Do I want to be noticed in a skirt.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Do I want to be noticed in a skirt.

Post by oldsalt1 »

In his last post to in My Many Mini's topic Robert stated that he wanted to find something to do in a skirt besides walking around the mall. It started me thinking. This may be a total load of bull but here goes.
is there something I want to accomplish in a skirt. is it more than Just being able to do what I want and not be bothered.

I am very annoyed that it took until I am in my seventies to realize the pleasure that i get from wearing skirts. I am pretty much at the end of my business cycle . yes I am going to work for a few more years. I am not going to make any earth shattering discoveries . But I still want to accomplish something wearing a skirt I want to have something to do besides roam the mall and not be as someone put it all dressed up and no place to go.

Sorry for the ramblings. I am still flushing out my thoughts I would like to see if there is any input from the cafe on this subject whatever it is
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do I want to be noticed in a skirt.

Post by Caultron »

Live your own life as you wish. What more could anyone want?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Yes, I do. I want to stand for something that challenges the status quo.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

I actually think this is a difficult question if I want to be seen.

In the beginning when I went out skirted I just rushed out of my car and into a gas station full of nerves and escaped back to my car as fast as could. I wasn’t shore how the reactions would be. Later I discovered it wasn’t a big deal and I continued to expand what to do skirted. Often I would go to the mall and just walking around in shops without actually needing anything. When you do this, of course you want to be seen, but I think it is more that you want to be accepted. I have hid this part of me for many years so it is naturally that I want to be able to wear what I want outside in the public.

After strolling around the mall for a period it became a bit boring. I actually started to feel lonely because I still felt I was not skirted in my daily missions. When I was skirted I wasn’t doing what I was supposed to do anyway that day. I still felt I was hiding.

When development slowly increased I have more and more taken care of the things I need to fix that day wearing what I want. I feel a lot better, and I also feel it more natural. It is so much better to be skirted when I do something constructive. That is why I do my grocery shopping skirted as often as I can. I have been to my dentist, did my haircut, went to the bank. I attended a conference for several days as I wrote about earlier. I have several times gone out to a pub or a club in the weekend during nighttime just to be able to be myself among other people. I promise you it feels so much better and natural being skirted in these situations. I seldom go to the mall these days if I haven’t anything reel to fix.

To the difficult question if I want to be seen. Of course I want to be seen, and I want to be accepted. I want to show the world that we exist. I want to be treated with respect, and I want to get feedback on how people look at me while skirted. At the same time I want it to be so natural that people doesn’t react any different to me skirted compered to how they react to the next door lady. Of course these different ways of seeing it are impossible to combine.

I want to be accepted and respected, but if I have been out and it hasn’t been any reaction I have to admit I am a little disappointed. It shore isn’t easy being a man in a skirt, he he…
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

To what was said already, because I agree with all of the sentiments, I want to add a thought. For a long time I have felt that the Lennon-McCartney lyric, "everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey," said a mouthful! It's what leads most people to "live lives of quiet desperation." They're desperate to be accepted as their genuine selves so they conform. When they see people like us matter-of-factly ignoring convention and being accepted for it, it gives them courage to be themselves in the ways they were afraid to. While many of those ways are as inconsequential as our being out and about skirted, we also know that some of them are quite consequential, blowing the whistle on wrong-doing, etc.

Recently in church our pastor asked for some congregant participation and our former pastor talked about what a struggle it was for his father to accept his old age because he was used to measuring himself by what he did and seeing that as his source of contribution. Our former pastor's point was that in old age, there isn't much you can do physically any more. At that point in life your contribution consists of WHO you are, but in our work-oriented society that's a hard one to wrap our brains around.

Oldsalt1, you're right that you've been denied decades of skirt-wearing, but don't beat yourself up about it. You had a family to provide for and skirt-wearing wasn't going to let you fulfill that need. A whole lot has changed in social attitudes over the last 8 years, don't kid yourself.

