Nice walk until...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Nice walk until...

Post by Tackleberry »

...I encountered a couple of yobs on dirt bikes and I heard (what the *%#*) I'm not sure they saw me or not but I wasn't going to hang around to find out...!!!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Nice walk until...

Post by beachlion »

The mountainbikers in my neighborhood (Allentown, PA) are nicer. I'm still not sure if they need to concentrate on the slippery track with boulders and/or steep climbs or descents and don't give me much attention but most of the time it is a friendly greeting in passing and a Thank you if I had to step aside to give them a clear pass. A few times I had a short talk but certainly not something unpleasant.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:The mountainbikers in my neighborhood (Allentown, PA) are nicer. I'm still not sure if they need to concentrate on the slippery track with boulders and/or steep climbs or descents and don't give me much attention but most of the time it is a friendly greeting in passing and a Thank you if I had to step aside to give them a clear pass. A few times I had a short talk but certainly not something unpleasant.
Same here, and I meet a lot of them on trails when I'm out hiking.

Theoretically, hikers have right-of-way over bicycles. But in practice, they're bigger and faster and harder to stop than a biker, and somehow the concept of a big, fat, knobby, dirty bicycle tire wedged up my butt just isn't that appealing. So I just move aside and let them pass.

There's some animosity between hikers and bikers similar to, I suppose, that between cars and big trucks. But I just move aside and they usually say, "Thank you," and I usually wish them a nice day. They have just as much right to be on the trail as I do.

Best practice, BTW, is for the biker to call out, "On your left," as he approaches from the rear and then, if there's room, pass you of course the left. This isn't a, "Hey, slowpoke, get out of my way," call, but more of a courteous warning like turning on your turn signal. It's also nice if the first rider tells you how many are behind him.

I've never had anyone -- hiker, biker, horseman, or off-road driver -- criticize the utility kilts I wear when hiking. If they say anything about them, it's a compliment.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Surprising you had such a reaction east of the Atlantic.

I've gotten a few of those "what tha @#$%'s" on occasion. I just ignore it.

Don't run though man.... stand tall and be proud!

A few weeks ago I was taking a walk in town, when a couple of guys pulled up beside me in a white pick up truck and expressed dislike about me taking photo's around town. He mentioned that "he's got a buddy who lives up the way who has kids, and we're just wondering what you're taking photos of".

I looked right at both of them, gave them a somewhat dirty smug look "I'm taking photos of town.... that alright with you?"

To which if he would have said no I would have invited him to call the cops and walk away. (not illegal to take pictures in public)

Fortunately, he just nodded his head and said "yeah... that's fine man" and he drove off.

I know what they were thinking, strange man walking around town in a skirt taking photos.... must be a pedophile right??? :roll: F--- them anyway, I don't give a crap about their kids! And I've got news for them, the last thing I want on my flickr album is shots of their ratty little trailer park and their inbred rug rats.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tack, don't take any notice of the emotionally subnormal. I've had one or two calls in my time and I just laugh it off and wonder if their IQ actually exceeds their shoe size.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
essexsparks

Post by essexsparks »

I've had some funny looks etc when in a skirt. best one was when I was walking through a town centre and I heard a group of girls talk about me. one exclaimed about the hat I was wearing. then the other said what about the skirt. the first said "oh didn't even see that". I turned and smiled and then carried on. I've never had much more than a few laughs and odd stares when in a skirt. had a bit more when wearing a wig but that's for another site.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...I know what they were thinking, strange man walking around town in a skirt taking photos.... must be a pedophile right???...
It sounds more like just a couple of rednecks doing their, "taint reglr," thing.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Caultron wrote:It sounds more like just a couple of rednecks doing their, "taint reglr," thing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

'taint reglr....

Ahhh... because in their view, they are the pinnacle of human perfection! We should all aspire to be like them.

'Murica :rofl:

But getting back to the OP, sounds like Tackleberry ran into a couple of 'Murican-wanna-be's.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...'taint reglr....

Ahhh... because in their view, they are the pinnacle of human perfection! We should all aspire to be like them...
More likely they find strength keepin' wid thar own kind but whatever.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Living where I do in the middle of the Bible Belt. I would have expected some open hate for my choice of attire but have found that not to be the case. I have received many nice comments and a few stares but all in all I have been received very well by the citizens here. As Moon can ascribe to when he and Jenn were here to visit. We went all over the area and had a great time with both of us skirted all of the time. I guess that it all depends on the amount of "edumacation" that the locals enjoy from none at all to having many degrees.

So just go out there and enjoy yourself and be confident and walk proud!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Tackleberry wrote:...I encountered a couple of yobs on dirt bikes and I heard (what the *%#*) I'm not sure they saw me or not but I wasn't going to hang around to find out...!!!
They didn't actually say anything to you, so why worry. They were probably just a bit surprized and for all any of us know might have gone home and tried skirts on. I've had so called yobs comment and ask questions but not once had any real difficulty.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

hairy wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:...I encountered a couple of yobs on dirt bikes and I heard (what the *%#*) I'm not sure they saw me or not but I wasn't going to hang around to find out...!!!
They didn't actually say anything to you, so why worry. They were probably just a bit surprized and for all any of us know might have gone home and tried skirts on. I've had so called yobs comment and ask questions but not once had any real difficulty.
Well to be honest after checking Facebook, there have been complaints them and their dirt bikes so I wasn't going to find out if it was me they saw or not... :wink:
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Sometimes it's hard, but I suggest not over-reacting, and not making assumptions.

Walking past a group who were working on some landscaping, I then found myself between them and another part of the crew coming back from lunch. Nobody seemed to notice until the last guy looked up from rummaging in his pockets and blurted out, "he's wearing a dress!" I wondered if it was going to be a problem until as I got past him and he said "Is that a dress? Is it comfortable?" I turned around and carried on walking backwards for a pace or two and said "It's a skirt, and yes very comfortable" It seems the first shocked comment was just surprise, not disapproval. As it was a warm day, most of them looked pretty sweaty even in their cut-offs, I feel I detected more than a hint of envy in his tone.

Could have been just a comment of great surprise rather than disapproval Tackleberry.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

moonshadow wrote:...A few weeks ago I was taking a walk in town, when a couple of guys pulled up beside me in a white pick up truck and expressed dislike about me taking photo's around town. He mentioned that "he's got a buddy who lives up the way who has kids, and we're just wondering what you're taking photos of"....
Imagine working on an architectural survey taking many pictures of houses and other buildings, with two cameras! I did that for years (before I became a skirter) and got quite a few questions about what I was up to. Yes, it's legal to take photos from a public space.

----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

partlyscot wrote:Sometimes it's hard, but I suggest not over-reacting, and not making assumptions.

Walking past a group who were working on some landscaping, I then found myself between them and another part of the crew coming back from lunch. Nobody seemed to notice until the last guy looked up from rummaging in his pockets and blurted out, "he's wearing a dress!" I wondered if it was going to be a problem until as I got past him and he said "Is that a dress? Is it comfortable?" I turned around and carried on walking backwards for a pace or two and said "It's a skirt, and yes very comfortable" It seems the first shocked comment was just surprise, not disapproval. As it was a warm day, most of them looked pretty sweaty even in their cut-offs, I feel I detected more than a hint of envy in his tone.

Could have been just a comment of great surprise rather than disapproval Tackleberry.
I would say to any man wearing a skirt that gets asked that question to really emphasise the comfort factor. In doing so, I think other men would have a positive reason for wearing one if they were considering it. (I do think a lot of men like the idea of a comfortable skirt to wear but just don't say/do anything about it!)
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews