Great for Men Too

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Great for Men Too

Post by r.m.anderson »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
Mishawaka
On another note I measured two of my kilts, the cheap traditional style was 11 feet of material. And the modern kilt has 17 feet of cotton twill in it.
Kilt material is commonly measured in YARDS and not feet (and not meters either) so take your 11 feet and divide by 3 for the yardage 3.2/3s yards a rather
small amount of yardage for a kilt. Normal is 5 yards {your 17 feet kilt is 5.67 yards} - for a full dress kilt 8 yards is common especially with fine pleating or box pleating.
With more yardage comes more weight which helps a great deal in sitting as the fabric needs minimal sweeping of the hands to be positioned under the butt.

Question when measuring for that 11 feet (3.67 yards) are you including measurements within the pleating at the waist ?
Your 3.67 yards kilt maybe closer to 5 yards than you think and your 5+ yard kilt more than that. The folds between the pleats is counted in the yard measurement !
The two aprons together should make about a yard of material for someone with a 40 inch waist.

One of the best books to read about kilt making is one by Barb Tewksbury - "The Art of Kilt Making" explaining in great detail all about this !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

An expensive exercise it has been acquiring my Khatmandhu skirt, which arrived via DHL today with a demand for Eur 22. for Customs duty, as the skirt came from Australia.
This is on top of AUS$ 100 including postage.

It is light and elastic, almost like lycra, fits OK and has nice big pockets & fly closure.

I've acquired a new Leica lumix 20Mil pixel camera, the instructions for which I have mislaid and which for the moment fails to perform as expected.

I posed a bit like Jeff1959, just for fun and submit a few pics.....

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Excellent, Tom!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

All three outfits look great to me!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

I have also tried this skirt at Kathmandu and can confirm thats its a comfortable skirt. When I first saw the pictures I was concerned that it was too straight and would need a little more aline for a comfortable stride. However, the pictures dont do it justice and it is more aline than it looks, plus stretchy material. All in all its a great skirt and hope to buy one when I have the spare cash.
DanieG

Post by DanieG »

Looks like a great skirt to me. How was the fit, is there a lot of stretch? I'm right in between two sizes and can't figure out if I should order the smaller one or the larger one. I suppose it does have belt loops but I prefer a belt-less fit.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

DanieG wrote:Looks like a great skirt to me. How was the fit, is there a lot of stretch? I'm right in between two sizes and can't figure out if I should order the smaller one or the larger one. I suppose it does have belt loops but I prefer a belt-less fit.
:welcome: Welcome to Skirt Cafe DanieG, Tell us something about yourself and how and where you wear skirts. We are a mixed lot of crazy fun folks here and we do have answers to many but not all questions you might have. So enjoy your self and please
:troll:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
DanieG

Post by DanieG »

Hi Fred,
I've been lurking at the skirtcafe for a while but just decided to chime in. I'm from up north in Alberta, Canada. I've been wearing skirts on and off for the last 6 years. I am a bit of a gender rebel and trying to break some of the stereotypes. I have gotten to the point where I am mostly comfortable wearing them out in public (the wife too) although not to work yet, though that may change this year. It's nice to find a forum with other folks that don't fit the mold. Sometimes it seems a bit lonely out there.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

DanieG wrote:Hi Fred,
I've been lurking at the skirtcafe for a while but just decided to chime in. I'm from up north in Alberta, Canada. I've been wearing skirts on and off for the last 6 years. I am a bit of a gender rebel and trying to break some of the stereotypes. I have gotten to the point where I am mostly comfortable wearing them out in public (the wife too) although not to work yet, though that may change this year. It's nice to find a forum with other folks that don't fit the mold. Sometimes it seems a bit lonely out there.
Hi Danie,
It is great that your wife is on board with the skirts that is one hurtle you don't have to get over. As you continue to wear your skirts out and about it will get easier and then you can start wearing to work if the boss says it is OK ( check to see if there are any work regulations against it first). I have not fit any mold for over 30 years now. Many people do not like me since I am not like them, I don't fit in their little idea of what a person should do or wear. Yes sometimes it does seem to be a lonely place out there BUT with people like we have here at Skirt Cafe it is a lot less lonely. As you can see I live in the middle of what is know as the bible belt of the South and i was very worried about that at first but I still started to wear my skirts out and about in their faces. I have had only one bad reaction in several years and that was some stifled laughter by a sales clerk at a pizza shop. So enjoy your skirts and don't sweat the small stuff. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

That looks like a great skirt, and Tom shows it very well. I like the colour, length, fabric, pockets, and the bit of stretch. I'd be tempted to get one if it wasn't for the ouch price.
David R

Post by David R »

So David R, please be careful when writing your 'thoughts'. Check your
"facts" before quoting them. The info I've written comes with 20+ years
experience of wearing kilts. -
Uncle Al

Thanks Uncle Al for the three benefits of pleats on the back of kilts, based on your 20+ years experience of wearing kilts, however I have 45 years experience of wearing kilts as the kilt was part of the army cadet uniform at my school Scotch College in Melbourne, Australia, to be worn one day a week.
I believe that i am well qualified to comment on the lack of functionality of pleats on the back of kilts (a subset of skirts).
My experience is that a simple knee-length skirt (without pleats at the back) is the most practical and is the least noticeable skirt to wear.
Cheers, David R
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

UA. looks like his 45+ trumps your 20+. :!: I must admit that your advice is sound as regards sweeping the peats under before seating but in my few times wearing a kilt I tend to find that the pleats on the one kilt I have don't always obey the rules. From my perspective I'd call it a draw. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

David R wrote:Thanks Uncle Al for the three benefits of pleats on the back of kilts,
based on your 20+ years experience of wearing kilts, however I have
45 years experience of wearing kilts as the kilt was part of the army
cadet uniform at my school Scotch College in Melbourne, Australia, to
be worn one day a week.
I believe that i am well qualified to comment on the lack of functionality
of pleats on the back of kilts (a subset of skirts).
My experience is that a simple knee-length skirt (without pleats at the back)
is the most practical and is the least noticeable skirt to wear.
Cheers, David R
Well David G., considering your experience, one day a week, during
your school days is really not that long. That would equal 52 days a year
for your kilt wearing. My experience is wearing the kilt 7 days a week,
4.3 weeks per month and 12 months in a year.

I have worn trousers on 'special occasions' but those were for funerals,
and as a Theatre Organist playing silent films. I wasn't inclined to
take anything away from the audience enjoying the film instead of
watching my white kilt hose as my legs & feet moved over the pedal
board. I had to "blend into the woodwork" so too speak.

I'ld say my 20+ years of FULL TIME kilt wearing beats your
45 years of casual kilt wearing. For 2016 I may have worn
trousers 5 times during the year. That left 360 days wearing the
kilt or kilted garment.

Your concept of where pleats should be, if any at all, is your OPINION.
The kilt hasn't change format for 500+ years. Doesn't that tell you something :?:
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

David R - you went to a WHISKY college? Awesome! ;-)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I'd say you both have enough experience to come to your own conclusions! Some prefer the pleats; others don't. I can't be bothered with them either, as a general rule. They swing out nicely when dancing, but they are a pain when getting into a car, and I find it more comfortable not to sit on all those pleats.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair