Warm legs...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Warm legs...

Post by partlyscot »

Just ordered this one,

http://skhoopoutlet.us/collections/mid- ... 7394068417

Of course, after 3 weeks, the weather is now turning to warmer conditions. :? Never fear, it will get cold again before spring.

EDIT: I just realized that I have just spent on a skirt, more than 3 times the amount that I have ever spent on a pair of pants! Ah well, it's more an addition to my down coat.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:I had substantial leggings on, under my denim skirt today, bringing in firewood and taking out ash buckets. It was needed, and I was out only about an hour, tops. Brrr, chilly here!
So-called "base layer" underwear is good in the cold as well. While technically underwear, the long johns looks a lot like tights or leggings, and they're insulated.

Bicycle and exercise thighs also come in insulated styles and may be better for resisting moisture.

Says me here in Phoenix where it was 66° today. But I grew up near Chicago so I know what cold weather is like.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

If anyone wants warm legs, use fishnet tights. If very cold, I put 150 den tights on top of fishnets, under Kevlar jeans, if out on bike. Never feel the leg cold at all.
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

Hmmmm. Fishnets eh? Seems counter intuitive. Less coverage for MORE warmth. But if it works. Then perhaps that is a good reason for some fishnets. LOL. Might have to give that a try.
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Regular Guy wrote:Hmmmm. Fishnets eh? Seems counter intuitive.
Note the layering.

That said, and I have no rational explanation for this other than boundary-layer disruption, the effect baffles me, but nonetheless is real. For a long time I'd figured that "fishies" would have been great in the summer when one wanted "something" other than bare legs. Wrong. The things are hot in the summer. Go figure.

Now, putting a layer over the "fishies" I can absolutely understand.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

It's the same concept as a thermal blanket. Very loose weave, trapping
air between two 'solid' blankets. Also like thermal window panes with
air/gas trapped between the panes. Air is a great insulator when properly
'captured' and used.

Uncle Al

:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

I have worn fishnet hosiery in the past and I have found them to be very uncomfortable after a period of time. The thin strands that make them up tend to cut into the skin which causes me discomfort. However If the order of wear were to be a sheer pair first followed by the fishnets and then another layer yo get a pocket type of effect with eth air in those pocket between the sheer inner layer and the possibly heavier outer layer creating an insulation layer. The benefit of the inner sheer layer is that it would cushion the strands of fishnets and spread out the forces so that they do not feel like they are cutting in. I have never tried this but it sound logical to me.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

hoborob wrote: If the order of wear were to be a sheer pair first followed by the fishnets and then another layer yo get a pocket type of effect with eth air in those pocket between the sheer inner layer and the possibly heavier outer layer creating an insulation layer. The benefit of the inner sheer layer is that it would cushion the strands of fishnets and spread out the forces so that they do not feel like they are cutting in. I have never tried this but it sound logical to me.
Damn Maybe because I am new at it but it takes a long time to get one pair of tights or pantyhose on right. If I had to try to get three pairs on I'd never get out of the house :lol: :lol: :lol:
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

partlyscot wrote:Just ordered this one,

Of course, after 3 weeks, the weather is now turning to warmer conditions. :? Never fear, it will get cold again before spring.

EDIT: I just realized that I have just spent on a skirt, more than 3 times the amount that I have ever spent on a pair of pants! Ah well, it's more an addition to my down coat.
Awesome Partlyscot! You will love it! I had mine on earlier today. They ship pretty quickly. I think I had mine in 3 days after i ordered it. Enjoy!!!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

photoguy207 wrote:
partlyscot wrote:Just ordered this one,

Awesome Partlyscot! You will love it! I had mine on earlier today. They ship pretty quickly. I think I had mine in 3 days after i ordered it. Enjoy!!!
Mine will probably take a bit longer as it has to get over the border and through customs first. Forecast isn't calling for more cold for at least a week.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

In re: Fishnets:

The sequence of sheer hose, then fishnets is correct. It makes them more comfortable and as Uncle Al explained, gives you additional warmth. I never tried a 3rd layer, but I'll bet it would be warmer and more cumbersome.

Oldsalt1, once you have the first pair of hose on, the fishnets slide on a lot more quickly and easily. The third layer, at least if you want the fishnets to look like anything would probably take a little finessing, but not the end of the world. At any rate, with practice, pantyhose can go on relatively quickly.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
aavisual

Post by aavisual »

Well I couldn't hold back any longer, got myself a Skhoop insulated Original. It should be here on the 25th. I'm very excited to see what it's like.
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I've accumulated probably another hundred or so since then... I really prefer shorter skirts but this will keep my legs warm in bad weather and makes for a good mobile dressing room while on the road.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Well I couldn't hold back any longer, got myself a Skhoop insulated Original. It should be here on the 25th. I'm very excited to see what it's like.
Congrats.....You will love it!!
aavisual

Post by aavisual »

Do you have one of these Skhoops? I am concerned that I would have a restricted stride. I will soon find out. I bought a Rain Skirt from California a year or so ago, I love it but it does not have any insulation, still keeps the legs warm just being a windbreaker. It's a wrap, gotta love those wraps!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

aavisual wrote:Do you have one of these Skhoops? I am concerned that I would have a restricted stride. I will soon find out. I bought a Rain Skirt from California a year or so ago, I love it but it does not have any insulation, still keeps the legs warm just being a windbreaker. It's a wrap, gotta love those wraps!
I haven't got mine yet, but tracking indicates tomorrow or Tuesday. I did buy one of the shorter ones in a thrift store, but it was too small for me, gave it to the GF. The longer ones do have zips up both sides, so you can give yourself a decent stride. I spoke to a lady in the store with an Alaska skirt, (the long one) she seemed to be walking OK, and said it was the best thing she'd ever bought! Came home tonight in one of my regular knee length skirts and opaque stay ups, it was -6C, so I did feel the chill quite a bit, but tolerable. Should point out that up to 10-15 minutes at a time, and moving, I can handle that sort of temperature better than most.