let's list why we like skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: let's list why we like skirts

Post by STEVIE »

Hi B and B,
Long time, no speak, I hope you are well!
I'll concur with you, comfort is uppermost. That's physical and mental. If it doesn't feel or look right to you, it's wrong.
However, "Bear in drag", a salutory tale. The scene, a busy department store in Aberdeen. The time, an afternoon in mid Summer and very hot!
I saw a lady who would have matched your physique easily, perhaps eclipsed you.
I'll omit the detail but she was covered but "appropriately"?
She was going about her own business and showed no concern!
It would be nice to be able to adopt the attitude.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:
stevelous wrote:A loose skirt can be put on over the head. Try that with trousers.
Only if you are not broad of shoulder!
That depends. I have broad shoulders and if I'm wearing a petticoat I find it vastly easier to put the main skirt on over my head than trying to shove N-yards of petti through the skirt's waistband -- so, up and over it goes. My Mouse Works skirts were always designed and spec'ed out that way.

One of the wonderful things with skirts is that there are so many ways to wear 'em!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

The main reason for me is comfort. I also like that there's a much wider range of styles available for skirts.
martbd

Post by martbd »

dillon wrote:I like them because a man in a skirt totally pisses off the Religious Right.
I abolutely agree! :D
martbd

Post by martbd »

Caultron wrote:Excellent freedom of movement.
Outstanding ventilation.
No chaffing.
Addresses residual teen-age attention.
Gives the world the finger.
Let's you be yourself because you can't be happy trying to be anyone else.
Why didn't I take it up earlier? It feels, great. :D These garments should sold in menswear stores, certainly saves pharmacy bills.
martbd

Post by martbd »

Fred in Skirts wrote:As for me give me skirts or give me dresses!! :lol:
I love the way skirts feel on my body ( it is round ). :cheers:
The way the my body can stay cool and breathe. :santa:
The way I can do what I want to do and never feel constrained. :hooray:
With a dress you can wear it formally without a tie. unlike with button up shirts which can feel as though you're being strangled with the tie on. That's why ties are popular murder weapons in crime shows or movies. Just read any Agatha Christie story you might find it being used as a weapon.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Don't want to get gross but one good thing about skirts. When nature calls sometimes the facilities you find aren't the cleanest Its great when you can just pull it up to your waist instead of having to pull pants down to your knees.
aavisual

Post by aavisual »

Hey there Cool Breeze "yes this is an obvious benefit" , I agree with OldSalt. Easy to use the restroom. Also, skirts are more symmetrical and I think look more perfect on the human form. I like being able to change clothes in a public area, rest stop, music festival, etc.. Just wrap a skirt or sarong and you can swap on the appropriate garment for the occasion, remove the wrap and woolah! All changed a ready to go!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

STEVIE wrote:Hi B and B,
Long time, no speak, I hope you are well!
I'll concur with you, comfort is uppermost. That's physical and mental. If it doesn't feel or look right to you, it's wrong.
However, "Bear in drag", a salutory tale. The scene, a busy department store in Aberdeen. The time, an afternoon in mid Summer and very hot!
I saw a lady who would have matched your physique easily, perhaps eclipsed you.
I'll omit the detail but she was covered but "appropriately"?
She was going about her own business and showed no concern!
It would be nice to be able to adopt the attitude.
Steve.
Hi Steve! Yep, I wish I could bring myself to adopt the attitude and be totally at ease in anything "decent" however I can push myself just so far and no further. It still bugs me, when I see a woman in a very floaty, soft and incredibly comfortable looking skirt I still feel jealous, but the more feminine end of my collection hardly even sees use in my house. Giving this some thought; the floaty ones have elastic waists which don't work well on me, they also lack pockets, I really need pockets! Fiunally there is often some tranlucanc, erm, see-thru-ness about them, less than ideal as I tend to wear only socks and shoes under skirts. Definitely not ideal in public. So it's heavier skirts, belts and pockets for me most of the time.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

crfriend wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:
stevelous wrote:A loose skirt can be put on over the head. Try that with trousers.
Only if you are not broad of shoulder!
That depends. I have broad shoulders and if I'm wearing a petticoat I find it vastly easier to put the main skirt on over my head than trying to shove N-yards of petti through the skirt's waistband -- so, up and over it goes. My Mouse Works skirts were always designed and spec'ed out that way.

One of the wonderful things with skirts is that there are so many ways to wear 'em!
I just reverse the dressing order, pull on the skirt in the direction of up. Follow up by pulling on the petticoat in the same direction, works even for the 3 hooper (or is it 4 hoops? can't remember!) or even just for layering skirts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:I just reverse the dressing order, pull on the skirt in the direction of up. Follow up by pulling on the petticoat in the same direction, works even for the 3 hooper (or is it 4 hoops? can't remember!) or even just for layering skirts.
I seem to recall trying to do that early on in this magical wonderful journey and getting entirely frustrated and developing the other tactic as a coping mechanism. I should give it another go now that I'm more in tune with things.

A 3 (or is that 4) hoop cage? Interesting! How do you like it? What sorts of skirts does it work with? (Long, of course; I'm thinking fabric.)

I've got my single-hooper (which 95+% of the time is deployed sans hoop), and that causes problems with the very fine fabrics I tend to gravitate towards. I'm wondering if "more structure" would yield a better outline.

Anything deployed with my single-hoop petti gets lumped into the category "lampshade dress" by various observers, friends included. This is a combination of the facts that I haven't fully mastered it and that it creates a very definite "lampshade-break" most of the way down to the hem. These are definitely rigs designed for larger enclosures than we live in now!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Would be just great if the skirt and petticoat had ONE COMMON waist band - pull-up and on fasten the waist closing if not elastic and voila done in a flash.
As for DRESSES would have to be the step in type with the top opening enough for those broad shoulders mentioned a post or so ago.
In any event it is a bedeviled of a job to position both garments in place without doing a whirling dervish dance while standing on ones head or time to find
out why feminine fashions fasten with the button placket on the other side of the equation and finding out one needs an assistant to get DRESSED !
Ah the misery we put ourselves through to be fashionably DRESSED.
Now don't get me started on wearing a corset to make all this drama fit much better !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

crfriend wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:I just reverse the dressing order, pull on the skirt in the direction of up. Follow up by pulling on the petticoat in the same direction, works even for the 3 hooper (or is it 4 hoops? can't remember!) or even just for layering skirts.
I seem to recall trying to do that early on in this magical wonderful journey and getting entirely frustrated and developing the other tactic as a coping mechanism. I should give it another go now that I'm more in tune with things.

A 3 (or is that 4) hoop cage? Interesting! How do you like it? What sorts of skirts does it work with? (Long, of course; I'm thinking fabric.)

I've got my single-hooper (which 95+% of the time is deployed sans hoop), and that causes problems with the very fine fabrics I tend to gravitate towards. I'm wondering if "more structure" would yield a better outline.

Anything deployed with my single-hoop petti gets lumped into the category "lampshade dress" by various observers, friends included. This is a combination of the facts that I haven't fully mastered it and that it creates a very definite "lampshade-break" most of the way down to the hem. These are definitely rigs designed for larger enclosures than we live in now!
Hi,
If you dig deep in the pics and looks area for the Big and Bashful thread then dig through to 15th August 2013, you will find a photo of me wearing the 4 hoop petticoat under the historical emporium long trained skirt. It was an interesting experiment, not one for wearing in public and very interesting in high winds. Completely impractical, narrow gaps need a bit of creative thinking and manipulation, forget getting into a car! You can shorten or remove the hoops if required. Just sitting is a bit of a challenge wearing that thing!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

This is drifting a tad, but there is a common denominator.
We each have our own styles, likes, dislikes and plain old boundaries, the origins do not matter.
We like skirts because that is our choice, that's the heart of it!
Mine anyway, I just do my "thing"
Steve.
SkirtedWelshman

Post by SkirtedWelshman »

My list.
The freedom and cool breeze.
Greater choice
A way to express my individuality
The attention people pay me
Strangers coming up to talk about my look, I have met some lovely people.
The restriction of movement in short skirts.
The best thing for me is, as a man, wearing 'sexy' clothes. Something men never do.
Breaking down and crossing gender lines.
Making people think.

Martin