Now that WINTER is upon us!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Now that WINTER is upon us!

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Now that winter is upon most of us in the Northern Hemisphere, :blue: what do you wear to keep warm in your skirts and dresses??? It was 19 degrees F here in the Sunny South last night. :(
I tend to wear longer skirts made from heavier materials. Along with sweater tops and knee hi stockings in a heavy material.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Now that WINTER is upon us!

Post by dillon »

Wearing spanx tights and thigh high leg warmers under a lined Woolrich corduroy skirt, just below knee length, chocolate brown, with UGG fleece lined engineer boots. On top a heavy ExOfficio fleece lined sweater, over a Kuhl lycra underlayer. I'm toasty warm even outside (temp around 34 F). Presently, however, I am in the customer lounge at a Toyota dealer getting a tail light assembly replaced in the wife's Prius, thanks to her amazing backing ability, even in a car with a back-up camera. :roll:

My old hands are really sore and arthritic today, after unloading a pickup load of pecan firewood yesterday and trying to split some of it. I've decided to rent a woodsplitter this year, as pecan wood is quite knotty and burly. I am still burning the oak I have on hand, which will be a'plenty to take us through this winter, but am cutting wood ahead for future winters, since it is currently abundant following Hurricane Matthew. The pecan was down on a friends place so I have been cutting it up. It was a 100+ year old tree and was huge. I've cut two big pickup loads and am nowhere near finished. And I have a big red oak waiting...that one will be easier to split. I have to use up my older oak this winter or lose it to rot.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Yesterday had my heavier calf-length skirt on with the usual support hose and a pair of fleece-lined leggings. Turtleneck top with a black button-down dress shirt on over it, blazer and overcoat all under a black "Indiana Jones" fedora.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Yesterday:

https://flic.kr/p/NNwHFq

Was around freezing. Photo was taken about an hour before stuff started turning to freezing rain.

I find that if you layer a couple pairs of wool socks, then layer a couple skirts with a slip, etc, you'll be plenty warm, even if your knees are uncovered. Important thing is to make sure that the whole lower leg is covered, though. Just the foot and ankle won't do it. Too much exposed skin near the bottom. Case in point, early this morning, a tree branch hit the power lines somewhere nearby, knocking the power out. Fired up the generator and ran the house on that for a while. At 4:30 am, I noticed that the neighbors had power again. So, I walked down, and switched us back over. I didn't change out of what I was wearing, which was a summer-weight floral print strapless dress, a pair of wool kneesocks and sneakers. Arms and upper back were cool, but the rest of my body remained warm. Temperature was around 34-35 deg F with a mostly clear sky.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It never got above the solid/liquid state-change temperature in my local today so it was a heavy ankle-length skirt, a voluminous petticoat (sans hoop), wool waistcoat, satin blouse, and my cloak.

The skirt was a muted red/blue/green plaid number, the waistcoat black with velvet trim, and the blouse teal green. The cloak is black and red satin and is wonderfully warm.

The cloak, however, does set off responses and one of my pals at the bar I frequent asked me for absolution. I cherish jokers. They're one of the few things that make life on this miserable rock tolerable. He went through the "Holy Father I have sinned" in Latin (bless him) asking for "forgiveness" and I, not being all that fast with my Latin, finished if off in iambic pentameter in English -- to which a guy a couple of seats away at the bar spat out a mouthful of beer from laughter.

The bartender -- a classically beautiful 20-something -- liked the look. I'll take that as a plus.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

OK, so winter in San Francisco isn't as harsh as some of you face. :)
Today it was mid to upper 50s (F) with light to moderate rain. The farmer's market where I shop is only open on Saturday, so I went. I wore black heavy cotton thigh-high socks with a below the knee gray cotton knit skirt and black half slip. On top, a bright red fine wale corduroy shirt and a mid-calf length insulated rain coat. It stopped raining in the afternoon, so I walked several Christmas cards to my local post office (they have a four PM pick up) and visited a local store and library. About a short hour walk in total. I was pleased that this outfit kept me pleasantly warm (and I'm cold by nature).
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Friday night Jenn and I went on a date, dinner at Cracker Barrel, and a movie (The Office Christmas Party), afterwards we stopped at the new Walmart in Abingdon to grab our weekly grocery supply. It was a frigid 15 degrees.

I was wearing a black sweater with white trim on the neck line under a denim jacket (men's large), below the equator was my green mouseworks skirt under my grey Macabi. The mouseworks worked it's way to where about an inch of it was showing under the Macabi, combined with the jacket and of course the hillbilly fedora gave me a "don't give a damn how I look" look. - the sentiment was genuine.

The important part was I was warm and comfortable.

Today, my denim jumper dress with purple stripped thigh high socks (from Sockdreams), a purple stripped long sleeve top was worn under the dress and my grey hoodie was worn over it. It would have been a great look if not for the hoodie, but guess what... it's winter, er uh... almost winter. (winter enough)

Tomorrow is TBD. The high is supposed to be a little warmer, I think in the 40's and maybe even hit the 50's.

No photo's, although I could have sworn I saw a flash go off in my direction at Cracker Barrel. Oh well... as they say in my generation... "take a picture, it will last longer". :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Wimps!
Friday, while it was still around freezing I had to get a mammogram.
Yes, you read that right. I found it so hard to mouth that word when I was making the appointment that I realized I wasn't going to get through this unless I was dressed for the occasion. Even though I've never had one before, I knew that I would have to strip to the waist so I figured a dress was out of the question.
When I learned how cold and wet they were expecting it to be -- they didn't know the half of it, we got a few inches of snow and then freezing rain the night before -- I knew I was going to have to wear my knee high boots. As I looked through my closet I realized my only heavy wool skirt was also my shortest! Not a good plan inside or out! So I was planning to wear my full-length black pleated number. I was concerned about how much rain and ice melt it would sop up, but you do what you have to do.
Then I remembered my deep red Parisian suit. (For real. The label says Bolero, Paris, Class 44 so I figure the original owner picked it up in the City of Lights for a chunk of change. I picked it up in the City of Roses for a song in the Goodwill.) It's polyester, but it looks like acrylic or wool.
I paired it with my hot pink (again polyester) Pendleton blouse. Also from Goodwill. With a tank top style camisole and Hanes support pantyhose underneath, I was good to go ... to my coat closet where I pulled out my lined trench coat, gloves and black fedora. A very helpful neighbor helped me clear my windshield and rear window and I was off. You gotta love 4-wheel drive. My snow tires are worn to the tread indicators and more and I got around just fine.
My attire was plenty warm as well.
I tried three times to give a full account of my trip to the Safeway Breast Center -- really, that's what it's called -- but every time the Internet gods were against me. So, when I have more time I'll write a fully detailed post in Word and then copy and paste. I'll even throw in a photo!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Leggings or tights with skirts, especially a short skirt are a must at this time of year. See below as this was what I wore yesterday when temps struggled to reach the upper 30's while stiff winds made it feel a good ten degrees colder, but I feel perfectly warm and comfortable. The leather jacket and turtleneck helped too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I finally picked up a Fraser fir for our Xmas tree last night, so I will be putting it up today, and filling up the woodbox ahead of tomorrow's forecast of rain. It's still chilly today so I'm in footed winterweight leggings and a Carhartt long sleeve henley. The shirt is a size too large and is so long that I'm wearing it as a tunic, with a cami underneath. The temperature is headed for 50 F today, and back to the 60s tomorrow.

Pdx, I assume there was some symptom that prompted you to have a mammogram? I hope and pray that you will be fine.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dave, I hope everything is OK and that the diagnostics will come back negative.

Breast cancers can, and do, strike men -- it's just fairly rare. We tend to get 'em elsewhere.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Sorry to cause the alarm bells gentlemen. Thank you so, so much for the concern and support. In the longer and more to the bigger point version of this story I was going to point out that one of the things that impressed me the most was that they don't leave you hanging in suspense; they have the radiologist tell you the news before you walk out the door! I don't have anything!

Except a sensitivity in my nipple and a low level pain in my left breast (not that my chest is really worthy of the term, but there's none other) that no one has been able to explain yet. That side of my body seems to have a mind of its own!

I'll worry about it the day after tomorrow (to paraphrase my girl Scarlett O'Hara) because I need to devote tomorrow to my very tired Ford Explorer.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

So glad to hear you are OK and nothing was found. That is the best Christmas present one could ever receive. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's great news, Dave, and I'm happy for you. Stuff like that can be quite a scare.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Nice one, PDX- good to hear. My recent camera job up where sun never shines has been pronounced clear of bowel cancer. No sign of prostate cancer now either since radiotherapy- which also burnt walls of bowel tubes, hence the camera. Touch wood. Only got osteoarthritis in right knee and borderline diabetic as well, but apart from that, in fine fettle. Old age doesn't come on it's own, lol.
As long as I can get out for a few pints, ride the bike and wear skirty stuff, I am happy.
Shortest day next Thursday- longer days pointing to a good summer- ever the optimist. :D :mrgreen:

Merry Xmas to all. Happy 2017