Why one style, but not another?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tipsytim

Re: Why one style, but not another?

Post by Tipsytim »

I seem to find posts that have not been continued for some time, but I feel need something added to. Sorry. Part of the joys of being fairly new here.
Mini skirts remind me of my youth in the 60s, with all the really attractive young women. Wonderful times and sights. Now, too many possibilities for showing too much.
Knee length is now the safe option. In windy weather, I prefer straight or A line. Safer. On a warm summer day, I love full circle. Free and easy.
Memories of the few balls that I attended in my youth give me very happy feelings towards full , long, bright colours. Beautiful young women waltzing the night away. Us poor men in black tie monkey suits, with no option to show any individuality.
Mid calf always remind me of my grandmother's generation. Not a look that I find attractive.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Tipsytim wrote:I seem to find posts that have not been continued for some time, but I feel need something added to. Sorry. Part of the joys of being fairly new here.
Dead threads are a common thing in on-line fora, and occasionally get brought back to life. Just as conversations naturally do in meat-space, although those tend to stay dead because of the persistence of memory makes them fade away; on-line, the words and thoughts remain.

On styles, and why one but not another, I suspect you'll find that down to individual taste and general local circumstances. I cannot speak for others, but where I live the attitude is very prudish and we've got an exceedingly nasty hangup about anything to do with sex and everybody's always on the lookout for some way to identify it and make trouble. So, short skirts -- especially for guys -- are pretty much out. My physical geometry tends to dictate that at-the-knee looks don't work in the slightest, so I tend toward calf- and ankle-length styles. I will wear short skirts from time to time, but it's in very tightly-controlled situations and I assiduously avoid any situation that might put me in the company of children when so attired; this is simply from a personal-safety standpoint as an accusation of exposure is pretty much a conviction and lifetime-sentence of being on a sexual-offender's list (and try getting a job if you're on a List).
Mini skirts remind me of my youth in the 60s, with all the really attractive young women. Wonderful times and sights.
That'll be a common memory for any guy who's old enough to have experienced less hung-up times.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I might be with you on this one Carl....Say late fifties and early sixties , early teenage years .
Chuck Berry and Little Richard on tour in the U.K.....charming young school girls in full skirts
and net petticoats screaming their little hearts out and running down the isles of the local cinemas.
An exiting world for the young male .....We were still exploring the world without the responsabilities
of the disciplined world of the working male....I must admit I enjoyed the freedom of
my full summer skirts
For me this summer and late autumn reflected a free and casual life style.....away from the stresses
of surviving the poor quality of the weather since first frost in early November

On reflection in say 1966 the female forsook these beautiful skirts and changed the post war
fashion scene.....perhaps I am trying to reflect these lost female fashions in my male fashion outfits,
some 50 years later in my male retired life...
Ladies complimented me on these skirt outfits...but they were memories of a less stressful time
in their young female world......although perhaps I was trying to relive that era ,the female did not
revive that era : perhaps this year it was not fashionable for the female to do so.
One female friend I was chatting to in her skirt department did consider that my skirt was not
cut in the modern style .....perhaps my skirts are a classic retro style......and therefor safe for a
male to wear as I am not mocking the latest female fashion.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps my previous post does explain why I do not try to wear my skirt outfit
in the latest female fashion style. .....weeladdie
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: On styles, and why one but not another, I suspect you'll find that down to individual taste and general local circumstances. I cannot speak for others, but where I live the attitude is very prudish and we've got an exceedingly nasty hangup about anything to do with sex and everybody's always on the lookout for some way to identify it and make trouble. So, short skirts -- especially for guys -- are pretty much out.
I would expect that there would be more tolerance for girls in short skirts, especially attractive young girls. This is the sort of thing that I think females can get away with, but not males.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, some can. SD, oldsalt and Anthony do very well. Even Carl, on occasion. I wear them quite short most of the time. It's a matter of confidence and using a little decorum, knowing how to use the shortness but still maintain modesty and common sense.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I’d argue that the important thing is to get men out there in unbifurcated garb, sans concern regarding what type. Style will follow. When it does, acceptance will also follow. Few of us old men will survive to see that day, sadly.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi All,
Long, short, plain or patterned ad nauseum, it really doesn't matter.
What really counts is having the choice in the first place and using it.
Maybe, if enough of us get that, we "old men" might linger long enough to witness the revolution.
Personally, I just go as the mood takes me, mini to midi and ought in between. I just leave the floor sweepers to them as like them.
Steve.