually results is that these needs become frustrated and manifest themselves in often anti-social behavior and activities, such as hazing rituals.
The author says it is puzzling that we live in what he considers a male-dominated society, and yet very little work has been done to understand the archetypal basis of masculinity. He suggests that this may be due to a societal assumption of male superiority, founded on the belief that one should not question that which is deemed to be right and superior.

I hadn't thought of any of that in that manner.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Daryl, Thank you for posting that link. I just read it and pulled this from the same Wikipedia entry:

Eugene Monick[edit]
In his books Phallos: Sacred Image of the Masculine and Castration and Male Rage, Monick correlates male sexuality and spirituality, arguing that the "phallos" (erect penis) is something of an existential God-image for men. He also presents his thesis that there is a difference between masculinity and patriarchy. The author also argues that there is a deep need within men to participate in a fraternity with men and to have their maleness recognized by other men, but that our society often does not take this into account. The author claims that what usually results is that these needs become frustrated and manifest themselves in often anti-social behavior and activities, such as hazing rituals.
The author says it is puzzling that we live in what he considers a male-dominated society, and yet very little work has been done to understand the archetypal basis of masculinity. He suggests that this may be due to a societal assumption of male superiority, founded on the belief that one should not question that which is deemed to be right and superior.

I hadn't thought of any of that in that manner.
You're welcome. There's certainly a lot to be considered once you look deeper into the rabbit hole!
Daryl...
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

WOW Moon, What a bunch of narrow minded imbeciles these poor excuses for humans are.