Look at that man in a dress

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Look at that man in a dress

Post by moonshadow »

It seems when I'm wearing a skirt out and about, often times when people make remarks about it, they always call it a dress.

Anyone else notice people confusing skirts and dresses? Sure happens to me a lot.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Look at that man in a dress

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:It seems when I'm wearing a skirt out and about, often times when people make remarks about it, they always call it a dress. Anyone else notice people confusing skirts and dresses? Sure happens to me a lot.
I have not had that happen yet, but I believe that since it seems today that most women wear pants they have forgotten that a skirt and a dress are not the same.
Oh well what are we going to do?? :?

I just wear my skirts or dresses and don't worry what the unwashed masses have to say about it. :lol: :hand: What do they know anyway? :shhh: :silenced:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Anyone else notice people confusing skirts and dresses? Sure happens to me a lot.
I've occasionally had folks confusing a skirt with a dress, but for the most part this has been on the part of older guys who may be confused that the style still exists and are possibly particularly perplexed by a man wearing such a garment. My response varies by incident, usually results in a good chuckle being had by everybody, and almost invariably a decent outcome.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Only by a boy of about 8 or 9, son of a friend. He's done it twice, must be a slow learner!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I find my sweater-dresses are recognized as dresses, as far as I know.

My skirts, on the other hand, are many times referred to as 'kilts." :shock:
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Darryl wrote: My skirts, on the other hand, are many times referred to as 'kilts." :shock:
My wife refers to my kilts she calls them skirts.
Some how I think if I wore a skirt she wouldn't refer to it as a kilt. If I only coud be so lucky.
We are just at a loss no matter what we wear. Skirt , dress, kilt, in denim , black, grey, 511 tactical ripstop cargo pockets. In western cultures if it does not have a inseam it is seen as a womans garment. That is the massive hurdle we have to get over every time we don a unbifiricated garment.
Here's to changing one mind at a time.

Mishawaka
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:..Here's to changing one mind at a time...
That's all we can do.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I do believe that men are more likely to use dress as a generic term for something non pants.
mishawakaskirt wrote: Here's to changing one mind at a time.
Mishawaka
Changing a whole mind is a bit optimistic, maybe some neurons. :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

As I posted in another thread, "dress" could refer to clothing in general. The most common use of "dress" in that context is for dress uniforms in the military.
らき☆
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

there has been at least 2 occasions when some guy has said "love the skirt mate" (or similar words) and i've had to point out that it's actually a dress that i was wearing, i've also had 1 occasion where a skirt and top was mistaken as a dress but as they did go together very well and were the same colour it was an easy mistake to have made
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I often get told, I like your skirt, when I'm wearing one of my Kilt! :D
martbd

Post by martbd »

moonshadow wrote:It seems when I'm wearing a skirt out and about, often times when people make remarks about it, they always call it a dress.

Anyone else notice people confusing skirts and dresses? Sure happens to me a lot.
If people don't know what dress is this what Google Dictionary says it is "a one-piece garment for a woman or girl that covers the body and extends down over the legs."
martbd

Post by martbd »

martbd wrote:
moonshadow wrote:It seems when I'm wearing a skirt out and about, often times when people make remarks about it, they always call it a dress.

If people don't know what dress is this what Google Dictionary says it is "a one-piece garment for a woman or girl that covers the body and extends down over the legs."
:eye:

If people don't know what dress is this what Google Dictionary says it is "a one-piece garment for a woman or girl that covers the body and extends down over the legs." But I think it should extended to men.
martbd

Post by martbd »

skirtyscot wrote:Only by a boy of about 8 or 9, son of a friend. He's done it twice, must be a slow learner!
Probably knows what's more comfortable.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

martbd wrote:If people don't know what dress is this what Google Dictionary says it is "a one-piece garment for a woman or girl that covers the body and extends down over the legs." But I think it should extended to men.
Ahh... we should petition the dictionary people to amend this as in actual practice their definition is incorrect!

It should read: "a one-piece garment worn by women, girls, and free men that covers the body and extends down over the legs."

I always liked the word "dress", it just sounds elegant.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.