Just be the best and most authentic person you can be now and your example will be accomplishment enough.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I would say there's a measure of mild exhibitionism in what we do and why we wear skirts in public. Speaking just for myself, I don't mind admitting that I enjoy being seen in skirts, especially minis as I live for showing off my long legs, and while the public at large barely gives me so much as a glance, I know I'm being noticed, even if it's on a purely silent level, and even that gives me a thrill. I can only say this, oldsalt, just be yourself, do what you want and be happy.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

robert wrote:I actually think this is a difficult question if I want to be seen.
In the beginning when I went out skirted I just rushed out of my car and into a gas station full of nerves and escaped back to my car as fast as could. I

When development slowly increased I have more and more taken care of the things I need to fix that day wearing what I want. I feel a lot better, and I also feel it more natural. It is so much better to be skirted when I do something constructive. That is why I do my grocery shopping skirted as often as I can. I have been to my dentist, did my haircut, went to the bank. I attended a conference for several days as I wrote about earlier.
To the difficult question if I want to be seen. Of course I want to be seen, and I want to be accepted. I want to show the world that we exist. I want to be treated with respect, and I want to get feedback on how people look at me while skirted. At the same time I want it to be so natural that people doesn’t react any different to me skirted compered to how they react to the next door lady. Of course these different ways of seeing it are impossible to combine.

I want to be accepted and respected.
Our paths to wearing skirts pretty much mirror each other. Its funny when I started wearing skirts often I made a list of the first time I went to a new place in a skirt. When I stopped the list there was over 100 places. same as yours DR's office dentist utility company hair cut etc etc. Now maybe I should make a list of the places I go in pants.

As I mentioned in my other blog I have a short visit with my client today. I am sitting here in the last skirt outfit that I posted anxiously waiting for the time to head out. In this case I know I have been accepted . and if he didn't respect my choice he wouldn't have asked me to come on as his accountant.

Again I have mixed feelings Today is a holiday so the building will most likely be pretty empty. I am not sure if I am happy that the building is empty and not many people will see me in a skirt. or sad that the building is empty and not many people will see me in a skirt.
Last edited by crfriend on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Took a guess at the quoting [CRF]
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I suppose my answer would be pretty much like yours.
No.
and
Yes.

No, because I would hope that people would just see past me as just another man, accepted and normal. That the skirt would be just one facet and the whole look would be acceptable. Smart, well put together, much like Jeff and others, co-ordinated and not outlandish.

Yes, because I enjoy compliments as anyone does. I wear bright colours as that's me and bright colours get noticed. If a man sees me again and again skirted and is encouraged to break the social fashion handcuffs in any way then I would be happy. I may never know but that's not the point. I will have elicited a change in someone else's life and hopefully a beneficial change and that would be enough. Even if no-one directly compliments me just the absence of stares, laughter or snide remarks is an indication of acceptance in itself.

But having said all this I wear a skirt because it's me, I like the comfort and feeling and the FREEDOM. BTW I wore a skirt this morning when I got up but it was too late to go out for breakfast so she said that I should go out for breakfast tomorrow ( I've not eaten a lot these past few days ) to which I replied that I probably would. She said that I would probably go in a skirt as well and I said that I most definitely would, the only question was which one. So she has been told and she has been quite nice to me today.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

Early on, I too was scared to death to be seen. Then I started going out in a skirt and I think I wanted to be seen. I would go shopping for skirts, etc. in a skirt. But that was about it. I no longer needed any clothes, but I would go clothes shopping in a skirt because that was my only "useful" thing to do in a skirt. I was still doing it secretly.

One day I got the idea to go Christmas shopping in a nearby town while skirted. It was SO nice to have an actual purpose while skirted. I actually forgot my nerves. I became comfortable standing in line with a few other people while in the main aisle in a department store. No big deal. Eventually, I think I forgot that I was skirted occasionally.

Later, I tried to sign up as a volunteer so I could do something like work in a skirt. That never amounted to anything.

I have found other useful outings to perform in a skirt. Mostly, I go out to eat that way.

I do want to be seen, if I am being honest with myself. However, I do not want to be the center of attention. It's peculiar.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Good going, jjjjohnne! It seems you're making great progress!

And it's true for all of us: we don't wanting every head in our vicinity turning and gawking, but we do enjoy at a few people signalling acceptance. And as you'll continue to discover, that's virtually always the case.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron