What makes it a period. Period .

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

What makes it a period. Period .

Post by wsherman »

It have a front apron, It overlaps left to right, plate around the back, so it say ?
A kilt? No, it goes down to my ankles, And "to my eyes that makes it a skirt! Quotation mark.
I called the same garment A long kilt. The comment was made by my wife when I was idly conjecturing about wearing a kilt jacket vest and tie and of course a shirt with it to dress it up. I thought it was a good idea.
Your comments, please.
By the way it's a solid color navy blue garment.

Take care!
Bill
"Form follows function quote and engineers proverb
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What makes it a period. Period .

Post by Caultron »

Any more, I think a kilt is anything with pleats on the sides and back and a wrap-around apron in front.

Obviously the definition for a full traditional wool tartan kilt would be far more restrictive. But when you look at all the things sold and worn as utility kilts, the definition gets kind of vague.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Cauldron, I think you're certainly ride it has broadened but it's brought him to the point where it doesn't even really have to have plates to be called a kilt!
I recall reading my Hineline stories especially the last of us long ones where the main character wore our Garman that was called killed. While that Garman was never actually described in full detail as far as I remember I brother got the impression that it was not plated.
In reality there have been several vendors of men's on Beiger vacated garments that had called them Kilts. Mountain hardware Milton kilt is one that comes readily to mind and following the thread from "Men skirt links" thread I took a look at purple rain skirt side and their men's kilt is not pleated either yet they call it the kilt which converts too short of a sword.

And say how often have you heard somebody here on the café mentioned that someone called their skirt a "kilt"? I'm beginning to wonder if the word killed is becoming a catchall term for any man's skirted garment.
I myself was once a stickler for differentiating between the two I killed a skirt that came in time to realize that a difference that makes no difference is no difference (Thank you Mr. Spock!) Pleated are non-pleated it's still a skirted garment!
I wonder how many other vendors out there are selling skirts as "Kilts"?
This may be another instance where a society uncomfortable with what it's saying is trying to gender rise the garment or the accessory I. E. Man bag, murders, Mandel's, Mantie hose, etc.
When my wife made the comment that to her eyes it look like a skirt she was referencing Kilts as a kneelength garment not One that went entirely down to the ankle. However that kilt could and sometimes did go to the ankle depending on the weather and the need. The pleats in a kill did not become formalized and till around about the 18th century and even then they were only loosely selling in so that kilt could be reversed and worn to extend its usefulness. Before that it was just simply folded in the pleats to make it easier to keep it about the body and provide more warmth. After all it was only an eight or 9 yard to link of wool cloth.
And if you believe the stories it took an Englishman to do it! LOL! That is to put in permanent plates
So again thanks Mr. Spock quote a difference that makes no difference, is no difference!"

Take care!
Bill

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

I don't want to go back and try to edit some problems with my last post so if y'all forgive me I'll do an addition here.
I was referencing Robert A.Heinlein and his "Lazarus Long"stories along with others that he had written.
I'm not very good at typing on the iPhone so I use the dictation feature and I guess Siri is as hard of hearing as I am ! LOL!
By the way my quote from Arthur C Clarke about trousers being at Western absurdity was found in a book with a picture of him wearing hey sarong. I agree with him! Especially on a hot day!
That's all for now folks!
Take care
Bill

Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

My wife persists in calling all kilts skirts, which slightly irritates me, which I think is why she does it. It's her little form of protest.

But you have to draw the line between a plaid skirt and a tartan kilt somewhere.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Caultron wrote:My wife persists in calling all kilts skirts, which slightly irritates me, which I think is why she does it. ......
My wife is the opposite. She calls my skirts kilts because she feels more at ease with a man in a kilt than a skirt. For me it is no problem and in the end she will get used to it (I hope).
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I have a kilt style skirt that I wore to the dentist last Wednesday and then to a family Thanksgiving on Friday (yea, I know wrong day but there were family reasons). Only the dentist and my brother said anything and they both called it a kilt. It's only a kilt to the extent that it wraps in the front and has a pin-like decoration on the front. No pleats in the back or other kilt characteristics.
I have a long red plaid skirt I may have to wear for Christmas and see if my brother calls that a kilt too. :twisted: :lol:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:...My wife is the opposite. She calls my skirts kilts because she feels more at ease with a man in a kilt than a skirt. For me it is no problem and in the end she will get used to it (I hope).
A rose by any other name...

caultron
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I'm keeping my eye open for a basic kilt-like skirt, or just a tartan skirt. I've had a pleated-all-the-way-around skirt called a kilt as well as a plain black pencil skirt. If that is the extent of some people's processing of what they are seeing, I'll take it.

My friend Polly kept looking down and to the right and muttering "skirt" every time I waxed enthusiastic about getting a kilt. While the kilts were on the way, I kept replaying the conversation in my mind and one afternoon said "fish or cut bait" and headed out to the nearest Lane Bryant store and told the sales lady to "dress me."

Then I wore the skirts around Polly. Funny, you'd think that if she thought a man's kilt was just a skirt, then a skirt should be just as acceptable, right? Well.....

Tolerated, is the word, I think, right now.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

My wife likes me in kilts so I bought one and made a few other kilts. To make the transition to skirts, I made a skirt with a kilt front. That step went well and after a few weeks I started to wear denim skirts in and around the house. That went well to and when my wive calls my skirts kilts, I will not fight it.
P1010276q.jpg
Kilted skirt or skirted kilt?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Looks good!

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I made that skirt with a lot of pockets to "sell" it as a working skirt.
Liam

Post by Liam »

wsherman wrote:?.. And "to my eyes that makes it a skirt! Quotation mark.
I called the same garment A long kilt. The comment was made by my wife...
I had the same experience. I started out making my own kilts, and when it started getting cold, I made several long kilts (my name for it) which are identical to my other kilts (approns in front, pleats around back) but go to my ankles. My wife said they look like a skirt. :lol:

I wear my regular utility style kilts out and about and also to work. I have been doing so for about 6 or 7 years now, I rarely wear the long kilts mostly just out of not enjoying being stared at which my wife says is only because most people haven't seen something like that before. But I definitely prefer the long kilts.

The first time I wore one of the long ones to work, my boss asked if it was a winter length kilt - I thought that was the best name for it I've heard yet.

As an aside, since my wife kept calling them skirts, I went ahead and bought several long skirts on amazon, and I wear them constantly around the house. I tell her I don't get why everyone doesn't wear them. However I wouldn't wear them out and about though because I must have my pockets, and my kilts already do that perfectly. :D
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Caultron wrote:My wife persists in calling all kilts skirts, which slightly irritates me, which I think is why she does it. It's her little form of protest.

But you have to draw the line between a plaid skirt and a tartan kilt somewhere.

Same here :( my wife calls my kilts, skirts. And she does it with an annoying kinda lysp tone, so annoying. Yes a kilt is basicaly a type of skirt, by definition it skirts aroud your body. So it is a skirt in function. But its a mans skirt. ( ladies let us atleast have ONE and not fuss about it)
The other day I was on a long winded, long distance phone call, being in the bedroom on the call I decided to put on my new kilt. (Only if the other side of the call knew)
After the call I decided to venture out into the living room with it on and am greeted with a sarcastic "really". Guess id rather know her true thoughts than get a fake you look great. Why can't they understand us?
I guess we could do a kilt the original way. 9 yards of woven fabric, manually fold it, and cinch it on with a belt. But then they would be like " why are yo wearing a blanket?" Sometimes ther is no pleasing them. :(

Mishawaka
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
Caultron wrote:My wife persists in calling all kilts skirts, which slightly irritates me, which I think is why she does it. It's her little form of protest.

Same here :( my wife calls my kilts, skirts. And she does it with an annoying kinda lysp tone, so annoying. Yes a kilt is basicaly a type of skirt, by definition it skirts aroud your body. So it is a skirt in function. But its a mans skirt. ( ladies let us atleast have ONE and not fuss about it)
The other day I was on a long winded, long distance phone call, being in the bedroom on the call I decided to put on my new kilt. (Only if the other side of the call knew)
After the call I decided to venture out into the living room with it on and am greeted with a sarcastic "really". Guess id rather know her true thoughts than get a fake you look great. Why can't they understand us?
I guess we could do a kilt the original way. 9 yards of woven fabric, manually fold it, and cinch it on with a belt. But then they would be like " why are yo wearing a blanket?" Sometimes ther is no pleasing them. :(

Mishawaka
Sometimes!?!
My wife says she agrees with all of the arguments that say man should be able to wear skirts. She says that but when it comes down to brass tacks she will not even consider anything but a traditional or utility kilt style garment out in public; whether she's with me or not. The action really give the sly to the stated the leap. I find this exceedingly frustrating.
Here in North Dakota the winters can be brutal with when chills sometimes getting into the 20 to 30° Below zero Fahrenheit at those times on the rare occasions I get out I think to myself a long skirt or kilt would be so much better . I have come to really dislike trousers they won't stay up, they bind, I find that I walk on the cuffs, and in summer they're hot, and winter they're cold and there's not much you can do to alleviate either issue. And I don't find shorts any better .

Things blind has the advantage of not being able to see the look that people pole at the side of a man in a skirted garment! "Out of sight, out of mind".
The only way I know someone has noticed yes if they comment on it to me or near enough to me to hear it.

I believe in the concept of men wearing skirts! And since I believe I will continue to wear an advocate for man to have the choice.

In the end gentlemen hold your heads up, square your shoulders, and go where ever you go like you own the place!

Take care,
Bill and sir Brinkley the exuberant who celebrated his ninth birthday today November 30, 2016!