Mary Tyler Moore and her pants.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mary Tyler Moore and her pants.

Post by Grok »

Indeed, Caultron. And it has to occurred to me that a breakthrough may come in unexpected form, in contrast to our speculations.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I watched most of the National Geographic show on the Gender Revolution with Katie Couric.

One point that the show made and that the special January issue of Nat Geo on gender made is that the Millennial generation very much views gender as a spectrum rather than a binary. In other words within a generation, all of this will probably be over except the shouting. As has been said all along, the two best ways to speed this along is first of all to assert your right to wear what you please. The key point is be assertive (nonchalantly, self-assured) but not aggressive (in your face).

The show reprises on Friday night at 9 PM.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't know if it's the same one but I videoed a programme on gender last night as we had a visitor and I didn't have chance to see it as a live transmission.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:the Millennial generation very much views gender as a spectrum rather than a binary. In other words within a generation, all of this will probably be over except the shouting. .
What are this generations' attitudes toward MIS?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:What are this generations' attitudes toward MIS?
If the two I happen to know are any exemplars they're entirely fine with the notion.

However, two is an extremely small data-set and they're both from the same family with extremely intelligent and tolerant parents, so that's going to skew the sample even more. Also, they've been interacting with me for virtually all their lives, and for the bulk of those years I've worn skirts.

Of the "Millennials" from less-aware parentage I cannot say, but I do know that for all the "rebelliousness" of children they are very much cut from the same mettle as their parents.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Dennis,

It probably is the same show.

Hello Grok,

A number of the college kids she interviewed were anything BUT gender-binary.

The articles I have seen say that an open-minded attitude toward gender is the majority opinion of the millennials so that would include men in skirts. As I think of it, most of the people making supportive comments to me, outside of the members of my church, were millennials. Including the young fellow who came up to tell me that I shouldn't let the young women who were laughing (he presumed at me, I couldn't tell and didn't care) deter me from being myself.

But, of course, as my Economics professor told us on a weekly basis, anecdotal evidence isn't evidence.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.