Warm legs...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Warm legs...

Post by Tackleberry »

Now it may be a pshyco, physocol, in my imagination, but when wearing a skirt that comes down to below the knee but my legs feel warmer... :?
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Warm legs...

Post by Kilty »

haha

It's true, but I prefer straight skirts, so they can be annoying to walk in if they are calf length. I just wear thicker tights and boots instead with my knee-length ones 8)
Liam

Post by Liam »

Tights help, but I prefer the ankle length myself. But then again, I don't like being cold. :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Psychology definitely plays a part in it, but so does physics. The analogy of mittens being warmer than gloves is applicable to legs as well, and so long as the skirt is capable of trapping heat the skirt will be warmer than trousers. Also, as with anything else, the more layers the warmer something will be still.

So long as I'm not psychologically cold (which is incurable by simply raising the ambient temperature; I can be shivering at an ambient of 80 degrees (F)) a heavy tight-weave long skirt, a heavy petticoat under that, a slip for friction-control, and a pair of tights will keep me quite comfortable down to -5 or -10 (F) -- after which I give up and go indoors.

I have not experimented with the hoop in very cold temperatures... (This may have to happen, but the local environment has to drop through the merely annoying and depressing merely chilly/wet regime and into temperatures that can actually do real damage first.)

One big key to staying warm is staying dry.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

Best bet in my view, keep the core warm. Everything else seems easier after that. Marina wool is also a good place to start. It's toasty warm, not itchy, and you can wear it for days without it getting stinky. I've had a pair of leggings made out of that stuff that would go well under a skirt in the cold. I've used it in the oilfields in extremely cold weather, and it has always worked well for me.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Blackpassage wrote:Best bet in my view, keep the core warm. Everything else seems easier after that. Marina wool is also a good place to start. It's toasty warm, not itchy, and you can wear it for days without it getting stinky. I've had a pair of leggings made out of that stuff that would go well under a skirt in the cold. I've used it in the oilfields in extremely cold weather, and it has always worked well for me.
Merino wool. A significant % of my wardrobe is made of it. The GF's wardrobe has a lot more.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Next major purchase may be this.

http://www.skhoop.us/collections/long-s ... skirt-2015

or this

http://www.skhoop.us/collections/long-s ... inal-skirt

Spoke to a lady wearing the first on a -25C day (-13F) said it was the best thing she'd ever bought.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

I purchased a skirt from SKHOOP a few months ago and love it.

It's in their outlet site. I bought the XXL. $75 with free shipping.

http://skhoopoutlet.us/products/randy-k ... 7399295937

It's amazing!!
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

Grrrr spelling! Thanks partlyscot!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

photoguy207 wrote:I purchased a skirt from SKHOOP a few months ago and love it.

It's in their outlet site. I bought the XXL. $75 with free shipping.

http://skhoopoutlet.us/products/randy-k ... 7399295937

It's amazing!!
Could you do me a favor? Measure the waistband flat? I'm not sure I trust their size chart. Also, if you don't mind, can you give your waist and hip measurements.
Liino

Post by Liino »

I have one of those Alaska long Skhoop skirts from a couple of years ago. In fact, I was just wearing it 2 days ago when the temps were down to -23c with a pair warm tights. Most suitable for the cold temps. Still to cold to spend much time outside walking around when it is that cold. It is indeed the right skirt for cold temps.
partlyscot wrote:Next major purchase may be this.

http://www.skhoop.us/collections/long-s ... skirt-2015

or this

http://www.skhoop.us/collections/long-s ... inal-skirt

Spoke to a lady wearing the first on a -25C day (-13F) said it was the best thing she'd ever bought.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Could you do me a favor? Measure the waistband flat? I'm not sure I trust their size chart. Also, if you don't mind, can you give your waist and hip measurements.
I put the skirt on a flat table and measured the waistband, it was 20 inches, when I stretched it out, it was 21.5 inches.

I just measured myself, my waist measurement is 41 inches, right below my stomach ;-), and my hip measurement is 44.

When I wear the Randy skirt (I measured the length of it while I was at it and it was 24 inches long) that I bought in XXL, I wear a belt with it so it doesn't fall down. It seems they make their skirts a little loose, I am thinking next time I might try a XL. Plus hopefully I will lose some weight before then!

I am thinking about this skirt in black:

http://www.skhoop.us/collections/gore-s ... kirt-black

They also have orange, but I think I might draw a bit of attention with the orange version.

Very expensive though, so I am having a hard time talking myself into buying a skirt that is more than most of my regular everyday, i.e. pants, wardrobe combined!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Thanks photoguy, as I thought from reading their size chart, I should be able to wear the XL.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

With the talk of keeping warm legs. Of long socks, tights, leggings, heavy long skirts etc.
I thought everyone might enjoy this picture I found on the web.
Here is the link, but I also have included the picture in this post.
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205201633

My personal choice is long socks with my kilt. And yes I'm a wimp. 95 percent of the time I just go with sweatpants or jeans, why freeze if you don't have to.

Enjoy the rest of winter and keep warm any way you can men.

Mishawaka
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I had substantial leggings on, under my denim skirt today, bringing in firewood and taking out ash buckets. It was needed, and I was out only about an hour, tops. Brrr, chilly here!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...