Black Leather Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
physics

Black Leather Skirt

Post by physics »

I’m a man. And I wear skirts. I’ll tell you how it started and what works and doesn’t work for me.

I saw this years ago in Hot Topic—the Tripp Pleather “one legged pant” which is really just a long pleather goth skirt. I thought it was cool and bought it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unisex-Mens-Wom ... Sw5cNYQJR0

I didn’t have the guts to wear it for a long time. Just too far out there. I looked at goth venues trying to match the environment to what I wanted to do but let’s face it—I’m not a goth, don’t want to hang out at goth clubs, and I just wanted to wear that skirt.

Later I bought this one:

http://www.weiku.com/products-image/133 ... 90209.html

I wore both out and in public several times. Several women thought they were cool and came up to tell me. One gothy girl working in a store in a mall said, “I like your …” She couldn’t say skirt. A few people stared. No biggie. I was terribly nervous walking around for about the first hour in each but got used to it. Paired both with a long sleeve black t-shirt and black work boots.

The first skirt is way too long and drags on the floor—and is heavy due to the internal material behind the zipper. You would literally have to cut off several inches from the bottom and would have to remove the back zipper and replace with a shorter one to make it wearable. Everyone notices the back zipper. The second just has a flap with a zipper—it is not a pocket. I found that a-line / maxi skirts are just burdensome to walk and move in.

Years later I saw something that piqued my interest—leather utilikilts. I totally wanted one. Kilts are different but acceptable. Far less inhibitions in wearing one. But they are really expensive. The cheapest I’ve found is via Kilt Collection and you can request that they make it in faux-leather for a discount.

http://kiltcollection.com/leather-utili ... r-men.html

I didn’t buy it but I thought, why not substitute with a leather skirt that would look something like it. I went to JCPenny which has a pretty good selection of faux-leather skirts and tried them on.

You’re probably wondering, what is it like to try them on? Well, I just started searching the women’s sections for leather skirts. Just wandered around. I was way self-conscious. I learned that women’s sizes are nothing like men’s sizes and the number refers to a chart which matches waist size. And petite, regular, and wide are different. So I just started picking up sizes I thought would fit and loaded them in the cart. Again, totally self-conscious pushing it around and hoping people wouldn’t see. And yes, I walked over to the men’s section dressing room even though dressing rooms are not divided.

Ok, so here I am, alone in the dressing room, trying on faux-leather skirts. I grabbed one of most every kind. Here’s what I learned:

Pencil skirts—no go. Too restrictive and often too short. Sit down with a skirt on in front of the mirror and you can see all your junk (or at least boxers). And this goes even more so with skirts that have a front split. The tapering at the bottom just doesn’t look right on men.

Flouncy / flare skirts: A little too feminine. There was a pleated midi skirt that looked ok. Not my thing though.

A-line skirts: This is what you want as a man. The cut matches that of a kilt. It gives you enough room to move and sit in. These however are far fewer than other types.

Length: Just say no to mini-skirts. Some things really do belong to women. Ideally, at least to match a kilt, you want an a-line midi skirt that goes just below or lower knee. I’m not sure why but knees aren’t attractive showing. I found this to be by far the best option:

http://www.jcpenney.com/liz-claiborne-p ... =claiborne pleather skirt

I like the fact that there is no vertical seam in the middle front like most skirts. So it matches a kilt more. The rear zipper is large and easy to zip. I found out that the skinny women’s zippers with small connector are way too difficult to operate. The gold buttons make it look a bit more feminine but you can paint over with some sort of black nail polish or leave your shirt untucked. I’m ok leaving them as is.

You might have to choose the plus size or regular size to get length right. I tried it with both my work boots that come up to almost the calf and cheap Walmart riding boots that come up to almost the knee:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Faded-Glory- ... Y/50921857

I’m sure that any riding boots anywhere from Walmart, discount stores, or JCPenny would work. Yeah, it’s a little weird trying on women’s boots but I didn’t see any cheap riding boots fashion style for men. No biggie, just try it on and see if it works.

I wore a black t-shirt that isn’t too loose and black jacket though a black sweater would work too. I did not tuck the shirt in because of a belly-band holster.
I found that I liked this skirt the best and it didn’t look too bad. Time for a field test and my anxiety is going through the roof. I get back into my regular clothes and put back the skirts I’m not considering buying.

