let's list why we like skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: let's list why we like skirts

Post by Kilted_John »

One of the reasons I like them, is because they piss off all the 3rd wave feminist liberals around the PacNW. Yet, the religious right people I run into either say nothing or are perfectly ok with it.

Other reasons:

Comfort
Expression of my true self as a male who happens to like wearing clothing that many moons ago would've been considered unisex, but, more recently became a part of the female realm and, therefore, has been deemed off-limits
They look better than a pair of shorts or a pair of pants
More practical
Much easier to put on in the morning or take off at night, before bed
Easier to deal with while using the facilities

Many reasons...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Most of the time I prefer trousers.

BUT I want the choice to wear something else - a right women take for granted.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kilted_John wrote:One of the reasons I like them, is because they piss off all the 3rd wave feminist liberals around the PacNW. Yet, the religious right people I run into either say nothing or are perfectly ok with it.
That's interesting. It's somewhat difficult to find an outspoken feminist in these parts, they tend to hang around the same areas that Pagans do, but in my discussions with modern day feminist they have always been very supportive of what I wear. I would imagine it has something to do with championing the feminine and the fact that a man.... actually wants to embrace the feminine...? It blows their mind. They are used to men who feel superior and look down on anything feminine.

Perhaps it's different over on the west coast, but feminist women over here know where they are, geographically speaking. They know they live in a region where they are expected to be submissive. So for the open minded feminist who live over here, I suppose a man like myself who openly says "I wear feminine clothes because I'm not afraid of being feminine, and even proud to express this side of me" might be a breath of fresh air.

The "true" Christians don't care. It's the political zealots that get all fussy about what I wear... but to hell with them anyway..

Those 3rd wave feminist liberals around the PacNW don't sound like any feminist I know, they sound like bitter misandrist and nothing more.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

There is a world of difference between the so-called "equity feminists" who are true egalitarians and will fight for everyone's rights etc (like Christina Hoff Sommers), and the mainstream lot who are odious misandrists, liars and massive hypocrites - and are in some cases deeply stupid.
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

It. Feels. Right.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

They are cooler for summer and select the right skirt in the winter and you will be warmer.

They feel awesome on the legs when you walk or sit.

If you wear the right skirt and the fabric doesn't touch your legs, it can feel like you aren't wearing anything at all!
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

I agree with all the above reasons having to do with physical comfort and physical feelings.
I agree with the reasons having to do with nonconformity and the inherent unfairness of clothing in our society.
I will add: because they are usually associated with women and most are purchased in the women's side of the store; that pleases my psyche, and feminine elements express the person I am. [rehash: happy to be a man, expressing myself as a man, but also expressing femininity.] Skirts help me be me.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

The most important reason for me to wear skirts is the feel, and I honestly think it looks good on me. I am fascinated of how I can wear it in winter with tights to keep warm and during summer with bare legs to keep cool. I like the feeling of the skirt as I walk when it dances around my legs. The skirt gives me so much alternatives to change my look after how I feel that day. Even if it is just for everyday activities or if I dress up for an event I always feel good looking and that I have put care in how I look that day.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

photoguy207 wrote: If you wear the right skirt and the fabric doesn't touch your legs, it can feel like you aren't wearing anything at all!
He he, that is so true, I have to look down when I walk outside some mornings to make sure I haven't forgotten something.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

denimini wrote:
photoguy207 wrote: If you wear the right skirt and the fabric doesn't touch your legs, it can feel like you aren't wearing anything at all!
He he, that is so true, I have to look down when I walk outside some mornings to make sure I haven't forgotten something.
Ha! Yes, the first week or so wearing skirts at work, I would get a feeling of air where I wasn't used to it, and have a momentary flash of panic, thinking something was unfastened when it shouldn't be! :shock: Took me a little while to just enjoy the feeling. :D
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Mainly comfort, that feeling of fresh air circulating in places that you don't get with trousers.
The lack of a crotch to cause discomfort,
The lack of a crotch to wear out, since I started wearing skirts most of the time outside work my jeans are lasting forever, they used to wear out between the legs, wear a skirt isn't there to wear.
The feel of the skirt being blown around, I feel closer to nature and the elements when wearing something that moves with the breeze.
Much more comfortable for sitting long periods, driving etc.
I like having to manage a skirt, mainly long skirts, they aren't easily ignored like pants and benefit from a bit of attention as you move, negotiate stairs or even just sit.
I can't remember ever having a negative comment when skirted, some humour which is no bad thing, but no malice.
As stated earlier, the flat lap is great for catching things that drop, not so good if the dropping thing is messy food!
I also like skirts which really modify how you move, tight or straight skirts (Hard to find when you are my size!).
I also love loose and swirly, boho or full circle type, but couldn't bring myself to wear them in public, the waftier the skirt, the more I feel like a bear in drag!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

A loose skirt can be put on over the head. Try that with trousers.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Warm when sitting still but cool when active and moving about.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

stevelous wrote:A loose skirt can be put on over the head. Try that with trousers.
Only if you are not broad of shoulder!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Big and Bashful wrote:
stevelous wrote:A loose skirt can be put on over the head. Try that with trousers.
Only if you are not broad of shoulder!
Depends what kind of waist it has..... :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.