Slow progression

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Blackpassage

Slow progression

Post by Blackpassage »

I've been wearing skirts privately for year's. The other day was the first time that I've gone out in public. What an experience! Confidence grows as you push boundaries.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Slow progression

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Bravo! Good for you!

Congratulations!

It only gets easier.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Blackpassage wrote:I've been wearing skirts privately for year's. The other day was the first time that I've gone out in public. What an experience! Confidence grows as you push boundaries.
Excellent! What kind of skirt, and where did you go, and what happened?

And you're right about confidence. Wearing a skirt in public is only scary for you. For 99.9% of others, it may be surprising but no big deal. They'll view you much less favorably for cringing and cowering that they will for actually wearing the shirt.

So keep,it up!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Take it slow. When I first started taking car rides in a skirt I always had a pair of pants and shorts . You remember your mother used to say wear clean under ware.just in case Its the same thing. If you want to go some where in a skirt and it doesn't feel right and you want to back out don't worry about it you have plenty of time. It takes time but now I feel most of the people don't even pay attention to what you are wearing. And anybody that wants to make a stink about it ain't worth your time
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

Hey thanks for the support and encouragement! My wife is also becoming very supportive of me as well. In answer to your question, we went to a busy bottle depot, and mall for christmas shopping. Then, that evening, we went to see a movie. I was focusing hard on acting normal, and my wife was enjoying watching the reactions. And you are right, as the day progressed, I gradually became more relaxed. I wore a denim skirt and black tights..The skirt came to just above the knee.
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

I also feel incredibly relieved. I have gone out at Halloween a couple of times, but somehow, it didn't really seem to count. It was disappointing to think that the only time that I could wear a skirt was Halloween. Now, I feel that this is something that is genuinely part of my wardrobe. There is still a ways to go. I still have to break it to friends and extended family.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Blackpassage wrote:Hey thanks for the support and encouragement! My wife is also becoming very supportive of me as well. In answer to your question, we went to a busy bottle depot, and mall for christmas shopping. Then, that evening, we went to see a movie. I was focusing hard on acting normal, and my wife was enjoying watching the reactions. And you are right, as the day progressed, I gradually became more relaxed. I wore a denim skirt and black tights..The skirt came to just above the knee.
I think you're doing incredibly well! Keep,it up!

And thank your lucky stars your wife is so accepting and involved.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

Yes, I am lucky there. For a long time I never said anything. I feared what her responce might be. I started wearing a sarong around the house, she didn't mind that, and it kind of evolved from there. We have two young boys. They don't know yet, And I want to handle that carefully. I wouldn't want to either shock them, or have them be austrasized by thier friends. For now I am just picking my timing carefully. Do any of you have any thoughts on that one? Again, this forum has been immensely helpful in helping me move forward. Your thoughts are much appreciated.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Offhand, I'd tell the youngsters before they find out on their own and in a situation you can't control (e.g .one of their friends seeing you when you're out of the house and the news getting around that way). Be open and honest with them; they'll likely be more open-minded than you may give 'em credit for. Tell them the facts, and that you're still you, and it poses no direct threat to anything.

Children, recall, tend to be wildly unconventional until that gets beaten into them.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Me, I'd just put on a conservative skirt or kilt one day and if they ask why, I'd just tell them you like it and it's comfortable.

But you obviously know your domestic situation much better than I.

caultron
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

Thanks guys, the solution is likely in both those suggestions. It means everything to me to get this right. Already yesterday, my wife mentioned my skirt affinity to a friend of hers. Apparently, this friends husband is into it as well. Go figure. There must be an awefull lot of guys out there thinking about this if I can stumble on another so quickly. It's like there's a deep reservoir of wishful thinking out there, and we're chipping away at the base of the wall. At any rate, if I don't hear from you before tomorrow, have a great Christmas .

Cheers
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

This opens interesting possibilities for the four of you to go out together, or at least exchange house visits.

Another interesting possibility is if either of your sons ask, "Dad, can I wear a skirt too?"

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:"Dad, can I wear a skirt too?"
"Sure you can. However there are things to consider..."

I am very glad I do not have children.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I had a talk with my granddaughters about my wearing a skirt and I said that if any of their schoolmates call me weird for doing so then not to defend me per se but to agree with them with the reservation that I am not weird, just older and eccentric. If they were to go on the defensive then it immediately sets up a potentially hostile situation. By partly agreeing with them they diffuse the tension. May I suggest a similar approach to your children. As Caultron says I can be a crazy old man. I wish that MOH was half as accepting.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

Yeah, this thing may start to take on a life of its own. But giving the kids some tools in dealing with potential questions is a good idea. Honestly, all worth the effort though, pretty soon the oldest will be able to watch the house so we can go out for the evening.