The Moment of Truth:

I need some feedback, preferably from women, as their fashion sense is totally different from a man. And let’s face it, with a skirt, I’m going just a bit feminine here but don’t want it to come off that way.

I find a store employee in her 20’s and ask for her help. I say I want to buy this skirt and would she mind giving me her opinion? She kind of smirks a bit and says ok. I go back and put it on and come out. She is taken back a bit but says it looks ok. I try it on with both the riding boots and work boots and she likes the high boots better. She obviously isn’t into this look and is being polite. I do the same with two more store employees. One really likes the look and one says it is ok but isn’t phased.

It was cheap and on sale and I found the same size and skirt at a different store so I go there to buy it wearing my first one. The skirt is long enough that you can’t see a break between the boots and skirt so it just looks all black. I ask for some more opinions. One girl is walking behind me and doesn’t even notice that I have a leather skirt on. She says it looks good. One woman says to pull up the skirt just enough to show a break between the top of the boots and the bottom of the skirt and I found that this makes it much more noticeable. Wearing it with work boots makes it look more like a utility kilt while no break between the skirt and boots makes it look more gothy.

I put a spin on it and get in the right mood. I ask, “I just bought this skirt. Does it look good or does it look great?” Here’s what I noticed. People in their 20’s smiled if not outright laughed and said it looked great. They weren’t put off by it at all. People 30+ were taken back a bit more and tried to be diplomatic.

Out in public, stores, malls, etc., most people either don’t notice or won’t say anything. Teenagers will stare. Old men look with disapproval. Some women whisper to whomever they are walking with, “nice skirt.” One guy with his girlfriend even came up to talk to me and ask about the skirt. I found that men are generally more curious about it while women just notice it and move on.

I found that the midi-skirt is far less noticeable than the maxi skirt and far more comfortable.

I noticed that I am far less anxious about what strangers think of me. I think that the black skirt with black boots and attire pushes the boundaries just a bit but not enough to get outgrouped and ostrasized. I think that a real kilt would be awesome just about anywhere.

As for reasons, I think skirts are way comfortable but didn’t get that until I started wearing them. And let’s face it, I like to be seen in a black leather skirt too—I enjoy the attention and once I got over the nervousness, it became a great conversation starter.

I wouldn’t go with an above-the-knee skirt even with black leggings—it just goes too far over the line for me. I won’t go for pink or any bright colors. I might wear the maxi skirt from time to time but will generally stick with midi.

I don’t care about making a political statement or advocating equality. I just like to wear and be seen in skirts / kilts. Keep it light-hearted and enjoy what you do.

You have to be in reasonably good shape and have a decent look to pull this off. Someone who is older, obviously overweight or nearing obesity, has a bad appearance, or gives off creepy vibes probably needs to hit the gym, eat right, and get some social skills at Toastmasters or Dale Carnegie before going the skirt-wearing, attention-seeking route. There is a fine line between being different and being creepy.

If you are going transgender or an obviously androgynous appearance, my comments don’t apply—you likely have different boundaries and different concerns. If you are wearing skirts as a fetish—I can’t comment on your situation.

About holsters: When you sit down, unless you have a midi skirt on, it is going to ride up enough that a thigh-holster will be visible. I don’t trust a skirt to stay up without a belt for a belt holster so I go with a belly-band and keep that under an untucked shirt. It has the added bonus that if the skirt gets a little loose, the belly-band keeps it up.

Underwear: Yes, your underwear will be seen in a midi unless you keep your legs together like in a pencil-skirt. I don’t like sitting like that so I have to choose underwear knowing it will be seen. Boxer-briefs are the best for this and if you are a bit more daring, go for some metallic colored ones. Heh.
Where not to wear: at work or anywhere formal attire is expected. Probably not a good idea at church where it is mostly old people. And most definitely no in one-stoplight small-town America where things are really different than larger cities.

Where to wear: I understand the desire to wear it a lot when it is new to you but for something like running to the grocery store, probably just better to throw on a pair of jeans. However when out for anything more than that—particularly out on Friday or Saturday night, go for it.
The ideal look: For me, I like the pics of Vin Diesel in a kilt as my ideal.

Last word:

I found that all this mental drama was far more about my insecurities than anything else. Most people really don't care. They may notice, but they don't care. Get over yourself, you're really not that important to the general public. If anything, people think it is cool to see something different.

I lived in Japan for a few years and always thought that the folks dressing up in Harajuku were really cool. I was too shy at the time to express myself but I thought the people that were secure enough to push boundaries in a different way were cool. I wanted to do that too.

If you have a desire to try, field test and see how it goes. You may flop or you may fly. But either way it beats not trying because you're scared.

I think the right attitude to go along with pushing boundaries is total honesty in a James Altucher kind of way. When someone asks now, I just say that I liked the way the skirt looked and bought it. No need to give explanations or play it down. And you can't play wearing a skirt down-- you're wearing a skirt. Friendliness and openness work. And if it field tests well and you are enthusiastic about what you are doing, your 'reality distortion field' influences other people and they will get positive about you.

Pushing boundaries in socially noticeable way will amply whatever qualities or quirks you have. If you are very outgoing, it will give you more opportunities to be outgoing. If you are introverted, it will expose it more. If you already look good, you will probably look better and if your appearance isn’t great, it will be less great. On the other hand, it will expose your flaws, quirks, and insecurities in a way that can’t be hidden and you will be forced to confront them or retreat. You will not be under the radar. And you may just make skirts great again.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Black Leather Skirt

Post by dillon »

Thank you, Physics. I think you covered most of the topics on the board. Whew! And people say I get carried away on a tangent! Glad to no longer be alone, my kindred spirit!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Moderator note: I have grave suspicions on the original post, and have had so since the first time I read it. I suspect it's a shill for one of the linked sites, an outfit in Pakistan that we have had large problems with in the past. The IP address was especially interesting -- it belongs to a large US government agency; this means that either they've got someone who's posting very large articles on work time or they have a virus-infected computer that's part of a botnet (my money's on the latter) or running as a black proxy.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

For a first time poster - sure blew me away !
What a leap of faith posting the trials and tribulations of fashion forward fitting and acceptance in the public arena !
Like Dillon I tend to delve into detail but this first time poster WOW the whole 9 yards of the Encyclopaedia Britannica - and printed edition to boot !
After stating this - I hope he comes back - I like the ease and style of his post.
It has taken me quite a number of years experimenting in the closet and behind fitting room doors - try this try that - trial and error - take a peak out
in the public venue - whoops maybe that is not so smart - wear a kilt - get more confident - have a blast - find out that it was all in my head - have
friends and relatives with a positive outlook (well most of them) - know how much to push the limits and the buttons - well maybe not so much buttons
more like Velcro - hidden zippers; back or side zippers - reverse plackets on fly closings and buttons on blouses - for guys that is shirts - using the correct
terminology and descriptions in clothing construction and alterations - no a dart is not a pointy thing thrown at a target in a UK pub - all this and having
the wisdom to know whatever it was that I needed to know.

Ah Forums - can't live with-em and can't live without-em !

So I would guess that I am a few words short (actually a lot) of this new comers dissertation on leather skirt fitting - so where do we go from here ?

Physics come back for Volume Two - Chapter Two of your further episodes of wearing a leather skirt with boots Scene Two !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Physics,

You got it half right about wearing dresses to church; most of my fellow congregants are older. However, everyone, especially the older members, really enjoy the skirts and dresses I wear to church and appreciate my doing so.

You might want to explore around the forum a little to see where all some of us have gone in our skirts.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Physics, there are some things I will disagree with. Miniskirts can work and there are some on this site, me being one of them, for whom the mini is an essential and workable garment. Oldsalt looks good as does denimini and I think I look good in them too. I have flared or skater skirts as well and they are brilliant in summer as they provide well-needed ventilation.

"You have to be in reasonably good shape and have a decent look to pull this off. Someone who is older, obviously overweight or nearing obesity, has a bad appearance, or gives off creepy vibes probably needs to hit the gym, eat right, and get some social skills at Toastmasters or Dale Carnegie before going the skirt-wearing, attention-seeking route. There is a fine line between being different and being creepy."

I found the above statement actually quite offensive and feel for those who don't have an ideal body shape. Do you really mean that those overweight, bald or not classically handsome should forgo skirts and hide away in the dark recesses unless we should be offended by their appearance. No, we can't all help what we look like - we are what we are and we should all be able to wear skirts, just find the skirt that suits our body type. And don't forget that those you single out can, following your train of thought, look ridiculous in normal clothing - google Walmartians on this point.

Overall, you seemed rather TOO concerned about what strangers think. I, and many others on this site, couldn't really give a toss what strangers think. Now what those close to us think has a different level of importance. It seemed as if you were very insecure about what you were wearing, understandable in the circumstances, but then you are going to wear a skirt. Substitute the skirt for the trousers and go with confidence.

Also please don't give us rules as to where we can and can't wear skirts - not at the office or at church, that sort of thing as several on this site don't follow these, or what we can or can't wear - no minis or pencil skirts as again many of us wear just those types. Those rules may not work for YOU with YOUR social conditioning but please don't try and impose them on others. Moon lives in rural southeast America and really rocks in his attire, he knows the environment that he's in and is aware of the dangers and takes care. I could wear a skirt for work but choose not to. I work in a retail environment with much bending down and climbing of ladders so the environment is not amenable to skirt wearing.

I could go on but have probably said too much already so I'll shut up.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Thank you Dennis, you said just the right amount.

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thanks Dave, I had to say SOMETHING as my dander was well and truly up. No room for some of his thoughts here. Not impressed.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

I'll give you that one Sinned. If I were to see another guy in a skirt while I'd prefer a nice knee length or longer, I'd rather see a miniskirt than a Goth skirt. All the buckles and rings and zippers do not appeal to me at all. In my humble opinion they detract from the skirt rather than embellish it.
RADER

Post by RADER »

I just got a fake leather knee length skirt; It is to die fore.
I love the way it clings to your legs as you walk, and when you sit down,
the feeling of the skirt tight around your legs is great.
I find myself wearing it most of the time now.
Rader
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Thanks Dennis, saved me .......... not that I was prepared to do alot of typing after the alert from crfriend.
physics wrote:Length: Just say no to mini-skirts. Some things really do belong to women.
It is not far removed from someone saying skirts just belong to women.
Better for a person to say "mini skirts aren't for me" than to join the fashion police.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Hello Rader,

Having owned two, I have to say, as the song said, "Ain't nothing like the real thing baby. Ain't nothing like the real thing."

Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was fine with his insecurities as we all have them, some times more than others. He seemed to trust the opinions of others over his own gut feeling and, sorry, I just don't trust some to tell me the truth as opposed to what I want to hear. But to tell us when we can wear skirts and when we can't and who can wear them and who can't then a red mist appeared. Some of you wear skirts that I wouldn't and in circumstances I wouldn't but then the reverse is probably true. Some of your looks infringes my social conditioning but after a while I adjust and do a software update to cope with the new look. I don't know who physics is but he just went too far.

I have a fauxish leather circle skirt but I would really love to get a real above the knee leather one. Must give ebay a skim after the holiday season.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but do use CAUTION with the faux leather material be it in skirts pants or whatever rocks your fantasy !

The CAUTION is the fire hazard of the material of faux leather is in most cases petroleum based and under heat melts and doesn't do the
skin any favors unlike real thing leather which temporarily blocks the heat giving you ample time to escape the problem.
This was a problem when the PVC faux pants first came out. Of course the acrylic materials in skirts can replicate this too - after all the
modern materials are petroleum based blends with synthetics - check the fashion label for the fabric contents.
So don't get all cozy and cuddly in front of that fireplace - and then someone comes by and yells "Pants-On-Fire" ! Not kidding! No LOL !

No you are not going to explode in your skirt kilt pants or maybe not even suffer any consequences other than the loss of your modest covering
but just be aware and stay away from getting too warm for your own good.
Faux leather does not flame and flash instantly but melts and causes burns like melted candle wax.
So there you have it Holy Season - holy cow jumped over the moon - holy britches and holy skirts *** !

*** Don't be Jack jumping over the miscalculated candle stick in a faux skirt !

Of course it is winter what could possibly go wrong ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

My $.02 worth, after reading his lengthy post, is he belongs at
Balloon Festival with all that "Hot Air" he spewed out. :twisted:
More like a 'Troll' than a contributor. :troll:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)